User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!
Page 2 of 10 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-02, 22:35

Yay! List updated!
  • BradSmith
  • Dellphi
  • drewprops
  • Elysium
  • gerlocian
  • grendagle7
  • RowdyScot
  • SpecMode
  • turtle
  • WhammerSlammer/kscherer
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-02, 23:17

Awesome!!!

Hey can we discuss our audio communications a bit?

It's a HUGE component of the gameplay in UHC.

Is Skype the easiest for everybody?

Spec and Dellphi and I tried out a talk app (Ventrilo maybe?) awhile back.

Either way, we need to build in time for all the teams to call up to a main conference call and then for the teams to fall back to their own team conference calls before we drop the flag and yell GO!!

EDIT: maybe we don't need to have a main conference call at the beginning since we're not broadcasting, but it would still be kind of fun

What about Twitch, is that something that we could do?
Broadcast our games via Twitch so that the rest of AN could follow along in our adventure??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-06-02, 23:24

Ventrilo or Teamspeak should work. Skype can, too.

Edit: I will be trying to stream on Twitch. Checking a couple of things first, as I'm not certain the upload is good enough to do it, but I'll know by Thurs if I can stream.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-02, 23:43

We used Skype for the Enderdragon battle when we first opened up the End; I think it worked well enough that I wouldn't mind using it again.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-02, 23:49

Do you think we should have that first conference call, so that we can all say hello and such? It will cost us 10-15 minutes extra, but I think it would be fitting to have that.

Also: what's our protocol for when someone dies?

Can the dead people stay tuned in, but muted, or should they drop?

IF they were the host for the call then the other team members would have to take time out to reestablish a phone call before proceeding.

Thoughts?

Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-02, 23:58

I'm cool with letting ghosts stay on the call with their microphones muted, if they so choose; the idea is that once a player is eliminated, they may provide no further assistance (material or otherwise) to the remaining members of the team.

They do have to drop out of the game itself, though; having respawned (but no longer participating) players on the map could cause issues with teams still in the game.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 00:10

That's the benefit of one of the other methods - nothing about calls having to be left on.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-03, 00:19

Rowdy could you elaborate?

I'm not quite sure I understand your remark following Spec's.

I'm very excited that this is happening, btw!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 00:35

Using Vent or Teamspeak basically just sets up a chat room without anyone really hosting, per se. Skype requires someone to host the call, and if they die, they have to stay on it while leaving the game.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 07:13

Looks like the Ventrilo server is free if you run it yourself. I'll see if I can set up an instance on AN.com proper tonight (leaving more of Turtle's upstream dedicated to the game).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Edit: I will be trying to stream on Twitch. Checking a couple of things first, as I'm not certain the upload is good enough to do it, but I'll know by Thurs if I can stream.
I'm not even going to try Twitch because I'm sure I don't have enough upstream bandwidth. If you're considering it, definitely check thoroughly beforehand because you don't want to lag down during the game.

I'll be using a screen recorder (I still have my Snapz license) and uploading to YouTube when it's all done.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-03, 08:22

Oh, good point. Maybe I can hook up an external drive and use Snapz as well. I wonder if that would bog my MBP down though?

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-03, 15:01

I'll be recording with FRAPS like I did last time. Editing it afterward will be fun, though, given that my iMac (with its 4 wonderful cores) is out of commission...

Maybe this time I'll remember to turn F3 off after I use it to check my coords, too!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Looks like the Ventrilo server is free if you run it yourself.
Ventrilo may be disqualified because of limitations in the free version. It looks like TeamSpeak is more liberal with its free version, and I'll be trying that out tonight too!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 21:30

So far TeamSpeak looks like a winner for our voice chat! The free version I'm currently running supports 32 clients and unlimited rooms. In fact, it's running right now if anyone wants to join.

In fact, everyone should try to join at least once between now and Friday to be sure that it's working for you.

Here's the super quick summary for setting up the TeamSpeak client.

1. Download the client from here: http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads
2. Once you've launched the client app, go to the Connections menu and choose Connect (or press cmd-S).
3. For the server address, use applenova.com. For the password, use applenova. For the nickname, please use either your forum name or Minecraft name. Then press the Connect button!
4. You should see something like this:

At some point along the way, the client will ask you to be sure your microphone level is configured appropriately, and it'll ask if you want to press to talk or have it automatically detect when you're talking. I've set mine to auto-detect and am hoping for the best.

I think that's it... but I'm going to need to test with at least one other person to make sure we can actually hear each other.

When we all get online Friday night, we can start out in the default channel until we're ready to split up into our teams. Then you can join one of the other named channels by dragging your username into it or right-clicking and selecting Switch to Channel.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Oh, good point. Maybe I can hook up an external drive and use Snapz as well. I wonder if that would bog my MBP down though?
No idea! Do what I did and try it out for ~10 minutes while just goofing around in the game. Aside from one frighteningly abrupt freeze for a second a few minutes in, I'd call my own test a success. I recorded 11 minutes of 1440x900 @ 30 fps. The raw scratch file was 14.13 GB and the compressed movie was 3.2 GB. Assuming a linear scale, for me 3 hours of gameplay (assuming I survive to the end) should consume 230 GB of scratch. Then maybe another 52 GB for the final output.

Hmm... maybe I should run in a window or something instead... decisions decisions.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-03, 21:45

I'm in! Just tried it and was able to connect to the server. That hotkey setup is a pain. It wouldn't let me chose an alpha numeric or symbol. Kinda limiting isn't it?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 21:49

Brad, I'm on and set up with it if you need to test.

Edit: Can test if you need to as well, T.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-03, 21:53

Dang. I'm out for the night. Could we try around the same time tomorrow night, say about 10 PM EST? I'll be there.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 21:58

Should be fine. I'd also like to test Twitch streaming. Got that set up, but I need viewers to come by, too.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-06-03, 21:59

I'm game
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 21:59

I'll stay in TS for a bit if anyone wants to test.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-06-03, 22:41

My setup will be a bit cumbersome with the MacBook handling the TeamSpeak and the Hackintosh the game, but it works.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-06-03, 23:18

Played around and got some settings ready. Will have to fumble around with Twitch a bit more tomorrow, though.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-03, 23:19

TeamSpeak is freaking AWESOME.

We should have done this a jillion years ago!

wow O.o

Tonight I talked to Rowdy and to Elysium.
Talk to the rest of you jokers soon!

Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-03, 23:41

I'm guessing I came along too late, but the password refused to take.

Server: applenova.com
Password: applenova

I'll try to get on tomorrow night, but no guarantees.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-03, 23:45

Whammer that's what I used and it worked - yes, try again tomorrow.

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-04, 00:48

Hmm...I'll have to install and test on Friday at some point before we start – I won't have access to my PC until then. Sounds like it probably won't be terribly difficult, though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-04, 20:17

I won't be able to get on the TeamSpeak tonight after all, but since some of you guys were able to successfully chat yesterday, I'd count that as a successful test!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-06-04, 20:57

I'll be on there in a few minutes, after I get back from the poopdeck.

Yarr.