Mail app slow down.. Any ideas why?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mail app slow down.. Any ideas why?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-07, 05:27

Hello all..

I guess I am a power user, and an inefficient one at that...

I have about 25 email accounts for various things, and about 100 archive folders. My emails on this machine date back to the early 2000's in some cases.. And a few are even older!

I am always trying to keep stuff tidied up into quarterly, or annual periods.
Occasionally an account will get so massive it will slow down terribly, and I am often amazed at what Mail has had to deal with once I look into it and archive some more....

Mail runs fine most of the time.. However, if my machine has been on constantly for a day or so, or all month, as it has this month, mail slows to a crawl...

A simple fix is to simply quit and re-launch Mail. A minor niggle.
This then brings it back up to speed instantly, and it normally takes 24 hours for the slow down to hit again..

Anyone know why.. Is there a more elegant fix?

By the way, I am already aware of one of the old fixes which was to delete one of the files which caches Mail's data and then rebuild it. I have tried this, but it has never really made a difference, nor has the re-created file been that much smaller.. So I guess that is not a problem for me.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-07-07, 07:28

Why don't you just backup your e-mails from the user library on a DVD or CD and keep only your recent e-mails in Mail? Much safer, much less complicating. I guess with some converter you will be read those .elmx files back even twenty years from now, if you would want that...

Or did I misread anything in your post?

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-07-07 at 07:36.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-07, 08:05

You did kind of.. But I also need access to emails for at least a year, sometimes more... I use my email database as an archive of ongoing bookings, conversations, technical discussions and so on.. But don't worry I do also back up every day across my network to at least 1 of 2 drives.. DVD's are not actually big enough to hold my email archive for the last 12 months!!

And even with the amount of emails I have, the slowdown problem is non-existent when you start the app, and for most of a day.. This problem is almost like a memory leak, or something.. As the app slows quite dramatically after a set period, and then just runs like molasses as the hour after that progresses..

Restart the app (not the machine) and it is gone..

So in essense I have the solution.. I am looking for the reason, and from that perhaps a more elegant solution.. A solution that might even mean hacking around with the mail app in some exciting way I have not though of yet!!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt