AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-04, 19:03

If you can restrict carbs, personally I think you’re going to lose more weight lifting weights, especially if you can spend the majority of your effort on the major muscle groups in the legs and back. Lots of squats, deadlifts, pull downs and rows. But everyone is different, and everything gets boring after a while, so it’s nice to have something to pivot to when you’re feeling less enthusiastic about your workout.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-04, 19:19

I think that is very true, but if you are trying to add muscle mass then restricting carbs too much is a bad idea. Your body will wind up burning protein to fuel itself, and muscle growth will be retarded as a result. There is a fine balance. The important thing is to find the right carbs. Cauliflower and soda pop are both loaded with carbs, but they are not the same thing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-04, 19:55

Yeah, and going too far with it can be dangerous too. It's different for everyone, and even for the same person it changes over time. If you got enough of a fat store, you can sustain a more aggressive start and keep it burning for a couple of months, but if you don't come into balance you either give up eventually or risk damage to organs. Get enough water, get enough potassium, eat a lot of vegetables. If I'm going to try to see about burning off about 5lbs a week for the next couple of months, and then work out the fine tuning after that...

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-05, 01:22

Oof. The cardio fitness rating showed up when I updated to iOS 14.3. I have a shockingly low score.

Is it okay to tell myself it’s because I live a mile above sea level?
drewprops
Bastard

2021-01-05, 02:03

Leaping Ludovico Einaudi... I have turned into a fat gob.

The finest super dark chocolates, crazy afternoon Coke Zeros, hot and cold running potato chips, fancy Starbucks holiday drinks, and precious little exercise because I'm in self-imposed Covid lockdown jail.

And I know that I need an Apple Watch to help keep me alive, but I just HAVE to wait until this fall when the new one comes out.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-05, 11:50

This guy inspired me to attempt a variation on the theme whilst I am on work from home for another 6 months or so, but only during waking/working hours. Maybe a km every hour for 10 hours, and working my way up to a mile. Seems interesting

A Different kind of Marathon

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-05, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Yeah, and going too far with it can be dangerous too. It's different for everyone, and even for the same person it changes over time. If you got enough of a fat store, you can sustain a more aggressive start and keep it burning for a couple of months, but if you don't come into balance you either give up eventually or risk damage to organs. Get enough water, get enough potassium, eat a lot of vegetables. If I'm going to try to see about burning off about 5lbs a week for the next couple of months, and then work out the fine tuning after that...
Yeah, getting the veggies and enough protein into the mix aren't as easy as it sounds, especially when you also need a bunch of carbs and yada yada yada.

Turns out, there are lots of veggies that are loaded with carbs. Again, I've been using Lose It, and there's just no way my stupid brain would be able to figure a lot of this stuff without that kind of help. Just yesterday I was trying to figure out how to get more carbs into my diet without drinking Coke, and realized through the app that cauliflower and broccoli are both carb-heavy. Yay me!

But, you have to cook that stuff in advance or it's like gnawing your way through a wood fence.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-06, 00:03

I'm still planning to do my core strength routine three times a week while doing the cardio the other 4 days.

Incline flies, pull downs, lunges, curls, wall sit (2 minutes) are my normal strength loop and I do three sets of 15 reps other than the wall sit. I start off with crunches and plank for 2 minutes.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-01-06, 11:13

I noticed a little logo on our treadmill yesterday, for "iFit.com". I looked it up and they have an app that lets you match incline changes to maps, do workouts created by a trainer and so on. So I tried to connect it. Turns out, our treadmill is so old that I have the previous version of this technology that relies on....a 3.5mm jack to a CD-i machine, with a special disk. Needless to say, I've gone back to manual...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-06, 11:19

I found a local personal chef who started a home meal delivery business. My first delivery appeared on my doorstep at 7am this morning.

12 paleo meals a week. My biggest enemy is my own laziness (and delivery services) so this is an experiment to remove that excuse.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-06, 13:52

Heh, my treadmill has a "Passport" that you can plug into a TV and then follow along on paths and trails and such. We haven't bought it because the sales guy was railing about how bad the connection and experience was.

I don't really want to talk about my meals yet. I know it is why I've not progressed in my weight loss like I think I should. I don't eat much refined sugars at all. I can't say none, just not much at all. It is all those other carbs that get me though. Way more carbs than protein. I'm working my way back to where I need to be, paleo is amazing but not cheap either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-06, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I don't really want to talk about my meals yet. I know it is why I've not progressed in my weight loss like I think I should. I don't eat much refined sugars at all. I can't say none, just not much at all. It is all those other carbs that get me though. Way more carbs than protein. I'm working my way back to where I need to be, paleo is amazing but not cheap either.
Menus are hard if you can't get the entire family on board. I've tried, with no success. I'm sad about that. When you've lived 25 years on a high-carb/fat diet, it's really difficult to get away from it. Whether it's addiction or comfort, I don't know, but I cannot get my family to swing. They just won't.

I will continue to eat what I eat, and will continue to fight against the urges.

It sucks, and that last ten pounds of belly fat is harder because of it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

Send a message via AIM to Yontsey Send a message via Skype™ to Yontsey 
2021-01-08, 07:26

I just weighed myself Wednesday and I dropped 5lbs between Thanksgiving and then. That was with drinking beer, eating pizza, tacos, chipotle, pasta, and a lot of bourbon. If you put in the work, you can eat whatever you want. I am about 4.5lbs away from my High School Senior year Football weight and since January 2015, I'm down 57lbs.

I am conscious about what I eat and try and eat pretty healthy during the week and cut corners where I can but what I'm saying is just put in the work and eat watch what you eat and you don't have to worry about diets and fads.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-08, 10:52

I can lose 47lbs on the Krispy Kreme diet! YAY!

Ok, I know I know. I will say it is true though. My weight it slowly going down and I'm not really eating all that great. Not horrible, just nothing a trainer would be happy about. My biggest thing is getting the portion sizes right. I'm not even talking diet portioned, just not half the pizza when we have one kind of thing.

I don't portion my protein at all, If I could put down a 16oz steak then all the better. It is more limiting the carbs/starches. Snacks being limited to an actual serving size or less. It is those little foxes that are making it take longer for me.

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-08, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I just weighed myself Wednesday and I dropped 5lbs between Thanksgiving and then. That was with drinking beer, eating pizza, tacos, chipotle, pasta, and a lot of bourbon. If you put in the work, you can eat whatever you want. I am about 4.5lbs away from my High School Senior year Football weight and since January 2015, I'm down 57lbs.

I am conscious about what I eat and try and eat pretty healthy during the week and cut corners where I can but what I'm saying is just put in the work and eat watch what you eat and you don't have to worry about diets and fads.
This is absolutely true. Losing weight is all about calorie deficit. If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, then your weight will drop regardless your dietary choices.

I am pretty certain that the best weight-loss plan is to determine your ideal BMI, figure out the best caloric intake for that BMI, and then just eat that while performing moderate exercise. Eventually, you will reach that BMI (although it may take a while to get there). At first, you will lose weight very rapidly, but then the losses will begin to taper off. But, you will certainly get where you are going.

If you want to move it along faster, then you just eat less and/or exercise more.

However, one must be careful to balance their diet. You can still lose weight on the pizza and calzone diet if you exercise enough to put yourself into a calorie deficit. However, you may find yourself in an unhealthy state as a result.

I know that the last ten pounds I need to take off is all dependent on that deficit, but it's hard to add muscle and burn fat at the same time while maintaining a deficit. The balance is crazy hard to find. I don't want to burn protein for fuel (which can include burning off muscle). I want to add muscle, which requires tons of protein and carbs, with a moderate amount of fat. But then that fat intake wants to go right back to the gut. It's frustrating as hell!