AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

My fickle love/hate of the Mac mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My fickle love/hate of the Mac mini
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Wraven

2005-02-16, 15:15

Hello All,
Some of you may have noticed yesterday that for a brief period I was selling my Mac mini on this site. If you feel like reading this let me give you a background story as to why I was doing this, and what an "adventure" I have had in the 24 hours since attempting to do that.

I had originally planned on getting a PowerMac back in December, but then decided to wait until MWSF '05 to see what "new" things would be coming out. Of course I heard about this "Mini Mac" rumor on this site, so that definitely caught my attention.

When the Mac mini was revealed at MWSF, I decided I would get a BTO 1.42Ghz with the SuperDrive, AE+BT, etc... and the stock 256MB of RAM (at the time it was WAY too expensive to upgrade through Apple). The only problem was I did not have the money to order it THAT DAY and within 24 hours or so the wait for a BTO became 3-4 weeks. By this time, though, I was Jonesin' hard for a Mac (this would be my first Mac).

The next week I called the Apple Store here in Plano, TX, USA to ask if they had any demo units of the Mac mini on display (I knew they would not be available for sale in the stores until the 22nd). A nice lady told me "No, but we are having an early opening "event" for the Mac mini and the iPod Shuffle on Saturday morning. Come and join the fun."

So I went. I was about 50th in line and the Mac minis quickly sold out before I even got in to the store. I figured "Oh well, I wanted a BTO anyway." However, I made a (slight) mistake and hung around to look at some other stuff and kind of befriended an Apple Store employee. About 5 minutes after I finished talking to him, he came back with a 1.42Ghz / 80GB Mac mini, brand-new in its box, waiting for me to take it home (they had reserved some for an Education customer presentation and had ONE left). I knew it didn't have a SuperDrive. I convinced myself I didn't care. I had procured enough funds in the week and a half since MWSF '04 to take this beast home NOW, or wait 3-4 more weeks to get enough funds to order the tricked-out BTO model (and wait 3-4 more weeks for it to be sent to me). As you all probably know, I bought it and took it home (much to the dismay of the other Macphiles that were hoping I would welsh on the offer so they could swoop in and take it themselves).

I opened the box, plugged it in, and everything worked. I loved it. I got all my photos imported (slowly) into iPhoto, all my music imported into iTunes, all my email, etc... Everything was going great in Mac land. For about 4 hours.

That's when I made the mistake of opening iMovie and iDVD. For one, the 256MB of RAM in my stock Mac mini was not nearly enough to handle these apps. Secondly, I took a good look at iDVD and lamented to myself that this IS a product I probably WOULD have used had I gotten a model with a SuperDrive (the wife bought me a slick little DV camcorder for Christmas that I am SUPPOSED to be using to record our son's first words, quirky behaviors, etc...).

So, within 2 days I began calling the Apple Store. Conversations, over the next THREE WEEKS, tended to go like this:

"Hello, I purchased a Mac mini from your store."
"Great, do you like it?"
"Yes, I love it. But it is a little slow opening multiple apps or using iMovie."
"You probably should add some RAM."
"Yes, that is why I am calling. Do you have a 1GB RAM module in stock that will work with the mini?"
"Let me check." (Long pause, hold). "Nope, we only have the 512MB stick."
"Thanks."

Variations were:
"We just got the tool in to open the mini! But alas, no 1GB module."
"We have the type of RAM you need, but it is for PowerMacs. It WOULD work, but Apple will not let us sell it to you."

I even got this!
"Apple has told us if people want more RAM, AE, and BT, they should go the BTO route." (thanks for nothing)

So, yesterday, I had enough of this. I just got off the phone with the Apple Store for about the 5th time. I made the post to sell my mini, and then after about 10 minutes of reflection, changed my mind. I then got the idea to perform the RAM upgrade myself (screw the warranty if need be).

I went to BestBuy's web site and after some searching found a good Kingston 1GB PC2700 DDR stick and went to the B&M store and picked it up. I also called CompUSA (let me tell you, BIG mistake) and found out that yes, the "Mac technician" was in, and he could install the RAM for me for $29 and it would meet the Apple warranty requirements.

So I went to CompUSA and got the WORST service I had ever experienced at a CompUSA in my life. Not only was the "Mac technician" incompetent (he asked such mind-boggling questions ALOUD, AND TO ME, such as "When did this come out?", "Can you add memory to this?", etc... he also made statements such as "I'll need to research this to see if upgrading the RAM requires some sort of tool."), he also did not seem AT ALL interested in talking to me or easing any of the fears I may have about letting him work on my computer (said fears I had obtained after he asked the questions I just listed above). The technician disappeared into the back saying he could "look at it" sometime tonight, waving me towards the counter to fill out a ticket. So I went to the counter and the guy behind the counter was just watching another customer fill out a ticket form and occasionally giving me a weird bug-eyed look. So after about 10 minutes of him holding this other customer's hand while he filled out the form, I said aloud (but NOT loudly), "You know what? No one here seems really interested in helping me, so I think I am just going to go somewhere else." I walked behind the counter, picked up my mini and the AC adapter (and the RAM, still in its box), and began to walk out. The guy behind the counter, startled, said "Oh, has no one helped you? Let me see..." and I said, simply, but not loudly "I'm out." And I left CompUSA, for the last time, pissed off.

I got home and decided I would try to upgrade the RAM myself. I was already a bit beaten down by my day, and I noticed I would need two thin (but wide) putty knives, there would be "popping and clicking" involved, yada yada... At this point I was not quite up to (potentially) ruining my mini, which I had grown to LOVE (but at the same time knew it needed some "help").

Thank GOD for Google. I found an article on macnn.com which talked about some company named FastMac that is offering not only RAM upgrades, but also hard drive and SUPERDRIVE (AHHHH!!!) upgrades. So I go to their web site and find a number to call. Damnit, sales is closed. So I call customer service and talk to this really nice person who FINALLY gave me the kind of service I had been hoping for all day. Not only did he tell me all about the RAM option I had, he also told me about their Mini-to-the-Max upgrade (which is an 8x Dual-Layer SuperDrive which works perfectly and natively in OS X with iDVD, etc...), and hard drive upgrade options.

I was ALL over it. I told him "I tried to call Sales, but it seems they are closed." He got someone from Sales who had not left for the day on the phone and she walked me through ordering. I asked the customer support guy again, "Does the SuperDrive work with iDVD?" The head of R&D for the company got on the phone and nicely assured me it does. I also asked about hard drive noise. The same guy told me that there would be no perceivable increase in noise from the hard drive, and that the only real noise will be from the mini's fan and from when the SuperDrive is being used. Sweetness!!!!

They told me they would be sending out an empty shipping box to me tomorrow (today), and I should get it on Friday or Monday. No good - I am going to be out of town on Friday and all weekend. I asked, "Can I take my mini to a UPS Store and send it to you directly?"

"Sure, just put down this reference number, our address, etc... and send it in." I sent it in today, and they should have it at their offices on Tuesday of next week at the latest. Then 1-2 days later (guaranteed turnaround time), they will send it back out to me. Hopefully I will have it at the end of next week or at the very latest, 2 weeks from now.

When all is said and done, this is what I will have - a Mac mini with 1GB of PC3200 RAM (running at PC2700 speeds more than likely), a 100GB 5400 RPM hard drive, and an 8x Dual-Layer SuperDrive that is seen natively in OS X as a SuperDrive (so it will work, in single layer mode, in iDVD). All these parts are covered by FastMac (1 year for SuperDrive, 3 years for the HD, and lifetime for the RAM). All for a very reasonable price that I can afford. And this will give me exactly (actually even better than) the Mac mini I wanted ever since I took it out of the box back on January 22nd.

So the point of the insanely long post? I, Wraven, am now (again) a happy Mac user (but temporarily without my lovely Mac mini), and I just wanted to share my story. Hopefully someone will learn from it (i.e. Apple / Apple Store's politics suck, CompUSA's service is TERRIBLE, and GOOGLE MOTHERF*CKERS!!!).

I'm out.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-02-17 at 14:25. Reason: Removed to note to the admins to move the post.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-16, 16:15

I saw that FastMac story at MacMinute yesterday. Very nice, but it's kinda sad that a third-party outfit has to step in and offer features that Apple can't/won't put in the mini themselves (either stock or via BTO).

Good luck...sounds like a properly beefed-up mini you'll have!
Wraven

2005-02-16, 16:24

Thanks for reading my stream-of-concsiousness post pscates!
Yes, I am HOPING that my mini will properly rule once it gets back. I am looking forward to it being able to burn DVDs and being a bit faster (from the faster HD) and handle more tasks at the same time, along with GarageBand, iMovie, and iDVD better (from the 1GB of RAM). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Wraven
ironlung

2005-02-16, 17:42

wraven..if you dont mind my asking..how much will the mini end up costing u?
Wraven

2005-02-16, 21:02

Fightclub,
No problem - I will tell. The stock 1.42GHz model cost me $599 plus tax (so $648.92 total). The SuperDrive upgrade is $199.95 (installed), the 1GB RAM upgrade is $199.95 (installed), and the 100GB 5400 RPM drive is $229.95 (installed). The total for the upgrades is $629.85 (no tax, includes shipping, insurance, etc...). So the grand total is $1278.77 it appears.

Now before anyone says "WTF? You can almost get a PowerMac for that much!" I say no you can't. You can't get a SMALL PowerMac with 1GB of RAM at any price. But even just based on specs you can't get a regular 1.8GHz PowerMac with 1GB of RAM and a 100GB hard drive for anything less than $1700. And, personally, I think the PowerMac is entirely too big. So for my needs (video / audio editing, general use, web site development, very occasional Warcraft III - not World of Warcraft), this is the PERFECT computer - small and powerful (at least after the upgrades).

I am thinking about getting a 20" or 23" ACD to pair with this bad boy. And I know all you iMac guys are saying "Why not an iMac?" I have explained this before - I like buying monitors that will last me YEARS, so I will splurge for a nice ACD and use it across the useful lifespan of 2 or 3 minis (or PowerMacs, or whatever). To each their own.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-02-16 at 21:08.
admactanium

2005-02-17, 00:19

good for you wraven. it's your money, do as you wish with it. you should see the money people sink into their cubes. which, especially now with the mini being introduced, make your upgrades look like small potatoes financially speaking. if it's now your perfect computer, then it's (nearly) invaluable.
defaultmike

2005-02-17, 00:25

wow, u must really love that mini. Not that I can blame you. Hey, lemme ask you something, did u get the pieces back? The old HDD, the old RAM module and the old Superdrive? If you did, than that wasn't a bad deal at all, but if u didn't, me thinks you got ripped!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-17, 00:36

yep - the RAM and Combo drive are no big deal, but the 80 gb hard drive is just cryin' to be put into a nice external portable firewire case

it sounds pretty sweet - a completely souped-up iMac mini (or it would be, with BT and AE, but still... wow!).
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-17, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraven
Fightclub,
No problem - I will tell. The stock 1.42GHz model cost me $599 plus tax (so $648.92 total). The SuperDrive upgrade is $199.95 (installed), the 1GB RAM upgrade is $199.95 (installed), and the 100GB 5400 RPM drive is $229.95 (installed). The total for the upgrades is $629.85 (no tax, includes shipping, insurance, etc...). So the grand total is $1278.77 it appears.
Warrenty be damned, there is no way I'm paying $629 on a computer that I can do upgrades myself...even if rigged, for less. I mean really, I'd have gone with an external SuperDrive and HD so that it could be used on a computer later. I'd have only paid maybe for the RAM then, if anything.

I will say though, it's nice to get such a nice computer, even for 1278, it's a good deal. Speed of my powerbook, with a bigger and faster HD. It'll be a thing of beauty.
Wraven

2005-02-17, 08:53

Thanks for all your thoughts. Yes, I'll be the first to tell you it is kind of expensive for the upgrades. I do not get to keep the old hardware. I still don't think I am getting ripped off on the whole (well, I am a bit on the hard drive, but that is OK - money is not that big of a concern for me). This is the most convenient and "safest" way to make these updates (i.e. covered by a warranty, compatible with AppleCare). I will say to ast3r3x though, an external DVD burner would probably not work with iDVD. The 8x Dual Layer SuperDrive they are putting in my mini is seen by OS X as an Apple SuperDrive, compatible with iDVD. This solution is also very clean as everything is in the mini. I will let you all know how it works out. I think this thing paired with a 20" or 23" ACD will be pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-02-17 at 09:23.
Wraven

2005-02-17, 09:12

Guys,
And yes, whenever the Apple Store or another business begins offering AE and BT upgrade installs, I will get those as well. That WILL be small potatos (probably less than $150 without the keyboard and mouse). I am also planning on getting Pages, the BT keyboard and mouse, and an iSight. Addicted, aren't I?

Cheers,
Wraven
defaultmike

2005-02-17, 09:22

actually Wraven, I'll take back what I said about u getting ripped off. You do have a souped up computer that's tiny. You have a better superdrive than PowerMacs do, a very decently sized HD that's faster than the original, and 1Gb of Ram... $1300 is not bad for that, specially cuz it does include the shipping of the Mini.

and if you're happy with it, then even better! Go for the BT and AE upgrades, they're good choices. Soup that baby up! Good luck with your mini. I sure envy you
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-02-17, 09:33

great job wraven...and perhaps apple will take note with the mac mini version two and offer similar BTO options...

i think actually that apple should make the second mac mini just a bit bigger (maybe 7 by 7 by 2.5") so it can get: a regular sized HD, 2 ram slots...

then it could run faster without much size increase

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wraven

2005-02-17, 09:42

Thanks defaultmike! I think I will be very happy with the little guy (once I get it back - I am going through mini withdrawal). I never thought I would miss having a Mac this much (I am writing this on my business's StinkPad T40).

Cheers,
Wraven
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-17, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
great job wraven...and perhaps apple will take note with the mac mini version two and offer similar BTO options...

i think actually that apple should make the second mac mini just a bit bigger (maybe 7 by 7 by 2.5") so it can get: a regular sized HD, 2 ram slots...

then it could run faster without much size increase

g
With the supposed popularity of the Mac mini, it wouldn't surprise me if this or something similar comes to pass soon, akin to the original iMac release and the subsequent releases of a greater array of models/options from which to choose.
Wraven

2005-02-17, 09:44

gelding,
I agree that they should offer the upgrades I am getting in a "version 2" model, however (and no offense), I really can't see them making it any bigger, because that would be kind of against the grain of what Apple does (IMO). Just think about it aesthetically. Two mini's next to each other would look weird if they were a different size. And from what I've seen, aesthetics are pretty important to Apple.

Cheers,
Wraven
Wraven

2005-02-17, 09:50

Ludwig,
I have to tell you, I very much agree (except on the size thing). That first day all the mini's at the Apple Store FLEW off the shelves, and I loved mine from day one. Even though I was not very happy with its multi-tasking ability (with the default amount of RAM and HD speed), I still though of it as a very good value for the price (great OS, good solid hardware, combo drive, serviceable amount of RAM and HD space, etc...). Even with my upgrades, I still consider it a great deal (hell, it will be CLOSE in specs, better and worse depending, to a previous generation G4 PowerMac, all in a TINY enclosure). I think Apple will sell millions of these (over their generations / model revisions).

Cheers,
Wraven

Last edited by Wraven : 2005-02-17 at 12:53.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-17, 10:12

I'm glad your happy Wraven.
  • You can save projects as a disc image and burn that through Disk Utility or Toast I believe.

You'll have to forgive my comments, sometimes I forget that not everyone is the same. You sound like your looking for a tightly integrated space saving machine. I use a powerbook, and can understand what you are looking for, it's nice to have something all together.

I like everything separate so it doesn't matter if I want to use it on my powerbook or on a tower if/when I get one. Size isn't a factor for me because I have my powerbook to use if i need portability or space saving. I also tend to gravitate to the greatest amount of speed I can afford because I always find a way to use it. I forget that there are people who just use email, interweb, and Word.

Enjoy your computer, while it's not what I would get, it's faster than mine, so I'm jealous
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-02-17, 11:59

Quote:
gelding,
I agree that they should offer the upgrades I am getting in a "version 2" model, however (and no offense), I really can't see them making it any bigger, because that would be kind of against the grain of what Apple does (IMO). Just think about it aesthetically. Two mini's next to each other would look weird if they were a different size. And from what I've seen, aesthetics are pretty important to Apple.
maybe...how much more is a small HD that runs at 5400 than a larger HD that runs at 5400 or 7200?? to keep that size and only one ram slot you need the small HD...

but apple does have the iPod, iPod mini and iPod shuffle...all different sizes

perhaps apple makes a mac mini and a mac mini pro (slightly bigger with 2 ram slots, better card and full sized HD at 7200 rpm...but price is almost double...so people with a monitor and going cheap get the mini, people with a monitor and more cash to spend--like wraven--get the mini pro...people with no monitor or just more cash to spend get the iMac and real video/graphic/print professions get the towers....)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wraven

2005-02-17, 12:54

Gelding,
I can see your point, especially if the mini REALLY takes off. Time will tell (as always).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-17, 14:09

g, the price difference between 4200 and 5400 RPM hard drives is almost nothing. Maybe $10 or $20. 7200 RPM laptop drives do command a premium, however, costing around $150 for a 60 GB one (it's $100 for a 60 GB, 5400 RPM laptop drive).

I'm very glad Apple put 5400 RPM drives standard in the PowerBooks. Given the tiny price difference, it would be ridiculous not to. Hopefully, the iBook and mini will get 5400 RPM drives in the next year or so. In fact, a year from now, I wouldn't be surprised if 4200 RPM laptop drives became difficult to find, just as 5400 RPM desktop hard drives are fairly rare these days (Apple still uses a 5400 RPM on the lowest-end eMac).
Wraven

2005-02-17, 14:35

Ast3r3x,
You can save iDVD projects as disk images to use in other apps? I did not know that! Wow, that's pretty cool. And definitely something to think about in the future. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Wraven
JayReding

2005-02-17, 14:47

It's built in with iDVD 5, but in iDVD 4 you can also enable a "hack" to save to disk images as well. It's a bit of a hassle, but it does let those of us who don't have SuperDrives but do have either external burners or other computers to burn DVDs made with iDVD.

And wow, that is one tricked-out Mac mini. Sounds like a very nice system, if a bit on the expensive side for my tastes. Still, you're not going to find a computer with those specs with that size...
Wraven

2005-02-17, 14:50

Thanks Jay. Even with that new information, I'm not too upset about getting the SuperDrive put in my mini. As I posted earlier (and as you mention as well) everything's "in the box" this way and still extremely small.

Cheers,
Wraven
Wraven

2005-02-17, 14:51

Oh yeah, and I don't consider $1278 too expensive for the kick-butt mini I will now have (given all it will be able to do). But that is just personal preference / opinion.

Cheers,
Wraven
W. Gallagher

2005-02-17, 16:13

Wraven,
Really great Thread!
I'm gathering info on the mini for my daughter's B'day so she can use iSight to "visit" with our spread-out family, and the MacMini is great as now we can afford to have all of our family converted over to the iSight and Mac (stable) platform, as well as "get together" on weekends.
All of the above comments from everyone are very much appreciated and in general, have confirmed that I need to load the mini with 1Gig ram and SuperDrive from the start. My updated/upgraded total came to just under $ 1,200.00 and can't wait to get it before her B'day (and maybe play with it a bit myself afterward).
Cheers,
Bill Gallagher
Wraven

2005-02-17, 16:22

Bill,
I agree - getting it BTO from the start is the best route. I got sucked in to an RDF type of "buy-me-now" message from that mini at the Apple Store, so the upgrades I talked about above I did only because I had to go outside the Apple route. The hard drive and SuperDrive won't be quite as nice as mine, but you'll still have a damn fine machine, and an easier time than I did getting to the end-game. Good luck and I hope your daughter enjoys her new mini. That is quite a birthday gift!

Cheers,
Wraven
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-17, 17:49

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I don't consider $1278 too expensive for the kick-butt mini I will now have (given all it will be able to do). But that is just personal preference / opinion.
I dunno, for $1278 I think the low end iMac is a much better deal. Helluvalot faster processor, included 17" LCD, 7200 RPM desktop drive, and twice the video RAM. The only disadvantage would be that it doesn't have a DVD burner.
Wraven

2005-02-17, 17:53

Luca, please ready my many posts on this subject (including ones above). I hate iMacs (there, I said it). I like buying a really nice monitor that you can use over the useful like of 2 or 3 computers. You cannot do this with an iMac.

This is just MY personal preference. SO, the mini (as I have upgraded it or as W. Gallagher will upgrade it for his daughter) is a great deal for PEOPLE LIKE ME who want a nice monitor without a computer attached to it (i.e. this allows me to go out and get a 20" or 23" ACD and be able to upgrade to a PowerMac or mini 2 or whatever in a year or two and still use the awesome ACD).

Cheers,
Wraven
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-02-17, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultmike
wow, u must really love that mini. Not that I can blame you. Hey, lemme ask you something, did u get the pieces back? The old HDD, the old RAM module and the old Superdrive? If you did, than that wasn't a bad deal at all, but if u didn't, me thinks you got ripped!
Quote:
Why do you keep the original items? And can I get my original HD back?

Trading in the original items allows us to significantly lower the price to you and offer free shipping and free professional installation. The internal optical drive and RAM have little value to an end-user, work in few machines, and usually end up in a closet. However, some people may want to use their hard drive for other purposes. Please contact us at info4@fastmac.com for more information on options.
FastMac FAQs