Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Post your computer setup pic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your computer setup pic
Page 6 of 48 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
KillleriMac17

2005-03-26, 16:56

Here is mine.. actually took this pic about a month ago.

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-03-26, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy
It is very, very easy to pop the lid off of the LCD on an iBook. You can do it with the machine on so you can test the mod. I basically put a blue colored gel over the light (after cutting away the diffuser that is already on there). I couldn't find a legit gel, so I made mine with inkjet transparency paper. I've changed the color a few times, and realized it needs to be darker than you think. I just wish the case was like the old G3 cases, where you could strip the paint and paint the inside.
Ah! The G4's come with color through and not coat! I didn't know this. It's good that I wasn't considering the project earlier than in a few months
Then again... I wonder if the lid covers are compatible between G3 and G4? Because I could definitely switch them around and I was looking to only mod the cover in any case.
Quote:
EDIT: New pics:
Table and iBook. Looks good. My mom has a similar minimal-iBook setup with just computer, mouse, mousepad and cable modem. I have various other pieces of hardware and a messy desk otherwise as well.
Jasoco

2005-03-26, 23:20

The lid one probably could be, but the rest would not.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-03-27, 18:37

I'm gonna miss this little gem of Apple design.

But! I tell you one thing, OSX has done me in, so I'm gonna request it be allocated to me on a more 'permeant' basis. Wish me luck!

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
stacy

2005-03-31, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco
The iBook back looks easy to get off, but what tool do I need? In other words, what size Torq do I have to find? I'd LOVE to do this ASAP. It looks so cool. (I also have the older iBook with the removable paint. So I'd love to do a paint job eventually.)
Let me check, but I believe it's a .5 mm hex wrench. I used a guitar pick to get in between the bezel and the back.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-03-31, 12:39

My newest set-up (sorry for the glare...that's a 15" PowerBook). Note new copy of iLife 05, purchased and installed this past weekend.

An alternate shot, minus glare.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-03-31, 13:28

Hey cool, you have the same trash can I do.
Mister Black

2005-03-31, 15:39

Two four inch blue cold cathode tubes light this dino up right proper. Sadly it doesn't get much use in favor of my various G4 machines.
SonicAgamemnon

Send a message via Yahoo to SonicAgamemnon  
2005-04-02, 00:02

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-02, 00:16

You bought an Apple Cinema Display for a PC? Why not just get that Dell?
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-04-02, 10:37

Thought I would post a pic in here... seems like a while since I did.

Apologies to those who might expect me to show off a new PowerBook, or a nice little iBook & Mini 1-2 punch as my new setup. I'm afraid those days are over, my friends. Dwindling free time, active kids, never ending work on the house, and of course, finances, have all conspired to kill the murbot you all knew in years past.

Behold the computer I will likely have for the next couple of years at least, the mighty Dual 533MHz Power Mac G4.

I've had it since the beginning of the year. It has 1.25GB of RAM, a 7200RPM 120GB hard drive in it, and a Maxtor 160GB FW drive up top. It also has a PC-flashed 64MB video card in it, that Luca (that god of a man) let me have for $10 shipped. Oh, also a LaCie 52x FW CD-RW on the desk.

She runs perfectly, and I'll have it until I can't say that any longer. The one thing I will try and get is a nicer display, but I have lots of other shit that needs to be bought for the house... blah, blah, blah. I'm secretly packing away a few bucks here and there. Might pick up an internal SuperDrive for her this summer for backing up all of the DVDs that my kids like to ruin.

I hope you enjoy my arty photograph. I decided to use some advanced camera tilting techniques to spice it up. If you are a little confused by it, just try tilting your head to the left a little, until it seems to be on the same plane as the desk in the photo. You'll get a better idea of what it looks like in real life.
msriotdoll

2005-04-03, 23:39

they all look so happy!
holbox

2005-04-04, 16:52

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2l2oh2[quote]
holbox

2005-04-04, 16:53

This picture posting is new to me. I've gotten this far in showing my set up.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=2l2oh2
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-04-08, 19:28

Simple, boring, but does the trick. I guess you could say minimalistic. As long as it runs 10.3

The iBook G4 is sitting on a Targus CoolPad and online via neighbor's wireless network. The cat 5 supplies internet to my 486 peecee (i only keep it for SETI@Home ). The USB dongle recieves a signal from a Microsoft Wireless Mouse (about the only thing they do well). The USB cable goes to my under-desk hub, which connects to camera, printer, CoolPad, and Palm. The VGA cable goes to a 15" HP monitor next to bed (for watching movies and staring at iTunes' visualizer). The audio cable goes to a threesome of Creative speakers from Staples.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 19:33

You don't even have an external mouse? How can you possibly get anything done?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-04-08, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400
You bought an Apple Cinema Display for a PC? Why not just get that Dell?
Hooking a Cinema display to a PC is akin to dropping a 6-liter V8 into a Pinto.

Ditch the PC, man!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-04-08, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You don't even have an external mouse? How can you possibly get anything done?
Indeed I do, it's just off-camera. I mentioned in the post that it's a Microsoft Wireless Optical notebook mouse. This is the only thing Microsoft does right, and the only Microsoft product I would ever buy.

By the way, the trackpad isn't that bad if you have iScroll.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 19:37

Actually, that analogy implies that:

1) The display is equivalent to the car's engine, which isn't true. It's more like the furnishings, luxury features, and trim.
2) A PC is overall a lot like a Pinto.

If you want to use a car analogy, a better one would be to say that a PC is like a Pontiac GTO - it might be fast, but it's ugly, unrefined, and unreliable. Using a cinema display with one is like putting leather seating into one.

Believe me, I've seen MANY car analogies over the years

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that you had the mouse there. I guess the receiver is hidden under the desk. That's pretty nice. If I ever get around to posting my setup (I'm lazy... ) you'll see I don't really have any place to hide my MX1000's receiver. Since it acts as a charger for the mouse, I want to leave it on the desk. On the other hand, the MX1000 only requires a couple hours on the charging dock every week or two.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-04-08, 19:51

MX1000? Schweet. I almost sprung for logitech's new $80 notebook mouse, but opted for Microsoft's cheaper version (I also liked the shape of it).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 20:19

I've heard bad things about that Logitech portable mouse. I read a review of it (just for fun, I don't have a notebook so there's no reason to buy a miniature mouse) and it mainly criticized the mouse for being uncomfortable, noisy (supposedly it makes a noise whenever you use the touch-sensitive scroll pad), and too expensive for what you get. If I had a notebook I'd rather get a simple corded USB mouse. No need to worry about making a connection or batteries or anything. But that MS one looks okay.

The MX1000 is very much a desktop mouse. It would be terrible for use with a laptop, with the clunky base station. It's also really big, and the tracking performance would suffer too much if offered in a Bluetooth version. On the plus side, the battery lasts a super long time and it's very comfortable.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-04-09, 04:26

Quote:
...and online via neighbor's wireless network
With permission?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-04-09, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
With permission?
Uh... umm... what they don't know can't hurt 'em . Besides, the average 70-year old doesn't give 3 deuces who uses their connection, so I don't feel guilty or anything. especially when:

1. They themselves get online approximately once a month, and only stay on for 10 minutes, because they think that radiation from their wireless router can give them cancer (they intentionally keep the router in the basement, far from where they sleep... also they never go near cellular/cordless phones). It seems like a waste of bandwidth not to be used more often.

2. There's currently no laws/legislation about wardriving/using another's connection etc. Besides, it's an open router.

3. My parent's don't want to drop $49/month on road runner (they use dial-up... eeeww), and I need my bandwidth fix. It just feels so good to be able to send 200-meg home movies to friends at a minutes' notice.

Jasoco

2005-04-09, 14:10

Something about that is illegal or immoral, but I'm staying out of it.
holbox

2005-04-10, 10:57

Just 1 1/2 months old PowerMac Dual 2 Ghz. G-5 with 20" monitor.

http://tinypic.com/2nmybl

Nicest play toy this 69 year old has!
Jasoco

2005-04-11, 00:16

I just had to try it just to do it and say I did it so I could get it out of the way. There, it's done. Done and done. I did it. And now I am never going to do it again.

[Click] My see-through desktop(s). So freaking difficult to do, well, without a Tripod it's just frustrating, it was actually easy.

So there. I can now say I was part of the fad. The craze.

Of course since the display is what gets all the wires, it doesn't look really all that correct not having them there in the see-through part. Oh well, what are you going to do?
surjones

2005-04-11, 11:51

Sorry about my wideangle lens, kind of rounds stuff off.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-04-11, 15:10

Not bad Jasoco. I have tried it with limited success.

Took me almost an hour. I'll experiment with more complex backgrounds later.

Jasoco

2005-04-11, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Not bad Jasoco. I have tried it with limited success.

Took me almost an hour. I'll experiment with more complex backgrounds later.
All you need is a tripod, Photoshop and instructions. The background doesn't make the process any harder. As log as the screen/laptop can be moved from its spot without disturbing any of the objects. Oh, and you need a camera too.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-05-21, 13:56

Here's my entry, finally got around to it.

Dual Rev. B 2.0 G5 with 1.5 GB RAM and Radeon 9600 128 MB video card
3 External FW Hard Drives
Logitech Trackman wireless trackball
SoundSticks USB
Neo-Flex LCD mounting arm
20" Cinema Display with VESA mount adaptor
Canon N656U Scanner

Canon i960 Printer (not shown)

PowerBook Ti800 in background.

Set up on my living room coffee table, so I can be a TV couch potato and a computer geek simultaneously.

The LCD mounting arm is not quite as slick and flexible as the iMac monitor arm, but it does the job.

:smokey:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup-2005.jpg (44.7 KB, 409 views)