User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Travel Idea (Am I crazy to want to do this?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Travel Idea (Am I crazy to want to do this?)
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-10-11, 18:52

I've got a week off work in January, and I haven't been away anywhere for a while, so I'm planning a little trip. I've done some pricing, and I think I can do the following:

Sunday 18th January - Fly from Edinburgh to Berlin at 6am. £26
Tuesday 20th January - Berlin to Milan 11:25am €22
Wednesday 21st January - Milan to Bratislava 8pm €33
Friday 23rd January - Bratislava to Edinburgh 9:50pm €31

I make that £96 including taxes and fees, but not credit card charges. I guess it'll come in under £150 anyway. All with Ryanair.

I'll stay in youth hostels for cheapness.

That gives me all of Sunday and Monday in Berlin, Tuesday afternoon and most of Wednesday in Milan, Thursday in Vienna (a short distance from Bratislava), Friday in Bratislava then fly back home.

If one of the flights gets cancelled, I'm kinda screwed. Delays won't be a problem though, since there are no same day connections.

Am I crazy to want to do all of this at once? I think it'd be quite exciting and a relatively inexpensive way to see some of Europes finest cities. I'll worry about the carbon footprint later
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-10-11, 19:06

No. Sounds like fun, you only live once (as far as we know) so enjoy it while you can. Have fun. Pics on your return would be nice.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-11, 19:28

Yeah, sounds like a good plan and a really great price for all the traveling you'll be doing. Enjoy it!

But, Bratislava, really?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-11, 22:09

I prefer spending longer in one place than seeing a lot of places quickly, but that's just a personal preference. I haven't been to any of the cities you're going to, so I'm not sure if you need more than a day of two to see the most exciting places (I found that I needed about 10 days to see most of the really awesome places in Paris, while places like Pisa and Ravenna only needed an afternoon, for instance).

It sounds like a neat trip, and I don't see any obvious problems in your planning.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-10-12, 00:53

For the price and experience that you'll gain I'd do it. In fact it sounds like it would be an awesome adventure. Do it and post pics of it too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-12, 08:28

Yah why not... as long as you have someone to travel with / share the adventure it should be all good.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-10-12, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
For the price and experience that you'll gain I'd do it. In fact it sounds like it would be an awesome adventure. Do it and post pics of it too.
Seconded. It'd be a hell of a fun week, I think. Go for it!
judeobscure

2008-10-12, 09:04

Go for it!
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-10-12, 11:42

ever since the movie, the idea of hostels terrify me
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-10-12, 13:18

I knew some guys that spent a month in Europe and other than a few days at their uncles in Germany there were in hostels the entire time without issue. Don't let a movie scare you.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-10-12, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I knew some guys that spent a month in Europe and other than a few days at their uncles in Germany there were in hostels the entire time without issue. Don't let a movie scare you.
Not scared by that the thought of hostels at all.

Anyway, it's all booked! I consulted with my Dad and he thought it was a great idea. Lots of research to do now to find places to stay and things to do. I'll also be taking a german text book from uni to bed with me to do some brushing up for when I'm in Berlin and Vienna. My Slovakian and Italian leave a lot to be desired though
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2008-10-13, 06:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I'll also be taking a german text book from uni to bed with me to do some brushing up for when I'm in Berlin and Vienna.
After an hour or so reading last night, I feel like I've forgotten everything. Wie Schade.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-16, 13:56

I've sorta curtailed this trip since the Euro is at a scary strength just now. I'm now just going to Berlin for 4 days. Hotel/hostel booked, and I've just picked up €210 (for £205... waaaahhhhh) and my flight is on Sunday. Anyone got any off the beaten track kinda things to do in Berlin, or know of any free Wifi in the city centre?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-01-16, 18:57

Quote:
I've sorta curtailed this trip since the Euro is at a scary strength just now.
My final credit card payment on my final credit card (UK bank) is being paid this month. That strong euro feels good!

Quote:
Anyone got any off the beaten track kinda things to do in Berlin...
Maybe not terribly off the beaten track, but when my girlfriend was in Berlin a few months ago she went on a three-hour free tour of the city which she raved about. It's nice to tip the guides as they're brilliant, and the tour stops at bars and cafes along the way so do bring a few of those precious euros. My girlfriend took exactly one minute and ten seconds of video during the entire walk, all of which I put on YouTube for you here as a taster. Either she chose a particularly good moment to hit record or that guy isn't half bad.

Quote:
...or know of any free Wifi in the city centre?
Yeah, there's always AppleNova.
artesc

2009-01-16, 20:43

Quote:
I'll stay in youth hostels for cheapness.
Speaking of hostels, I stayed in one for a couple of nights in New York this past Christmas. They're just about what you would expect, that is, a bare room with a bed and a light bulb hanging from a string. Just make sure to lock your door and sleep with with all your valuables... Seriously, it wasn't half bad, I mean, the room will probably be kind of shabby but clean, warm and safe. Just a place to sleep really; I highly recommend hostels for the price, I am looking forward to staying in one again. I've been thinking of doing a tour of Europe just like you're planning, just longer. I look forward to hearing how your trip goes; it sounds like fun. Good luck!

artesc all the way!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-17, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
My final credit card payment on my final credit card (UK bank) is being paid this month. That strong euro feels good!
Ugh. I hate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray

Maybe not terribly off the beaten track, but when my girlfriend was in Berlin a few months ago she went on a three-hour free tour of the city which she raved about. It's nice to tip the guides as they're brilliant, and the tour stops at bars and cafes along the way so do bring a few of those precious euros. My girlfriend took exactly one minute and ten seconds of video during the entire walk, all of which I put on YouTube for you here as a taster. Either she chose a particularly good moment to hit record or that guy isn't half bad.
Wow, he's enthusiastic! The hostel does it's own free walking tour every day, which I might go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Yeah, there's always AppleNova.

Well, I'm actually planning on documenting the trip by uploading pics to facebook via the iPhone app, and maybe twitter. And AppleNova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Speaking of hostels, I stayed in one for a couple of nights in New York this past Christmas. They're just about what you would expect, that is, a bare room with a bed and a light bulb hanging from a string. Just make sure to lock your door and sleep with with all your valuables... Seriously, it wasn't half bad, I mean, the room will probably be kind of shabby but clean, warm and safe. Just a place to sleep really; I highly recommend hostels for the price, I am looking forward to staying in one again. I've been thinking of doing a tour of Europe just like you're planning, just longer. I look forward to hearing how your trip goes; it sounds like fun. Good luck!
Yeah, for city breaks and the like I'm just really looking for somewhere to sleep. I don't care how many stars it has, so long as it's clean and safe. I'm staying here. Seems like a huge place. Not totally central, but the links are good. You can see it from the nearest S-Bahn.
wecallitfall

2009-01-17, 08:49

great idea! i want to visit germany later this year, possibly for Oktoberfest, those cheap flights are great. who are you flying with?

I look forward to reading about your experience, enjoy!

autumns sweet, we call it fall, i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl...
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-01-18, 09:21

Good video, DG! That guy is hilarious.

Also congrats on the credit card bill!! I remember the days when I paid off major debts (cards, school loans...) fondly!!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-19, 09:28

Quote:
Passengers are being warned of delays at Edinburgh Airport after heavy snow forced the runway to close for almost two hours.

Three planes were diverted to Glasgow Airport while seven other aircraft were unable to take-off following the closure at 1130 GMT on Monday.
I'm glad my flight was at 6:15am!

Taking some time out since the battery in my camera is unable to keep up with my incessant picture taking.

So far, I've been into the Reichstag building. It's quite spectacular once you get up to the dome. It looks entirely different inside from what you'd expect from the exterior; very modern. I've also seen the Brandenburg gate, the memorial for the mudered Jews of Europe, been to Checkpoint Charlie, and then to The East Side Gallery which contains the largest remaining section of the Berlin Wall. There's no museum or anything there, but it's very haunting nonetheless.

In an hour or so I'm heading out again to go up the Fernsehturm for sunset. I hope to get some great pictures from there.

Tomorrow, I'm going to head to the Ku'damm to check out some of the shops, and some other sights on that side of the city. Not been out there yet.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-01-20, 01:02

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your trip! I'm looking forward to getting some more fun traveling in too.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-21, 08:22

Click for MobileMe picture gallery.
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-01-21, 08:24

Nice. Thanks. Looks cold!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2009-01-21, 09:01

There's also this picture I took with my iPhone on the Berlin Wall at East Side Gallery that was somewhat appropriate for the day: