AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Having Cancer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Having Cancer
Page 2 of 17 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-02-06, 02:01

Damn, drew, that really sucks. Very sorry to hear it.

Please keep us updated as you learn more from your Doctors. A second opinion is probably a good idea, as well.
Hassan i Sabbah

2009-02-06, 03:56

drew, sorry to hear that, really.

Friends this way.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2009-02-06, 04:25

Oh drew.

Thinking of you.

At least it has been caught at the early stages.
Dovek916

2009-02-06, 05:04

That really sucks man. I hope you all the best. Do what everyone else recommended.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-06, 05:15

Be happy that they spotted it early. This is perhaps the best news in what may seem like a bad news story. Least worst option, maybe.

My Mom fought Lymphoma for almost 10 years, with multiple remissions... confounding a series of doctors' predictions over how long she'd last. By the end it was compounded with Leukemia and other complications, but she still fought with a smile and indomitable willpower that inspired others.

Towards the end she said the (inoperable) tumours were sometimes painful (pressure, or at times 'like a stitch in your side'), but were nowhere near as painful as the chemotherapy (which she described as acid in the veins).

The latest drug cocktails did more to help than the early treatments (if only they'd been available earlier), so science is definitely increasing your odds, but in many cases it's the early diagnosis that makes a bigger difference.

You may feel unlucky, but catching it now might be the luckiest thing possible.

Stay positive... attitude matters to those around you (even if there's still little evidence that it matters to your cells). Mom was convinced optimism didn't just extend her life, it made it better. I would agree.

Know you've got support here.

On the upside, think of the pickup-line possibilities if chicks want to compare scars.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-02-06, 07:06

Thanks everybody.
I told Paul that I actually told you guys before my in-person friends... haven't put the word out yet on that front. Will be wearing the koala ears and working on the scar-comparison pick-up lines

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-02-06, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Please don't quote me on this and it probably depends on the type, but I thought it was one of the malignancies with a generally better prognosis. I have some recollection from a friend's dad who had it that there's quite a lot of argument amongst medico's about whether to operate, in older males at least, because it tends to be very slow growing.
The general medical consensus is that prostate cancer is what *will* eventually kill a male, if nothing else does. Something crazy like 85% of autopsied elderly males have it, but few die of it. When you hit the 70-80 year range, it's not the silent killer so much as the silent make-you-go-to-the-bathroom-in-the-middle-of-the-nighter.

Early detection is good, treatment is better, recovery is best.

Oh and drew, the word on the street is that you're going to want a nightgown for post-op, if it goes that way. Every single man in my father-in-law's friends circles who has had this has ended up wearing their wife's nightgown afterwards. Plan ahead, get something appropriately manly. With ruffles.

Keep us posted, keep your chin up, and we expect years more of poo stories, dammit!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-02-06, 11:07

Please ask your doctor if he can give you a constate.

You know, just to balance it out.

Best of luck.... Early is good news, though.
zippy
Veteran Member

2009-02-06, 11:12

Sorry to hear the news Drew. I'm glad you caught it early as that should greatly improve whatever treatment you need to follow. We're all pulling for you here!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-02-06, 12:23

Sorry to hear. It's really good that you caught it early.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-02-06, 12:54

Sorry drew, that really sucks. I'll throw in my hat with the silver lining though, early is always good with cancer.
rampancy

2009-02-06, 14:18

Good Lord. The good thing is that you had it detected early, and that's important. I know you've still got a fighting chance, though. We're all in your corner, here!

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-02-06, 15:00

Good luck poodrops!

My wife had a procedure to remove cancerous cells from her cervix last year. It was scary, but they did catch it early (thank goodness she went to the doctor for the first time in 5 years!) then too and were able to take care of the problem. They still monitor her condition closely, but she's doing much better. Hopefully, you'll have a similar experience and be fine. Best wishes to you!
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-02-06, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
working on the scar-comparison pick-up lines
I certainly hope so! I want to see you use them on teh busty wenches during the next Piratepalooza.

You can beat this thing Drew! I know you can.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-02-06, 19:25

I never know what to say in sad threads like this.

But early detection is always a good thing. Keep us updated, and get well soon <3 <3
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-02-06, 19:51

Whenever I hear news like this, it's always shock. I have a hard time not over thinking the simplest of issues - I can't imagine the questions that would be running through my little brain were I to hear such news.

Best of luck with this, my friend. I'm very optimistic for your situation, Drew and, it probably goes without saying, but we're all here for you and we're all sending positive thoughts your way.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-06, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It's early prostate cancer.
Got the call from the Doc this afternoon at 4:44pm
Two areas are affected so he wants to take the whole thing.
We've got to do tests to make sure that it hasn't already spread.
That's about all I know right now.

I'm a little scared, but mostly haven't quite see the big picture yet.
Don't want to be weepy though, that is SO uncool.

And I've been working on a special poo project, which I hope to launch sometime this year, so I have that to live for

Very sorry to hear this Drew-man. Keep your chin up. Because they've found it early, there's a very good chance indeed that it has not yet spread and that it will be completely remedied by the surgery. It's one of the most easily overcome cancers, and believe or not, roughly 70% of all men will get it or the early stages of it if they live long enough.

Two people in my family have had it so I myself am pre-disposed and will start getting tested this year for PSA, etc. We'll all keep you in our thoughts but you stay positive. You have a very good chance of kicking this thing to the curb. Ya hear?

-Moogs

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2009-02-06 at 20:37.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2009-02-06, 22:09

Best of luck man.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-02-06, 22:26

Fuck me.

Drew....just fuck.

I have a thousand questions. I have no answers.

I tend to avoid these type threads...I just get way too much of this at work.

But I am just surprised, and sad.

Do well, fight hard...Gah, you are the sweetest damn person on the fucking internet and this happens to you??

Don't wait...jump fast. I agree with getting more than one opinion, but do this fast, please. Most prostate cancer is slow, but there is an aggressive type and, well you have to jump on that fucker.

But I know that anybody who builds cardboard star troopers and who owns magical aussie koala ears will beat the shit out of this.

If you need anything...PM me.

Gavin

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-02-07, 04:45

Sorry to hear that, Drew.
Pirates kick that shit senseless.
All the best.
A.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-02-07, 09:13

Drew,

I too am sorry to hear that. I echo the recommendations in here: get a second opinion ASAP. Review the options and the pros and cons esp. for some one your age. (Don't let them skew the stats by people much older than you.)

I think the good news is medical science has vastly improved in this area, so prognosis is usually very good.

Good Luck!

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2009-02-07, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
Fuck me.

Drew....just fuck.

Gavin
Don't you think that might be a little uncomfortable given the news? And even then, are you sure you're his type?

I get squeamish just thinking about operations and tests, particularly in that vicinity, but ultimately there's a very good success rate treating it, especially when caught early, which is what you've done.

Gentlemen, remember to get checked, ahem... regularly

Best of luck Drew, cry when you need to, laugh when you can!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-02-07, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Gentlemen, remember to get checked, ahem... regularly
This is a valuable lesson for all of us dudes. You don't have to be 50 years old to get this. It's very common and if someone in your family has had it (father, uncle, brother), chances are pretty good you will get it too at some point, so get your PSA levels checked starting in your late 30s or early 40s. The success rate for completely removing the disease, if caught early, is very high. Around 95% I think. Stats are just stats in the end but getting yourself checked out is the key.

Meantime Drew, we're all behind you, bud. Like I said stay positive. The pirate shall prevail.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-02-07, 19:48

Aww fuck! Not cancer again!

drewprops, you are too cool for this shit. But I take some comfort in your good spirit. I trust you will keep us informed. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

<- trying my best
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-02-09, 08:45

I'm sorry to hear you have cancer, man. At least with prostate cancer there's a relative 5 year survival rate of 100% and a 91% survival rate over a 10 year period.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2009-02-19, 20:50

It has been a while since you posted about this, and every time I see a tv commercial for male-related ailments and products, I can't help thinking of you and wondering/worrying about how things are going.

Rather than choosing surgical removal, my dad had radioactive 'seeds' implanted in his prostate, and I think they were effective against the cancer cells; but since he tended to keep medical results private about such things, I was never sure if he had negative side effects from the radiation. He seemed quite healthy to all appearances.

I feel sure that you will have good results, Drew. You certainly have a lot of people wishing you the very best, and I think your positive attitude will be a great attribute too.

Much love and prayers.
TheLump
One nut, no Bazaar

Send a message via AIM to TheLump Send a message via Yahoo to TheLump  
2009-02-20, 14:20

sorry to take so long to post in this one, its a bit of a sore spot for me, cancer that is. I've been watching my eldest son deal with it since he was a baby. the last 3 years have been a bit of hell for me. he is 5 now and still dealing with neuroblastoma.

i truly hope the best for you drew, good luck man
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-05-01, 08:07

Hey everybody,
I owe you an update on what's going on with me as I think that I'm finally coming out of my "denial" phase... which is kind of funny because it didn't bloody well FEEL like denial... it felt more like "buried in work" and "just living life" and "oh yes, must get around to scheduling an appointment for a 2nd opinion" but it was, in actuality, me dicking around for 2 months without pursuing treatment... but then they DID say that prostate cancer is slow-growing.

So.

First of all, my prostate cancer is a Gleason 6 (which is on a scale from 1 to 10). The Urologist said that it was "garden variety", but that the best choice was in fact to have the prostate removed entirely.

The odds of recurrence, especially with me having it at such a young age, are high enough to make me agree with that assessment. Let's get it outta there.

Now.

Several weeks ago I was setting up a lunch with some college buddies and mentioned to one of them what I had going on. After the initial shock and expression of concern, he said "So you're going to get the Da Vinci surgery, right?"

Well, I hadn't been planning on it until that conversation.

The Da Vinci surgical "robot" is still relatively new on the scene and I had been kind of hesitant to even investigate that route. But this friend has been an architect in the medical profession going on 20 years and has watched the technology come along, and had a colleague who'd recently had that "robotic" surgery and was an evangelist for the method.

Here's a page with a video about the surgery, featuring the doctor who I'll be meeting with this coming Tuesday, to discuss my case and possibly set up a date for the surgery.

Wish me luck, and feel free to ask me questions. I've started telling more of my friends and it's good to get it off my chest.

No tippytoes necessary!! srsly

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2009-05-01, 08:36

Good luck Drew and address this stuff quick man. Don't put off stuff on this matter. The water bill can wait.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2009-05-01, 09:18

Drew, no tippytoes. I hope it works for ya and I like those odds that bpMF posted.