AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Staph Infections: how contagious?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Staph Infections: how contagious?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-07-27, 10:02

Does anyone know how contagious staph infections are? Somebody I work with has had a sore leg for a few days and when his knee started getting discolored and warm to the touch he got sent to the doctor... turns out he has a Stage 2 staff infection and is going to the hospital I'm just wondering how contagious the bacteria is because I'm getting my wisdom teeth taken out next week and a weakened immune system (+staph) would not be very good. Fortunately we all wear pants so it's been covered up but since it's stage 2 it's spread to his bloodstream... does this make it any more contagious? fuck... I really don't want staph. luckily i've been fanatically using that hand sanitizer stuff...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-07-27, 10:22

Usually not very contagious actually. Happened to a lady at work, had to have a chunk of leg taken out to keep her from dying. Scary stuff.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-27, 10:49

Just a bit of advice regarding hand sanitizer:

If you use the stuff and it kills 99% of the germs, you are left with only the hardcore germs. These guys now have no competition and can multiply even further, making your hands a breeding ground for resistant bacteria.

Just FYI
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-27, 10:52

Yah, I'm convinced half the reason so many of today's 18 and under crowd have allergies to every frickin thing under the sun, is because their parents over-sanitized every square inch of every thing the kid ever touched as a toddler, and consequently they don't build up any tolerance or immunity to stuff out in the world. Washing hands with that stuff a few times a day is fine but I suspect it is possible to go overboard.

...into the light of a dark black night.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-27, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Just a bit of advice regarding hand sanitizer:

If you use the stuff and it kills 99% of the germs, you are left with only the hardcore germs. These guys now have no competition and can multiply even further, making your hands a breeding ground for resistant bacteria.

Just FYI
Bullshit.

Ethanol, the common ingredient in hand sanitizer isn't discriminatory for non-virulent bacteria over virulent ones, except in the case of spore forming bacteria, but if you have sporulating bacteria on your hands, you are probably fucked anyway.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-07-27, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
but if you have sporulating bacteria on your hands, you are probably fucked anyway.

sporulating = cool word for the week.

YAH! Howya like Bobsky NOW?! Seriously though, isn't it possible to overdue that stuff and cause yourself more harm than good in the long run, especially if you're a little kid?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-07-27, 12:18

Just ask the Cleveland Browns how contagious Staph infections are.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-07-27, 12:20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus_aureus
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-07-27, 12:28

i had just glanced at the wiki article... after reading it fully it has one paragraph about it and i shouln't be too likely to catch it (knock on wood).
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-27, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
sporulating = cool word for the week.

YAH! Howya like Bobsky NOW?! Seriously though, isn't it possible to overdue that stuff and cause yourself more harm than good in the long run, especially if you're a little kid?
Certainly anything can be overdone -- but hand sanitizers only work for the instant they are used...

I wouldn't prescribe a child daily antibiotics... but hand sanitizers are probably a good thing...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-07-27, 14:15

There are stats on allergies/asthma from kids who spent time on/near farms.
Some city kids who visited or didn't and various control groups too.

Exposure to various animal dander and pollens 'seemed to correlate to higher tolerance' later in life.
More so versus the kids in OCD clean rooms. More allergies and asthmatics in that population.

No idea where the study was, but it was mentioned on radio/tv as well as online.

Halfway sounds like something on snopes.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-27, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Bullshit.

Ethanol, the common ingredient in hand sanitizer isn't discriminatory for non-virulent bacteria over virulent ones, except in the case of spore forming bacteria, but if you have sporulating bacteria on your hands, you are probably fucked anyway.
Teaches me to listen to my science teacher... I always thought he was full of shit.