User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Sun Microsystems and June 1st (new branding campaign)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sun Microsystems and June 1st (new branding campaign)
Gm7Cadd9

2005-06-01, 11:08

On May 16th MacAddict posted a link to the Sun website where there was a VERY vague and ambiguous teaser saying that something revolutionary would transpire on June 1st...if you went to their website all you would get was the teaser, today is June 1st and their site is back up...I have heard rumors and speculation Apple has something to do with this and is planning to jump on board and make their announcement (whatever it may be) on the 6th...

none of this is "insider" info, I am not claiming it to be, but I do recall reading about it a few weeks ago, can anyone shed some light maybe? What is this giant announcement from Sun, and potentially from Apple?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-06-01, 11:45

They announced a new branding campaign today... flushing money down the toilet to do ads about companies that use Sun products/technologies.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050601/sfw118.html?.v=7

I hope Apple isn't involved.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 11:50

...and since this is now public knowledge, I'm moving this thread to GD and modifying the title.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-06-01, 11:52

Wow! Ugly people standing in a line holding bits of cardboard!

Must...Resist...Urge...To....Puchase....

Rubbish.
Gm7Cadd9

2005-06-01, 11:59

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph..._in_on_june_1/

"For those of you who have read the Next Wave of the Internet series, this shouldn’t come as any surprise to you. But isn’t it nice to know that the day is now at hand? Surely you don’t think that Sun will be alone in this revolution do you? Of course you don’t. Sun will tee it up, and Apple will hit it out of the park just days later. The original visions of Apple and Sun were presented within a seven day span back in 2001, and now its execution will likewise follow. Yes, history in the making."

we'll see just what this next wave brings, could this be the "big news at WWDC?" Everyone seems to be into placing bets for WWDC, dual core or no dual core, new powerbooks or none... etc etc, any bets of any mention of this in the keynote? I am up in the air honestly, but I am interested to hear what everyone else out there makes of all of this.

The next wave of the internet...could this have to do with apples talks with Intel, maybe for WiMax compatibility? Could this be for the rumored tablet?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-01, 12:18

Hmmm, perhaps the big news will be that Java 1.5 will become the new standard on OSX? Would fit like a glove, since it's developer- and Sun-related ...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 12:19

Good grief. That MacsimumNews page is basing that theory on a quote taken wholly out of context from over four years ago. I wouldn't put a lot of credence in that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-06-03, 12:45

Maybe it was to celebrate Sun spending what was left in it's piggybank? Buying EMC is a very risky move for them I think...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-06-03, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Good grief. That MacsimumNews page is basing that theory on a quote taken wholly out of context from over four years ago. I wouldn't put a lot of credence in that.
Yet people eat up all the hype that author, Neo, has been inventing for some time now. (S)he's the kormac of Macsimum News, and some other site previous to that. Neo plays connect the dots without actually drawing the lines or even really defining where the dots are. So long as you can 1. put a lot of links on a page with some common verbage, and 2. connect the hints in a circular logic where you can't tell what is an actual original source, you can 3. profit!