AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

MacPro Update in January?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacPro Update in January?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-10-14, 14:47

Is there any news anywhere hinting at an update in January at MacWorld? I was really hoping something would happen this fall, but that doesn't appear likely now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-10-14, 15:01

There's no rumors about that yet, although January makes just as much sense as any other time.

Maybe we'll see them next month, maybe we'll see them in January, maybe we'll see them in March or April or May. Who knows? With Apple, no one does (until it's all leaked the weekend before the event ).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-14, 16:39

Not convinced we'll see new Mac Pro stuff at MW. It's a consumer show and even if they do some serious revamping of the form factor or other goodies besides Nehalem pure quality ™, I think a special event is more likely. In fact it may be earlier but willing to bet they won't be available until late January sometime.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-10-14, 18:52

Moogs, from the looks of Intel's Core i7 release schedule, it's almost a sure thing that the next Mac Pro update will be at MacWorld SF or at least in that timeframe.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-14, 19:02

Yah, I think the (Dec-Jan) timeframe for announcement is right; just wondering if they'd change tactics and do a Pro expose for a consumer show. They seem to have focused exclusively on consumer stuff at that show in recent years, and also seem to have no qualms about doing pro hardware special events whenever the stuff is ready, rather than spring it at a show.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-10-14, 19:17

Wouldn't you think the new Mac Pros will be compatible with the 24" LED Cinema Display?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2008-10-14, 19:34

I think they will create 3 new cinema displays to go with the MacPro that are not glossy.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-10-15, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
I think they will create 3 new cinema displays to go with the MacPro that are not glossy.
I really doubt that.

While certainly profitable, it's doubtful that Apple's Cinema Displays are huge sellers. If anything, I see them streamlining the line to one display (the 24" LED) before I could see them expanding the line to four models, including two 24" models.

Don't get me wrong - I wish that they would make matte displays, for everyone that wanted them. But Apple can't be all things to all people, and they've seen that glossy displays are popular in their notebooks; they seem to have decided that the lack of a matte option is no big deal. Their current design ethos is "aluminum and glass," and they'd have to ditch the "glass" part if they wanted to make another matte display. They won't.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-10-15, 04:18

I agree with Roboman.

For your future matte needs look outside of Apple's offerings. At least the MP isn't married to it's display like the MBP.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-16, 22:19

I think the Mac Pros will be compatible but that won't be the screen Apple sells on the Mac Pro BTO pages. They'll either keep selling the old ones or design a couple new ones. Probably 24 and 26". Whether or not they're worth anything besides looking pretty on a desk remains to be seen.

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-10-17, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
I think a thin film product sort of like the after-market tinting stuff they use on car windows that would provide a matte finish would be able to sell like hotcakes.

real hackers don't use sigs
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-11-11, 19:54

I'm probably going to spring for one when the update comes... or maybe wait until summer to get a free iPod, Snow Leopard, and maybe a refirb.

What processors are going to be in these beasts? I'm guessing they'll up the base RAM to at least 4GB, maybe a better video card and bigger HD standard... Do you think they'll have Display Port? Bluray (how much longer can they hold out on that, anyway?)?

Just want to start fantasizing about my dream machine...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-11-12, 00:57

I'm guessing that they will come loaded with the latest Core i7 (Bloomfield) Quad Xeons, with core clocks of 2.66Ghz, 2.93Ghz and 3.2Ghz. These chips are due to be released on the 17th of this month.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2008-11-12, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I'm guessing that they will come loaded with the latest Core i7 (Bloomfield) Quad Xeons, with core clocks of 2.66Ghz, 2.93Ghz and 3.2Ghz. These chips are due to be released on the 17th of this month.
Crap. If only I had an excuse to buy a Mac Pro... Those will certainly be a lot of computing power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
What processors are going to be in these beasts? I'm guessing they'll up the base RAM to at least 4GB, maybe a better video card and bigger HD standard... Do you think they'll have Display Port? Bluray (how much longer can they hold out on that, anyway?)?
Display port - nope. I'm guessing mini-DP all the way baby. Perhaps a mini-DP to DP cable. It doesn't seem logical for Apple to build a cinema display exclusively for their portable lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Bluray (how much longer can they hold out on that, anyway?)?
Seriously? I think a long time... Call me a flip-flopper but the guys kinda convinced me about the status of BR over in the apple TV thread... As much as I'd like to see it, it just doesn't seem very necessary right yet; with TimeMachine for backups, and the way Apple is pushing the digital distribution of media. "A big bag of hurt" might not only refer to licensing problems, maybe more along the lines of hurt they'd see in iTunes movie store revenue? Just a thought...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-12, 05:43

As long as they have new graphics cards (HDCP compatible), i am buying one. I would hope that new displays will be brought out too and possibly (and this is the biggest leap of faith) Blu-ray.

Yes people may say Blu-Ray is still new and sales aren't that good, but since you can buy all new movies on Blu-Ray and rent then as easily as DVDs its about time Apple stepped up to the mark.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-13, 09:27

I'd be amazed if Apple didn't make their IO system HDCP compliant for Blu-ray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-13, 14:56

Processor talk: Mac Pro-suitable Nehalem (Core i7) processors coming Q1 '09).

Is that early, or expected? I thought the talk was a bit later in 2009.

I don't know, I barely keep up with this kind of thing (pro gear, quad-core this, high-end that, etc.). But I thought it would be of interest to you all.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-11-17, 20:38

Quote:
Those aren't Xeons, they're the regular desktop Core i7. The Xeon models (which appear to be basically the same, except for MP support?) will launch at those speeds (among others) but not until Q1*, making them a prime candidate for a MWSF Mac Pro inclusion.

I'd love it if Apple could use 2.8 GHz/2.93 GHz/3.2 GHz Xeon 5500s in their new Mac Pros, keeping the clock speed pretty much constant; however, the new Xeons are more expensive, so we might see them using the 2.66 GHz model on the low-end, etc.

*Yeah, Q1 could mean February or March, but I think CES 2009 is going to be the Nehalem's coming out party. (And it's not like Apple has to ship the new Mac Pros the day they announce them, either.) The Core i7 is a great processor, and Intel knows it - they just got to let the rest of the world know it. Expect to see a big marketing push for the platform in January - I expect Vegas to be entirely blanketed with Core i7and Xeon ads.

artesc

2008-11-17, 21:15

thought this might be of interest. http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...cbook-near-you

maybe this opens up the way for blueray in future macs...maybe in the macpro's at macworld. I really think that this macworld is going to very disappointing, all we're going to see is a new mac pro. granted, no disappointing for those who want/need them, but for the rest of us? give us a mac mini.

on second thought, why not make the mini into a bona fide entertainment pc; ax the apple tv, give the mini blue ray and a huge hard drive, hdmi, new more stylish form factor and we got ourselves a damn good entertainment center. your ipod touch or your iphone could be your remote and you would be set.

of course, it would have to have high enough specs to double as an actual computer if people want it. perhaps, a "low end" entertainment mini and the higher end, general purpose mini. = )

artesc all the way!

Last edited by artesc : 2008-11-17 at 21:36.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-11-18, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Those aren't Xeons, they're the regular desktop Core i7. The Xeon models (which appear to be basically the same, except for MP support?) will launch at those speeds (among others) but not until Q1*, making them a prime candidate for a MWSF Mac Pro inclusion.

I'd love it if Apple could use 2.8 GHz/2.93 GHz/3.2 GHz Xeon 5500s in their new Mac Pros, keeping the clock speed pretty much constant; however, the new Xeons are more expensive, so we might see them using the 2.66 GHz model on the low-end, etc.

*Yeah, Q1 could mean February or March, but I think CES 2009 is going to be the Nehalem's coming out party. (And it's not like Apple has to ship the new Mac Pros the day they announce them, either.) The Core i7 is a great processor, and Intel knows it - they just got to let the rest of the world know it. Expect to see a big marketing push for the platform in January - I expect Vegas to be entirely blanketed with Core i7and Xeon ads.
The desktop models are the ones due later, last time I checked.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-11-18, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
That is outragous!!!

So if you buy this iTunes movie and don't have a HDCP monitor then you cannot play the movie at all?? I wish my PowerMac G5 still worked so i could download the movie and try and play it on that. There doesn't seem anything wrong with buying a movie then playing on a projector. Madness!!

But at least with this and Apple discontinuing their 23" display we look guaranteed to get new MacPros and Displays.
artesc

2008-11-18, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
That is outragous!!!
yup, that's what I thought too. how can they keep people from playing movies they own on their own projectors?!?!?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2008-11-18, 15:40

Easy, with the HDCP chip. Time to upgrade boys, thankfully I made sure I got a HDCP compatible monitor when I got a new one this summer.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-10, 08:03

Xeon Nehalem variants will ship next month as predicted. That means even if we see an announcement in January we won't see the machines until at least March I'm guessing. In fact I'm guessing April is more likely which means MWSF announcement is unlikely. Special event much more likely (sometime in early spring). Mac Pro is too much of a niche machine anyway for them to be showcasing it at MW.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel...rs-97856.shtml

Bad news is, none of these xeon variants are clocked higher than what we have now, good news is it won't matter much as clock-for-clock these things will trounce what is currently available.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-02-26, 13:12

I couldn't wait any longer, and purchased a Mac Pro. So, with my luck, I'm sure Apple will update them in the next few days.

Quick question: I ordered a Dell monitor from OWC for the Mac Pro. It has DVI with HDCP. Will it be compatible? I'm not quite sure what the deal is with that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-02-26, 13:14

What graphics card did you order it with? I know some graphics cards are not HDCP ready.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-02-26, 13:27

Quote:
What graphics card did you order it with? I know some graphics cards are not HDCP ready.
The default ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-02-26, 14:08

Yup, it is, and since the monitor is HDCP ready you're good to go. I believe HDCP is for Blueray and some downloaded movies/TV shows.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-02-26, 14:14

Cool, that's one less thing I need to worry about.

I'm pretty excited, though. I ordered a CalDigit RAID card and four 1.5TB drives from OCW to setup RAID 5.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-02-27, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Cool, that's one less thing I need to worry about.

I'm pretty excited, though. I ordered a CalDigit RAID card and four 1.5TB drives from OCW to setup RAID 5.
Please let me know how that works out for you. RAID fascinates me.