10.3.4 released!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-26, 15:27

Weighs in heavy at 41.0 MB

German:

Das Update enthaelt folgende Verbesserungen:

Das File Sharing und die Verzeichnisdienste fuer Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PPTP und drahtlose Netzwerke wurden verbessert.
Die OpenGL-Technologie wurde verbessert und die ATI- und NVIDIA-Grafiktreiber wurden aktualisiert.
Die Funktionalitaet beim Brennen und Aufnehmen von CD/DVD wurde verbessert.
Ueber USB 2.0 angeschlossene iPods werden jetzt von iTunes und iSync erkannt.
Die Kompatibilitaet wurde auf zusaetzliche FireWire Audio- und USB-Geraete erweitert.
Die Programme 'Adressbuch', 'Mail', 'Safari', 'Notizzettel' und 'QuickTime' wurden aktualisiert.
Die Kompatibilitaet mit Programmen von Drittanbietern wurde verbessert.
Die vorherigen Security-Updates sind zusaetzlich integriert.

More info: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25764 <-- very detailed!

Downloading now...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-26, 15:45

Was curious if this update included that new, rumored Software Update engine? I saw it talked about at various rumor/discussion/OS X sites.

Any dice?
Defiant

2004-05-26, 15:46

Enhancements

These are some of the enhancements that are delivered with the Mac OS X v10.3.4 Update.

Mail and Address Book
- Addresses a Mail issue in which a long address (URL) in a Mac OS X Panther Mail message may not open in your Web browser when you click it.

- Resolves an issue in which a third-party "Times RO" font could cause Mail, Safari, or other applications quit unexpectedly.

- Address Book can now import more than one email address per contact from an LDIF export file.

- You can now send SMS messages longer than 68 characters via the Mac OS X v10.3 (Swedish) Address Book.

- A Mail message will now retain its status (read or unread, flagged or not flagged, and so forth) when you copy and paste it within Mail.

- Attached .zip files can now be saved from Mail without automatically being decompressed.
Networking and .Mac
- Resolves an issue in which automated (scheduled) syncing between iSync and .Mac would sometimes not work as expected.

- Improves function when connecting to a TLS-authenticated wireless network; addresses a "error -1001" issue that could occur when more than one client certificate is stored in Keychain.

- Addresses an issue that could prevent you from using VPN over a PPTP connection.

- Addresses an issue in which, in some cases after a scheduled backup was missed, the .Mac Backup application opened twice.
iPod and peripheral devices
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync.

- Improves compatibility with mass storage devices, SCSI or RAID PCI cards, and USB and FireWire devices, when using Mac OS X v10.3.3.

- Addresses a kernel panic that may occur when capturing from some Canon cameras in ESP mode.

- Addresses a situation in which video frames may be missed when digital video is being captured from a FireWire camera connected to a PowerBook.

- Dialog windows for incoming phone calls and SMS messages for a paired Bluetooth phone now appear in the foreground.
Finder
- Addresses an issue in which a writable disc might not appear in the Finder after you burn it.

- Improves reliability when selecting several files at a time in Finder at the same time Finder is previewing a movie or MP3 file.

- You can now use more kinds of disk image volumes when the Mac OS X Panther language is set to Devanagari (Hindi, Marati, Nepali, or Sanskrit language), Gujarati, or Gurmukhi (Panjabi).

- Addresses an issue in which some screen captures (or grabs) could unexpectedly contain a gray area.
Printing and faxing
- With this update, you can now print shadowed text from Preview to HP DeskJet 970 or 990 printer without a black outline appearing around the text.

- A PDF file's shadowed graphics will now print as expected with a PostScript printer.

- Improves function when receiving a multiple-page fax.
Other
- Includes recent Mac OS X Security Updates.

- Improves compatibility when receiving an email with a very large PDF file attached in Microsoft Entourage .

- Preview will no longer ask for a password when opening a PDF file that hasn't been password-protected.

- Stickies no longer writes to the hard drive every five minutes, even when the computer is idle.

- Addresses an issue in which scheduled items, such as automated backups or Software Update checks, may not work if the computer is asleep at the scheduled time. With this update, the schedule will run once the computer wakes from sleep.

- Resolves an issue in which an eMacs' display resolution could be unexpectedly large and its geometry is off-center (only the upper left portion appears), after waking from sleep.

- Addresses an issue that could prevent an update from installing if some .plist files (ones related to an application that would be installed) were damaged.

- Safari will now be able to download a Hotmail email attachment.

- Addresses a DVD Player issue in which an "Operation not permitted {symbol like a 0}" alert could appear, and the player could unexpectedly quit.

- Resolves an issue that could prevent users with network home directories from adding fonts to a Font Book collections.

- Improves OpenGL by adding support for OpenGL Vertex Buffer and Replaceable OpenGL entry points.

Lots of things changed, eh? Don't know about the Software Update Engine though. It's version 1.6.1 now. I'll check after restart.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 16:02

Working so far for me, although I think there might be a hang-up between 10.3.4 and the Paranoid Android utility from Unsanity. After reboot, the installer (presumably) was cleaning up stuff in the background and it caused both PA and ShapeShifter to pop up warnings, which in turn locked my Wacom mouse.

I had to plug in the optical mouse in order to dismiss the dialogs. We'll see if it happens again when I restart / boot up next time.

...into the light of a dark black night.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-26, 16:11

Yeah, I was worried if Apple's fixes for the recent Mac OSX bugs would conflict with DIY ones. I followed Daring Fireball's advice and used RCDefaultApp.

Anyone discovered a conflict with 10.3.4 and the RCDefault settings Daring Fireball suggested?

bouncy bouncy
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-26, 16:11

Safari is fast as hell. It did take a small chunk of my HD space. Now I will be doing disk repair permissions.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-26, 16:13

still 1.6.1

will someone post the -bom in a new thread?

oh Safari has been updated to 1.2.2 (v125.7) and Pith Helmet still works perfectly... (afaict)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 16:18

Network performance seems much better when pulling files from ADC via the Finder... browsing seems a little faster but I don't know that it has anything to do with the update necessarily.

Defiant

2004-05-26, 16:24

So far so good... no problems yet.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 17:48

Noticing that some important apps (office, Adobe) are launching a bit faster the first time around than they used to. This may have to do with the non-prebound thing because Adobe has stated for each new system session, their apps write some type of plist file when launched for the first time... then every sucessive time you launch them they are faster because said file is there already.

Well now that seems to have gone by the way-side, at least as far as the time required to move from launch, through splash sequence to being able to use the GUI.

I think this may be the first ever point release I've seen that actually qualifies for the "snappehª" emblem on non-laptop hardware.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-05-26, 18:18

Quote:
improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
might be responsible for a bit more snap if window redraw got tweaked.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 18:46

Perhaps. Believe it or not all of my iApps seem to launch more quickly now, although GarageBand is still a lagger in that regard. Even iTunes has seen a boost. Whatever Apple did, this is one of the better updates I've seen....

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-26, 19:33

Cool thread. I shall go update now. If I'm not back in 15 minutes, call the cops.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-05-26, 19:51

i remember the days of os 7 and 8 when i lived in fear of software update...now i just do it and no biggie

g
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-26, 20:12

ahhh, the power of cheese.... I mean UNIX.
EDS66

2004-05-26, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
Weighs in heavy at 41.0 MB

German:

Das Update enthaelt folgende Verbesserungen:

Das File Sharing und die Verzeichnisdienste fuer Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS), PPTP und drahtlose Netzwerke wurden verbessert.
Die OpenGL-Technologie wurde verbessert und die ATI- und NVIDIA-Grafiktreiber wurden aktualisiert.
Die Funktionalitaet beim Brennen und Aufnehmen von CD/DVD wurde verbessert.
Ueber USB 2.0 angeschlossene iPods werden jetzt von iTunes und iSync erkannt.
Die Kompatibilitaet wurde auf zusaetzliche FireWire Audio- und USB-Geraete erweitert.
Die Programme 'Adressbuch', 'Mail', 'Safari', 'Notizzettel' und 'QuickTime' wurden aktualisiert.
Die Kompatibilitaet mit Programmen von Drittanbietern wurde verbessert.
Die vorherigen Security-Updates sind zusaetzlich integriert.

More info: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25764 <-- very detailed!

Downloading now...
So far, so good. Everything seems to be a little faster, even SMB.
EDS66

2004-05-26, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
i remember the days of os 7 and 8 when i lived in fear of software update...now i just do it and no biggie

g
Ah...but what about that horrible rev A. 10.2.8 upgrade? That was pretty disastrous.
MacUsers

2004-05-26, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS66
Ah...but what about that horrible rev A. 10.2.8 upgrade? That was pretty disastrous.
For some people, I never had an issue with that.
Quagmire
meh

2004-05-26, 20:40

Same here. My parents had no trouble with 10.2.8 with their 400 Mhz Powermac G4.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-26, 20:40

I've never had a problem with any Apple update (excuse me while I knock this piece of wood silly). I always wait 12 or so hours (except for today, since I heard nothing but good things) and see what the general consensus is.

If it's less than 25% bitching/complaining, I'll go for it. So far, so good.

Can't tell much that's different with 10.3.4, but that's okay.
EDS66

2004-05-26, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Same here. My parents had no trouble with 10.2.8 with their 400 Mhz Powermac G4.
It was a debacle for people with newer machines connected to 10 base T hubs. I had a few clients who were very mad at Apple.

This one seems to be doing OK though.
EDS66

2004-05-26, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I've never had a problem with any Apple update (excuse me while I knock this piece of wood silly). I always wait 12 or so hours (except for today, since I heard nothing but good things) and see what the general consensus is.

If it's less than 25% bitching/complaining, I'll go for it. So far, so good.

Can't tell much that's different with 10.3.4, but that's okay.

It's a good rule of thumb. If you were in a mission-critical environment, though, then I would give it more like a week.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-26, 23:25

Quote:
I never had any trouble with it on my Cube or Sawtooth.

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2004-05-26 at 23:26. Reason: thing is broken
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-05-26, 23:34

Quote:
It's a good rule of thumb. If you were in a mission-critical environment, though, then I would give it more like a week.
As someone who gets paid to support & advise people with mission-critical Macs, I must agree.

Also, I believe the botched and butchering update you're referring to, was 10.2.7, not 10.2.8, which was the final 10.2 update.
EDS66

2004-05-26, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
As someone who gets paid to support & advise people with mission-critical Macs, I must agree.

Also, I believe the botched and butchering update you're referring to, was 10.2.7, not 10.2.8, which was the final 10.2 update.
I hear you.

10.2.7 was actually never an update, but rather the version that shipped with some Apple computers late last year -- mostly powerbooks. The final update was 10.2.8 and the first (later-pulled) version of it was what caused all those problems for me.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-27, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding

g
Funny... Software Update was one of the few new features introduced with OS 9.

Also:

Quote:
- iPods connected via USB 2.0 are now recognized by iTunes and iSync.
Yay!

Quote:
- Improves reliability when selecting several files at a time in Finder at the same time Finder is previewing a movie or MP3 file.
Yay!

Quote:
- Addresses an issue in which some screen captures (or grabs) could unexpectedly contain a gray area.
YAY!!! This one really bugged me.

Quote:
- Addresses an issue in which scheduled items, such as automated backups or Software Update checks, may not work if the computer is asleep at the scheduled time. With this update, the schedule will run once the computer wakes from sleep.
And this is also a very nice one! Finally!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-05-27, 03:04

OK, I just opened PowerPoint to work on an ongoing project, for the first time since the update, and then clicked Safari on the Dock to post this, and I have to say, with all flameproof attire ready if needed, that this fucking thing is SNAPPY.

OMFG!!!1!1!!1 and all that...

Really!!!

PowerPoint opened so fast it almost made me dizzy, and I've been using it frequently lately for this project, so I have a pretty good frame of reference.
Defiant

2004-05-27, 04:34

Is the security hole closed with this update?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Yeah, I was worried if Apple's fixes for the recent Mac OSX bugs would conflict with DIY ones. I followed Daring Fireball's advice and used RCDefaultApp.

Anyone discovered a conflict with 10.3.4 and the RCDefault settings Daring Fireball suggested?
Repost.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-05-27, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Repost.
No, John Gruber's suggestions should be fine.

Two reasons for not using Paranoid Android:
1) They don't say what *exactly* it does, i.e. which exact settings it changes, and how exactly it interferes to protect the user.
2) It's not open source, so 1) becomes a stronger issue. Not that I don't trust Unsanity, but maybe their software actually adds new security holes?