User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

It's that time of year again...recipes! Share 'em if ya got 'em!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's that time of year again...recipes! Share 'em if ya got 'em!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 20:04

Figure we could make a neat little "one-stop" thread, to corral all the 'Nova favorite holiday recipes (Thanksgiving for many of us here is this week, but the next six or so weeks is full of holidays and get-togethers as well).

1) Pick one thing you do really well, or that is maybe your unique "special dish", and give that one. And if you want to do others, create a separate entry. Let's keep it lean and mean: one dish per post (for easier browsing, copy/paste, etc.)

2) Let's follow a standardized format for ease of browsing and following, cool (copy and paste the format below, replacing the normal, non-bold areas with the the relevant info suggested by the bold headers:

Category: Beverage, Appetizer, Entree, Side dish, Bread, Desert (I guess those six things would cover most...add others, within reason, as needed, but I think the above six catches most of it).
Prep time: A rough estimate
Cooking time: Again, a rough estimate; give folks here an idea of what they're getting into...are we talking 20 minutes, or three hours?
Ingredients:
List them vertically
With returns
Like this
For easy scanning/grocery list creation
Directions:Tell us how to make it!

Feel free to include pics, especially a final, "after" shot of the dish in all its slaved-over glory!

I know there are some people here who can sling a mean dish (and will be doing so in the coming days and weeks), so this is the time when you get to share your favorite(s) with others!

Happy holidays, one and all. Ho-ho-ho, and all that...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-11-19 at 20:16.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 21:14

Hmmm...well this is going over about like a poot in the Vatican.

*crickets chirping*

"Hello...is this thing on?" tap*tap

Well, I hit one into the dirt (ricocheting over into the dugout, killing the batboy) every once in a while. They can't all be winners.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-11-19, 21:15

Chicken Orgasmatron

Category:
Entree

Prep:
10 Mins

Cooking:
1 Hour 20 Minutes

Ingredients
1 Whole Chicken. 3lb or so should be good.
4 rashers Bacon
1 bag Shallots
8 medium Mushrooms
Butter
White Wine
Chicken Stock (I use the OXO cubes, or the powder)
1 glass white wine
250ml Sour Cream (or Creme Fraiche, if you can get it) (Light works fine)

Method:
Preheat Oven to 200C.
Chop the onions and mushrooms coarsely. Put the roasting tin on the hob and heat with the hob. Melt about 50g of butter and then fry the shallots in it until soft. Add mushrooms and also fry for a few minutes.

Take a small amount of butter and rub the chicken with it. Also place a small knob of butter into the crevice between the thigh and breast on both sides. Drape the breast of the chicken with bacon rashers.

Pour the glass of wine onto the shallots and musrooms and allow to reduce for a moment. Then add two cups of stock and bring to the boil. Place the chicken in the roasting tin and transfer to the oven.

Roast for 1 hour and 20 minutes. 20 minutes before the end, pull the bacon off the chicken and put into the base of the tin. If the stock appears to be boiling dry, top up with another cup of stock. You're aiming to have a thick but liquid remnants in the bottom of the tin. Don't worry if it looks a bit dark and burnt on - that's good.

Take out the chicken and carve as usual.

Put the roasting tin on the hob again and add the sour cream. Heat gently and stir until the stock and shallots mixture mixes with the cream to make a sauce. Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables of your choice. Pour the sauce over everything!

This is not diet food, by the way....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 21:21

And with one entry, Bryson saves the thread. Thank you.

Sounds really delicious, by the way. The name alone gets it a 4.5-out-of-5 rating!
¡Damned!

2007-11-19, 22:38

I guess this could go in a seasonal thread, as fall/winter is generally the time I make it the most. I give you:

709's Meatless Meatloaf

Category: Main Course
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: Approx. 1 hour

Ingredients:
1 medium sized chopped white onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 can Loma Linda's Vegeburger*
1/2 lb. grated colby cheese
6 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 stick (1/4 lb.) butter
4 slices whole wheat bread, cut into ~3/4" cubes
3 tablespoons ketchup (!)
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
Sauté chopped onion and green pepper in butter until tender.
Add bread bread cubes and mix together.
Put mixture into a large bowl.
Add Vegeburger, cheese, eggs, garlic salt and seasoning.
Mix well.
Mix brown sugar and ketchup in the bottom of a loaf pan.
Stir until brown sugar is somewhat dissolved.
Spray sides of loaf pan with Pam (or non-stick whatever).
Put mixture into loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately an hour.

Invert on serving platter and enjoy!

————————————————
*Note: I haven't been able to find the Loma Linda Vegeburger everywhere, so I improvise with those veggie tubes of 'burger'. I cut one up like sausage patties, fry it up in a pan with a little butter, wait until the tops and bottoms are a bit brown and then add some water and ground pepper into the pan. I then chop up the patties in to pieces with a plastic spatula while the water is boiling down. When the water is boiled off and the mixture is still moist I'll throw it into the mix.
————————————————
(!) Even if you don't like ketchup, it's mandatory for this recipe.
————————————————

Best served with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed brussels sprouts.

Holy Yum. If I wasn't cooking a full blown Thanksgiving this week I'd make it tomorrow.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 22:51

It would be cool if we all lived an hour or two from each other...everyone could just make their specialty and we'd throw a big 'Nova feast! Eating, a talent show, a political debate, airing of grievances (my list is short this year, only about 145 ), a keg or three of beer, Murbot's Good-Time Story Hour & Joke-a-Rama and then "A Christmas Story", "The Rocketeer" and "The Thing" on the 52" plasma.

Oh, and the Go-Go's provide live entertainment (and a kissing booth).

And we'd hire Jon Bon Jovi to serenade Carol with her favorite holiday tunes, wearing only a strategically-placed Santa hat (Richie Sambora on sleigh bells and harmony vocals).
Freewell

2007-11-22, 13:05

From the side dish category, in honor of 709 and everyone else who despises teh evil yams with marshmallows...

Sweet Potato Casserole

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and add topping.

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 1/4 cups sugar (1/4 cup more if fresh sweet potatoes are used)
2 eggs
3/4 stick of butter
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Topping:

3/4 cup crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 stick butter

Melt butter and combine with other ingredients. Spread over potatoes and return to 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Best served right out of the oven. Doesn't do as well prepared ahead of time, as the topping gets soft when reheated.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-22, 13:13

RICE KRISPY TREATS

First, take a box of rice krispies....

*ducks*

But seriously, that chicken up there is all good. Especially if you know Celsius conversions and metric system. I could see someone not paying attention there and preheat their over to 200F. Like those little kids they always put on the radio this time of year, with their "how to make Thanksgiving Turkey" ideas.

"First... um... you put the Turkey in a big pot..."

"A pot?"

"Uh huh... and then, you put some bread underneath it and tie up the legs with special strings."

"Strings?"

"Um yah. And then, you put it in the oven with some potatoes and cook it for like... 3 hours."

"How hot should the oven be do ya think?"

"Uhm... maybe like... really hot... maybe 180 degrees or something like that."

"180 huh?"

"Yah, cuz this summer it was like 110 outside and my Dad cooked an egg on our driveway, so 180 is pretty hot!!"

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-11-22, 13:18

when i get past my tequila hangover i will post my amazing egg nog recipe---mmm maybe i should make some now to clear the head

g
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-22, 13:52

Stuffing

Bake 2 packs of jiffy corn bread

In a pan you cook one onion, with two apples(the green variety), with a stick of butter, and walnuts. Then you add chopped celery. And season with salt and pepper, and a bit of emerial's seasoning. Cube the corn bread, and to the mix add a second stick of butter. Then fold everything together. A tip for the corn bread is make it quite on the dry side, and use milk not water for the mix. But it is an easy and very good home made stuffing
So then....
stuff the turkey with some and put the rest in a thick baking container (we always use emile henry bakeware)

Panna Cotta (French for cooked milk)
this is a desert is kinda like vanilla gelatin

2 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (i get real vanilla beans or this paste witch is just the center park of the seed)
1 1/2 envelopes gelatin, unflavored

In a saucepan add the 2 cups of milk and the the heavy cream. Bring to a heat and simmer. In the remaining 1/2 cup of milk add the gelatin and stir. Remove the liquid mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and the milk with the softened gelatin. Pour into 6 dessert cups and chill for at least two to three hours.

Then I take for a topping. 3 packs of frozen raspberries, and one of frozen blackberries. Ad sugar and a sweet wine of you're choosing, you cook until it is slightly thick (coats back of spoon) then strain though cheese cloth and use this to top and plate the panna cotta.

and lets see... I will post as i remember what i usually cook
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-12-16, 22:12

So delicious....

You will need:

Fresh beet, without the stalks
Fresh Pomegranate
Goat Cheese
Angola leaves
Walnuts
Vingearette (I would recommend Raspberry or Blackberry)

Steam or boil the beets and peel off the skins then dice it. Crumble the goat cheese and get Pomegranate's seeds out of the shell, then toss everything together, and voila! a salad that isn't as boring!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 22:47

jdcfsu's Complete Meal

This is a meal, well main course and dessert, that I put together in college. It's pretty solid. Hope you enjoy it.

Simple Marinade

1 cup Pineapple Juice
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1 1/2 TSP Ground Ginger
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Garlic Powder

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl with 1 lbs of flank or strip steak (multiply the ingredients for more meat). Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Grill to taste and serve with grilled pineapple on top.

Cookies Delight

*Note: This isn't my recipe, but it was given to me and deserves to be passed along.*

Ingredients
2 Tubs of Cool Whip
2 Packages Regular Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 Gallon Milk

Directions
Pour the milk into a cereal size bowl. Submerge as many cookies as will fit into the milk. Keep submerged until they are almost ready to fall apart but still solid enough to handle whole. Get a large serving bowl and line the bottom of the bowl with the cookies. Cover the layer of cookies with a layer of Cool Whip. Continue to layer submerged cookies and Cool Whip until you run out of room in the bowl or cookies. Cover and refrigerate for about 24 hours before serving. Serve in individual bowls and watch as people fall in love with you.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter

Last edited by jdcfsu : 2007-12-16 at 23:00.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2007-12-16, 23:02

I will try to track down the recipe for Dreamsicle cookies. It's a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe, but with white chocolate chips instead of the regular kind and some amount of Tang mixed into the batter. DELICIOUS.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-12-17, 00:36

I thought I had previously posted my prized Jambalaya recipe in another thread, but a search doesn't find it.

So here you go...

This may look complicated at first glance, but it's not. It will turn out great even if you don't follow my instructions exactly. No two batches are ever exactly the same! A few ingredients are marked Optional, if you want to simplify a bit.

It makes a huge batch (10-15 servings) and refrigerates & reheats extremely well.

Many people (even some snobby New Orleans natives!) have told me it's the best thing they've ever tasted, including some who said they never liked spicy food before. If you are serving anyone highly adverse to cayenne spiciness, cut the Creole Seasoning allotment in half, and make the seasoning shaker available for everyone else when serving.

New Orleans Creole Jambalaya
"just like ya'mom'an'em use ta make!"

Category: Main Course
Prep Time: 15-30 min.
Cooking Time: approx. 1.5 hrs

Ingredients:
One 28 oz. (large) can Crushed Tomatos (Optional - add half a small can of tomato paste for extra color)
8-10 cups chicken breast (approx. 4 breasts)
One Package Smoked Sausage (Cajun ANDOULLE, or HOT Ekrich, Hillshire Farm, etc. - the spicier, the better!)
** (note - any two meats will do - pork, beef, shrimp, etc.)
One 32 oz. bag long grain white rice (Optional - Uncle Ben's Converted costs more but works exceptionally well).
Two bunches of Green Onions (Optional)
10 cups of Chicken Stock
**note: (about 6 small cans, or 2 large ones. You can make your own while cooking chicken - I usually use 1 or two cans of chicken stock PLUS the stock from cooking).
1/2 cup Olive Oil
2 Bay Leaves (finely crumbled)
2-3 medium to large white onions
4-6 Green Bell Peppers (OPTIONAL - extra credit for using equal parts green, red, and yellow bell peppers)
5-6 Garlic cloves (pressed or smashed -or just use minced garlic which is almost as good)
1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley leaves (Optional)
Pork Gravy - 1 envelope of powdered mix (Optional)
1/4 to 1/3 cup Cajun or Creole Seasoning for recipie, plus as desired for chicken rub
*** (Look for Creole Seasoning from Zatarains, Tony Cacheres, Cajun Magic Seasoning Salt, Konriko)
*** www.zatarains.com makes & sells the BEST Creole Seasoning you will find
*** OR - you can make your own close substitute - 1/3 salt, 1/3 black pepper, 1/3 Cayenne pepper

Utensils:
1 Medium-size saucepan, 2-4 quart (only needed if preparing Pork Gravy)
1 Medium-large pot, 6-8 quart
1 Large pot, 8-12 quart
Tablespoon and small (1-2 cup) & large (4-8 cup) measuring cups
Spoon for stirring and knife for cutting vegies
Several bowls for holding chopped vegetables and other ingredients
Garlic Press for fresh garlic (unless you're using minced)

Cooking Instructions:
Rub raw chicken in creole seasoning and cook in 4 qt. or larger pot by boiling approx. 20 min. or until nearly fully cooked.
OPTIONAL - some people like to brown the chicken slightly in a frying pan before boiling.

While chicken cooks (or during prep), chop vegetables and cut sausage.
Chop one white onion very finely, one or two coarsely.
Chop bell peppers coarsely - about 8 to 12 slices per pepper.
Chop parsley finely.
Press or crush garlic cloves.
Crumble bay leaves as finely as possible with your fingers (or use a grinder).
Slice the stalks (the green parts) of green onion into quarter-inch pieces, and discard the white parts.

Slice and de-skin uncooked Smoked Sausage to 1/2 moon shape, 1/4” thick, and put in refrigerator.

Put garlic and bay leaf pieces in one container, finely chopped onions and parsley in another, and coarse onions and bell peppers anywhere else, so they will be ready to add at their proper times.

Cool and separate chicken from skin and bone (OR just use boneless skinless chicken breasts). The Chicken stock can be boiled down a little further and used in the recipe if desired, or discarded.

Cut separated chicken into bite sized (0.5 to 1 in.) pieces and set aside - put in refrigerator if it cools before you use it.

Prepare pork gravy with water per package directions in medium sized saucepan.

Pour prepared pork gravy along with 1-2 cups of chicken stock (1 or 2 cans) into medium-large pot, stir well, heat to a low simmer for 10-15 min.
**(Pork Gravy CAN be skipped for a simpler version, in which case sausage is added 10 min. earlier to large pot and cooked with everything else).

Put olive oil in large pot and heat to medium or medium-high. Add garlic and bay leaves and two pinches of finely chopped onions, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.

Add about half a can of chicken stock to large pot and allow mixture to regain simmer.
Add bell peppers, coarse onions, parsley, and half of creole/cajun seasoning (4 tablespoons or so).
Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes.

Add about 1/3 of gravy/stock mixture to large pot.
Add crushed tomatoes (and tomato paste if desired) to large pot and stir in thoroughly.

Reduce heat if necessary for low simmer in large pot and stir every minute or two.
Increase heat on gravy/stock mixture to bring to a low boil.

Add Sliced Smoked Sausage to gravy/stock mixture (give it more chicken stock if necessary), cooking on high for 5 minutes or so.

Add entire gravy/stock/sausage mixture to large pot.
Add chicken pieces along with the rest of the creole seasoning (or add seasoning to taste) to large pot.
Simmer and occasionally stir large pot for another 20 minutes or so.

Last step - cook the rice.
**OPTIONAL - minimize any chance of burning rice in final stage by using medium pot to cook rice according to package instructions with one part chicken stock and one part liquid from large pot instead of water. Stir cooked rice into large pot before serving).

Add the remaining Chicken Stock.
Increase heat (and cover) if necessary to reach a low boil.
Add uncooked rice and stir till low boil returns.
Cover and reduce heat to Low - set timer for 10 min.

When timer goes off, uncover, stir, replace cover, cook for 10 more min.

Check rice for doneness -if it's still al dente, add 1/2 cup chicken stock or water, stir, cover, and cook 5 more min.
Repeat if necessary.

Remove large pot from heat and uncover. Garnish on top with chopped green onions (optional) and serve.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-17, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I will try to track down the recipe for Dreamsicle cookies. It's a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe, but with white chocolate chips instead of the regular kind and some amount of Tang mixed into the batter. DELICIOUS.
Holy smoke...for some reason, that made me just smack my lips in anticipation.

I'm not big on sweets and such, but something about that just grabbed my attention...

I would actually attempt something like this, just because it sounds so out-of-the-ordinary!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-12-17, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Holy smoke...for some reason, that made me just smack my lips in anticipation.

I'm not big on sweets and such, but something about that just grabbed my attention...

I would actually attempt something like this, just because it sounds so out-of-the-ordinary!
I had exactly the same reaction - except that it was to the Cookies Delight with Chips Ahoy and Cool Whip. I gotta try that!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-12-17, 01:42

Best recipe EVAR.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-17, 04:13

ROBOMAN'S AMAZING CHAI TEA RECIPE OF AWESOME

Preparation time: About twelve seconds

1 part chai tea concentrate
1 part fat free milk

Pour equal parts chai tea concentrate and milk into cup. Serve hot or over ice.

...that's about the extant of my culinary know-how, sadly.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-17, 10:34

Jack Daniels Irish Coffee with Holiday Muffins

1. Brew your favorite coffee after a tiring Christmas Eve with family

2. Pour coffee into large holiday mugs once brewed

3. Stir in 1.5 shots of Jack Daniels Whiskey to each mug

4. Finish with chocolate cinnamon stick and a swirl of whipped cream on top

4a. Turn off all non-holiday lights in the room, cue Bing Crosby Christmas CD
(this is an important step, there is no substitute for Bing... you will see)

5. As the scalding hot coffee is cooling a bit, suggest to beautiful wife or girlfriend, that she subtract dinner party clothes and undergarments, add sexy holiday neglige, and wrap it all up in her favorite warm, fuzzy robe and slippers. Also, if you are in stuffy holiday clothes, replace with you favorite pair of sweats or something else that is comfortable.

6. Give Irish Coffee to wife or girlfriend when she arrives on the scene. Sit back on the couch together and enjoy the drinks and atmosphere.

7. 30 minutes later, enjoy a moist, delicious holiday muffin.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-12-17, 11:02

You're a cad!

I was sitting there, like a fool, going "when does this goober get to the muffin recipe?!? I don't need 'gettin' it on' instructions..."

Moogs, the yuletide Barry White.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-12-17, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
ROBOMAN'S AMAZING CHAI TEA RECIPE OF AWESOME

Preparation time: About twelve seconds

1 part chai tea concentrate
1 part fat free milk

Pour equal parts chai tea concentrate and milk into cup. Serve hot or over ice.

...that's about the extant of my culinary know-how, sadly.
I predict that you will be an *UNBELIEVABLY* good cook someday, Robo.

This is something I just know in my bones.

So fret not, sugarplum. It is... *destiny*.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 12:19

Bringing this thread back to life, because I need some advice. I bought a beautiful swordfish steak this morning...now deciding how to cook it for dinner tonight. I would grill it, but it's really thick, and I think it would take forever to cook through. So, my plan is to broil it. So far, I've found two recipes online that I'm considering. They are both very simple, but the first one is more traditional, while the second is more exotic. Here's the first recipe from (source):

Quote:
GRILLED SWORDFISH WITH CHERMOULA

Ingredients

2 T. ground coriander

2 t. chili powder

2 t. smoked paprika

1 t. ground cumin

1/2 t. ground black pepper

2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1 shallot, peeled and minced

1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for grilling

1 T. chopped fresh mint

1 T. chopped cilantro

Zest of 1 lemon, chopped

Kosher salt

6 swordfish steaks, 1-inch thick

Method

In a small bowl, combine the ground coriander, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin and ground black pepper and set aside. In a second small bowl, make the chermoula by mixing together the olive oil, mint, cilantro, lemon zest, 1 T. of kosher salt and 2 T. of the ground spices mixture. Set aside.

Heat a clean grill to medium. Drizzle a few drops of olive oil on the swordfish steaks and sprinkle with salt and the ground spices mixture. Cook the fish 4 minutes per side or until done and serve immediately, passing the chermoula.
I really like the spice mixture here - especially smoked paprika. Now, here's the second recipe (source) featuring zaatar:

Quote:
Zaatar-crusted Swordfish

Ingredients (serves 8)

40g (1/4 cup) sesame seeds
1 1/2 tbs sumac powder
1 1/2 tbs dried thyme leaves
3 tsp dried oregano leaves
8 (about 200g each, 1.5cm thick) swordfish steaks
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Method
Combine sesame seeds and sumac in a bowl. Place the thyme and oregano in a mortar and pestle and gently pound until crushed. Add to the sesame-seed mixture and stir to combine.

Preheat barbecue grill on high. Pat swordfish dry with paper towel and sprinkle both sides with zaatar mixture, pressing firmly to coat. Drizzle with oil.

Cook swordfish on preheated barbecue grill for 3 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
I love zaatar, so I'm heavily leaning toward this one. Oh, like I said above, I would broil instead of grill. Can anyone else give me a good recipe for broiled or pan-fried swordfish?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-10, 14:37

I think I'd go with the first one but I'm no chef so don't take my word for it. Just sounds really tasty / zestehhh!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 18:53

I chose the first one. It was awesome.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-10, 22:01

:thumbsup:

Glad to hear it...
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-11-23, 18:17

Well, here's the pecan pie I've decided to try this year. I made a few modifications, basically following (most of) the ingredients & their quantities from this recipe and combining it with suggestions from the New Best Recipe Cookbook I have. It's essentially the same pie I made last year (which was delicious), but this time I'm trying to bring dark chocolate & Maple syrup into the pie. If you want a more traditional pie, leave out the chocolate and replace the 3/8 C of Maple syrup with an equal quantity of corn syrup. The bourbon flavor is certainly pronounced in this recipe, so if that's not for your palate decrease the amount to 2 Tbsp, or leave it out altogether (although I have to admit the flavor it does add is delicious; last year, I used Pappy Van Winkle's 20yo last time around, this year I'll stick with something cheaper but still tasty, e.g. Elijah Craig or Eagle Rare).

dark chocolate pecan pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C Pecan halves, toasted for 7 minutes and coarsely chopped
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 oz. Dark chocolate
  • 1 C Dark brown sugar, tightly packed
  • 3/8 C Maple syrup
  • 3/8 C light corn syrup
  • 3 Large eggs
  • 0.25 Tsp. salt
  • 1 Tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp Bourbon
  • 9 inch pie crust (e.g Pillsbury, or whatever...or make your own)
Directions:
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle section, preheat oven to 375˚F. Cover pie crust with foil, and bake for ~25 minutes, remove foil and bake for additional 5 minutes. Make filling during this time.

2. Add pecans during last 5-6 minutes and toast. Cool, then chop coarsely.

3. Filling: melt butter & chocolate in a bowl placed in a skillet with water warmed to a simmmer (e.g. a water bath), remove from heat and, then mix well with the brown sugar & salt. Beat eggs into the mix and once incorporated add the corn syrup, maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla extract. Return bowl to skillet, stir and heat until mixture is ~130˚F. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.

4. Decrease oven temperature to 275˚F once pie shell is out of oven, and move rack to middle position of oven. Pour in pecan mixture.

5. Bake until pie is set & soft (should yield gently when center is pressed with the back of a spoon, around 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely, around 3 to 4 hours.

6. When serving, if you want the pie to be warm (assuming it was made the night before, or at least cooled completely to allow it to set), heat it in an oven at 250˚F for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with freshly made whipped cream.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2008-11-30, 16:57

Just finished off one of the dishes that I made from turkey leftovers - it's very much a New Mexican dish, as you might have a hard time finding green chile in the necessary quantity, but it's just too good not to share.

Turkey/Chicken Green Chile Stew

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of chicken and/or turkey breast (a good mixture is recommended), cubed
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cans of chicken broth (2-3 cups)
  • 2 tomatoes, finely diced
  • 2 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
  • 1 pound (16 oz.) of chopped green chile - fresh is best, but frozen is easier to find and works as well
  • (optional) 1 small can of tomato sauce (for color/flavor)

Directions:

1. Place chicken broth, diced tomatoes, potatoes and green chile in medium/large pot (maybe 4 quarts? I just use the largest pot I have and it works). Cook over medium heat as you prepare the meat for the stew.

2. Heat cooking oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) in medium or large frying pan over medium heat; add cubed chicken/turkey and cook until all pieces are no longer pink. Should take around 5 minutes.

3. Add crushed/diced garlic to meat, saute for approximately one minute. Add flour to mixture, stirring continuously to create a roux. Should take around 1-2 minutes for everything to be properly mixed and ready.

4. Add mixture to stewpot and stir to combine ingredients. Bring mixture to slow boil (medium heat should be sufficient), stirring occasionally and cook until potatoes and meat are tender. This should take 45-60 minutes, depending on how tender you want the potatoes. Cooking for an extra 15 minutes on the lowest possible heat helps with this, I find.

5. Add salt and cilantro to taste; serve with warm flour tortilla or slice of French bread.

Serves 4-6.

Try experimenting with this recipe if you like - I used leftover roasted turkey in my last batch of stew, shredded, and it really helped with the flavor and texture of everything. Great for breakfast in a cup with a fried egg on top, or great for those cold winter evenings!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
Freewell

2009-02-24, 19:19

Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post

Best recipe EVAR.
I don't know Bryson... I think this new recipe gives yours a run for its money!!

Where's Windswept?!
¡Damned!

2009-06-15, 21:25

'Nother Bump.

Just wanted to bring this thread to the top to give FFL mad love for his Jambalaya recipe. I just finished making it about 20 minutes ago and holy god is it fantastic.

It's officially in my cooking rotation now...something that's impossible to get into without me fucking with it 10 times to get it "right." I deviated a little bit, but I'm here to tell it's a rock-solid recipe.

Thanks again, man. This is made of win.

So it goes.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-15, 21:33

Hey 709, you know offhand how many quarts that recipes makes? I'm going to a potluck Saturday and FFL's recipe sounds perfect. I'm trying to figure out if my 6 quart Dutch oven can handle the full recipe, or whether I should make a half batch.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick