Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Macbook Pro 15 inch Shortage?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook Pro 15 inch Shortage?
harrisw1

2007-09-19, 08:24

Hi All,

I had an interesting week. I was at the Apple Store in NH attempting to by a MacBook Pro (the 15 inch model for 1999). They had none in stock and didn't know when they would be getting any in. I then checked the Apple web site and the ship dates were 5 to 7 days.

So whats the deal with the shortage?

Also does anyone out there know what the Apple Store policy on holding an item is. I came back through NH a week later and attempted to have them hold one for me (6 came in the day before), and I got three different answers. Why was I so interested in buying a Macbook Pro in NH, no sales taxes and they will give you an educational discount.

Later
dead_stars

2007-09-19, 13:06

Well, I just finished a fun but stressful/anxiety filled three months at an AS and MBPros have been in short supply for awhile. Our guys asked and asked but corp kept saying they would send what they could.

As far as a hold, we had a call list where when some came in, those at the top of the list got called first and had to come in ASAP to get them. I guess your 2nd answer was a "no", so what would the third have been?

http://www.cybernetic-broadcasting.net/
Power Mac G5 DC 2.0GHz, 6.5gb RAM, ATI Radeon X1900 G5 ed, 250gb sys drive, 400gb media drive
8gb iPod (Red) nano - 2G / Silver 2G iPod Shuffle
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-09-19, 13:36

This may be the reason I cannot get mine back from being repaired. Left it at the Apple store a week ago (they told me 3 business days) as the screen went bad and I still do not have it. . . .

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-19, 14:13

New MacBooks at Paris?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
New MacBooks at Paris?
I really doubt that. These issues have been going on for a long time (I ordered mine August 7 and it didn't ship until September 6). Normally if it's just an update, shortages are very brief.

Besides, it hasn't been long enough since the last update, IMO.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-19, 14:27

I know. But, at the same time, Apple doesn't seem to have much left to announce at Paris besides the Leopard release date and the iPhone's availability in France.

But maybe that's enough.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-09-19, 14:50

Maybe the newfangled LED screens are giving Apple fits?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-09-19, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Maybe the newfangled LED screens are giving Apple fits?
That's what I figured it was. Other than the case, it was the only thing that was really unique to the 15" model (the 17" was shipping immediately when I ordered my 15"). That said, it's a beautiful display, and I'm okay with waiting for such a nice display.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dead_stars

2007-09-19, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
That's what I figured it was. Other than the case, it was the only thing that was really unique to the 15" model (the 17" was shipping immediately when I ordered my 15"). That said, it's a beautiful display, and I'm okay with waiting for such a nice display.
That jives with our availability of 17" vs 15". As a side note, if we had any 15"s it always seemed to be the glossy.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-09-19, 15:19

The 17" is probably in good supply because not many people order it. That said, I doubt there will be another update soon... it's only been three months since it was updated, and Apple usually takes 7-10 months. I guess, since the last update was so big, they might do a minor one in a shorter time frame, but I'm not sure. I think they prefer doing big updates 1-2 times a year.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-09-19, 15:40

There's a shortage of LEDs right now.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-19, 15:42

Mac Mini upgrades?

Steve Jobs: Mac whats?
MAJB

2007-09-20, 06:09

I ordered my MBP 15" on 10 August and it finally shipped on 14 September. Still haven't received it though. They have been on 7-10 day shipping times on the UK store for the last 2 months. Guess mine took longer as it was a BTO.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-22, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_stars View Post
That jives with our availability of 17" vs 15". As a side note, if we had any 15"s it always seemed to be the glossy.
Stupid question: is that because most buyers are opting for the matte?

(Just wondering if this is due to an Apple production policy or a demand issue.)
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-22, 08:55

Don't know exactly where to ask this but....

I have been looking quite closely at the MacBook Pro over the past couple of weeks. In three shops I have seen three 15 in. models (all matte) that shared the same unbecoming flaw: the screen did not close evenly with the body, and the lock mechanism was wonky. I don't mean that they were off by 1/1000 of a cm; it seems that the screens were warped, and that one side had a reasonable fit, while the other had a big old crack (pardon the expression) between the two pieces. It looked and felt "bad". That, and the lock/clasp did not have the firms grip on its counterpart.

Is this a common issue with the MacBook Pros? Does Apple have a problem fixing it when it does?

Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

(By comparison, the MacBook's magnetic lock system seemed to work very nicely indeed, and I didn't see warped screen (but we new this, I think.))
jeff182

2007-09-22, 13:18

theres a new build and you guys are talking about that tsss
dead_stars

2007-09-23, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Stupid question: is that because most buyers are opting for the matte?

(Just wondering if this is due to an Apple production policy or a demand issue.)
Was a demand issue. Most people opt for matte when given the choice. No such luck on MB or new iMacs though...but many requests.