User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Current State of Things®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Current State of Things®
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-13, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have to say, though I am conservative and voted that way, I'm appalled by the actions and inactions of Trump. I can't believe we have been able to sit and watch the mob run through the Capitol and spit on America that way. That is not the actions of people trying to do the right thing or even stand up for truth. That was nothing more than a mob of whining and crying idiots. Hopefully those who broke the law will be held accountable.

It is truly saddening to see the honorable places in our country's governance be disgraced like this.
Thank you.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-13, 08:21

At this point Frank is just playing sophmoric games with poorly defined concepts and stretching the definition of words to suit his purpose. It's the type of argument I would expect from a person indoctrinated with tautologies...
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-13, 12:06

Do I need to break out a religion thread?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-13, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Do I need to break out a religion thread?
Not sure. I guess it depends on whether we want to return to directly discussing the riot inside the Capitol.

I think everyone here - liberal and conservative - is in agreement that those idiots should be hunted down and prosecuted hard.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-01-13, 12:37

It's done.

I don't like having to break up threads, but current events are driving discussions all over the place. I suspect that will be the case for the foreseeable future.

Also, the Current State of Things® is not just about capitol riots. This thread can morph into all the partizan, party-idiology, political BS it wants to. I won't split out any political wrangling. However, if it spins off into religion then it will get split into this thread.

And leave the name-calling at the door, folks.

Personally, I don't think of politics as a flat line, where there is a "left" and a "right" with some unseen utopia at the far side of one or the other "wing". I see politics as a circle with two points: At the top is "Freedom" and at the bottom is "Slavery". The political parties begin to drift away from each other at the top, where Freedom lives. As they drift, they descend the arcs of the circle toward the bottom. If either side drifts too far, then we arrive at Slavery. My experience within political debate has taught me an important thing: That once your ideology carries you too far in either direction, the momentum will naturally lead to the bottom of the circle.

Right now, both sides are swinging past the point of no return (which one might call the half-way point, or "Liberal" and "Conservative"). We are no longer cooperating—like two river-loggers trying to keep the log from spinning in either direction. And if we're not careful the two are headed for a final clash at the bottom—where the Marxists and Fascists live—and both sides will get dumped into the river.

It won't be good.

I've also learned that neither side believes it has drifted at all. Each believes it is at the top, and tries to spin the circle to prove this. The current state of American politics is riding a fine line between a possible recovery and absolute defeat. And if/when it falls, the United States of America will fall hard. Very hard.

And then we will know what it is like to truly be "poor".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-01-13 at 13:04.
Quagmire
meh

2021-01-13, 13:12

Congress needs to use this opportunity to jettison everything that Trump has represented. January 6th has been the culmination of what Trump has been stoking over the past 5 years( counting his campaign) and what the GOP has stepped behind ever since he won the nomination/election in 2016.

People want to say impeachment is just another thing the Dems are using to further divide, but I don't see it that way. It's a clear message what took place after 1/6 and the events and rhetoric that led to it no longer has a place in our government. So I see that talk as sweet irony after they voted to object to the electoral college results. It's finally holding Trump accountable for his behavior after years of GOP defense publicly. This offers a clean break for the GOP from Trumpism. Some are ready for that break. While others either buy into it( those that immediately accused it being antifa instead) or out of fear( fear for their lives, families safety, or career) continue to back Trump.

Plus precedent needs to be set that even though you're about to leave office, you can't commit impeachable offenses and get away with it. So that angle of, " He only has a week left, what's the point?" is also BS. It prevents scorched earth exit. Presidents should be able to be held accountable all the way to January 20th at 11:59 am.

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-13, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Plus precedent needs to be set that even though you're about to leave office, you can't commit impeachable offenses and get away with it. So that angle of, " He only has a week left, what's the point?" is also BS. It prevents scorched earth exit. Presidents should be able to be held accountable all the way to January 20th at 11:59 am.
I have a really hard time arguing or disagreeing with you here. I guess I'm still in shock that this even happened.
Quagmire
meh

2021-01-13, 18:00

Just saw this that could have been the night before?

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/...8990%2Fpage-36

If it was the night before..... How did they get access inside? There are no public tours.

EDIT: That vid certainly backs up this report from CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...sot-nr-vpx.cnn

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2021-01-13 at 18:36.