User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 16 of 28 First Previous 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-06, 20:27

That's a great idea. We've done a similar thing at least twice before. In TerraNova, we each had a tiny plot for building houses, and in Feed The Beast we had a bunch of larger plots for a "magic-free" area of the world.

Here's the neighborhood from TerraNova:

That said, I'm going to hold off on my tower until I finish my floating frisbee thing. Could still take a while…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-06, 20:49

Who was it that built a version of the Gherkin in Bridgeport? That thing was swank.

Why did I forget and leave my power cable at the office today??!! I wanted to play some tonight!!

Oh well, 13% and falling..... see you kids via the 'pad.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-06, 22:32

I think we could set some ground rules. Maybe limit the height to 64 blocks above sidewalk, no greater than 20 blocks square, etc.

Also, useless construction. Rather than serving a purpose, these towers could be purely decorative.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-08, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
After the park is finished this will be my next thing - shooting for completion by the new 2014 movie premier. Monster Island, er, Swamp. Same 9 characters that I planned on before, just a different location. I'm pretty excited about it.
One month later... don't forget! May is sneaking closer.
¡Damned!

2014-03-08, 16:41

LOL! Gah, I was just talking to Ely about that.

I have to finish the park first. I'm not going to leave that hanging and unfinished, and I won't skimp on the details. There's been so many big builds that I've been pulled away from because of upgrades, I just can't. I won't.

The park will probably take me a couple more weeks, then I have a month-ish for the Kaiju. It'll be tight, yes.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-11, 14:28

Someone has been "wandering"!
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-03-11, 17:01

If it's the region out to the west, that was probably me; I headed around the back side of the mountain range to check out the villages already visible on the map, then forgot how to get back home. (What's annoying is that, when I found that second mesa biome at the edge, I thought I was really close to home before realizing it was the wrong one.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-11, 17:04

Get a little lost did we*?

*I can see how that could happen.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-11, 17:20

Indeed! We've got some world creep over the last couple of weeks. I think when I blast away The End on Thursday, I may also trim up the overworld.

What do you guys think about this?

This preserves the original 9 spawn megachunks, the immediately surrounding 16 megachunks, the 8 megachunks with the exploratory portals from the nether, and the 2 megachunks out to the west with the Petra/Al Khazneh site.

Anyone camped out in the red zone that I missed?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-11, 17:38

Do it to it, Lars!
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-03-11, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Anyone camped out in the red zone that I missed?
Hang on just one second...

Enhance:

What's that I see in there...?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-11, 18:33

Run, Forrest, RUN!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-11, 18:51

Is it worth trimming the chunks between the outpost there and the main body of the world? They'll only get regenerated almost immediately anyway.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-11, 20:52

Kill it all!

I assume that Ely's mountain thing is the reason for the western most chunks?

Man are there a lot of villages over there too! I just counted like 5 in that area alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Is it worth trimming the chunks between the outpost there and the main body of the world? They'll only get regenerated almost immediately anyway.
I'm not so sure of that. Most seem to use nether for transit that I know of.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-11, 21:00

Ok!

Also, I'll be wiping the same areas later (maybe more if we're not actually using all of the 16 ones surrounding) so we can get the new resources whenever the next release drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I assume that Ely's mountain thing is the reason for the western most chunks?
Yep!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-03-12, 15:09

Might as well keep the two mega-chunks directly to the west of the two we are already keeping out at Petra. I'm just going to regen them both anyways.

I'm also pretty sure Spec will be mad if you wipe his place.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-12, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Might as well keep the two mega-chunks directly to the west of the two we are already keeping out at Petra. I'm just going to regen them both anyways.

I'm also pretty sure Spec will be mad if you wipe his place.
Will do!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-15, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Speaking of building, i would like to proudly proclaim Jess' glass tower finished! Yay!!!

I would also like to suggest that we declare that entire north side of the sidewalk a "trail of towers". My thinking is that each of us could stake out a 25 x 25 plot along the sidewalk and build a tower along that back road. Might add some color and amusement to the area.

Thoughts?
Quote:
That's a great idea.
I like this idea enough that I'm marking off the area in the world as reserved for future use!

edit: Done! I've marked off four plots with fences next to Jess' tower along the road next to Grey's park.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-15, 13:03

Stake your claim!

We gonna role dice, or what? Lotsa playuhs, limited lots.

If no one is opposed, I claim next to Jess.

Edit: So, my original thinking for the Trail of Towers is that whatever gets built has no "general use". In other words, decorative buildings only. Go for height and art. 64 block top-out, pretty, lots of glass and color. These towers should be purely for decoration and fun. I hate to brag, but Jess' tower is a perfect example. It serves no other purpose than decoration and art. Personally, I think it's awesome, and I encouraged her to build it in C.C. for others to see. She has her treehouse to "live" in, so her tower is just for fun.

Then, I think we should have naming contests. *You don't get to name your own tower.* We get to name it for you based on popular vote. It was Brad that named the Whammer Dome, and it's stuck. Sometimes, the best suggestions come from others.

As always, open to input and suggestions.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-03-15 at 13:13.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-18, 23:21

Tonight several folks were good enough to come explore a rift that we'd discovered near my place during the Great Enderdragon Snafu on Sunday night. The territory is very likely between my place, Brad's White House, Atariboy's compound, and Grey's theme park. I dont' have exact coords, but there were some parts lit up with torches farther to the south.

Toward the end of the exploration people were leaving and my screen froze and started sounding SUPER LOUD alert noises in 3-beep bursts like a klaxon... it was alarming... I did a software test and found no problems, but am wondering if it was a RAM issue or something... the fan in the lappy was really running hot.

Anyway, please be aware of this rift and let me know if you already consider it as yours.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-19, 10:15

I've noticed a lot of "rifts" that appear to have been explored recently, but it's turning out many of them are copy-paste leftovers from past versions, untouched in who knows how long.

Aside from basements, wouldn't it be neat if we could "wipe" the below-ground over world?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-24, 18:11

I'm just bumping this thread to say that even though it doesn't look like it, I'm making slow and steady progress on my latest project. Now that the exterior has a nice shape, it's taking me much longer to complete the interior corridors and rooms. Most of the engineering hull is done! The saucer section is just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
How far does a dispensed Fire Charge travel again?
Alas.... we discovered that the fire charge travels infinitely on a horizontal line, unaffected by gravity, until it hits something. We learned this the hard way when Jess returned to her jungle tree house ~1000 blocks east to find some fire damage after we tested the torpedo launchers.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-24, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I've noticed a lot of "rifts" that appear to have been explored recently, but it's turning out many of them are copy-paste leftovers from past versions, untouched in who knows how long.

Aside from basements, wouldn't it be neat if we could "wipe" the below-ground over world?
I'm curious: where were you discovering these? The copy-paste operations I've done generally have been limited to the visible structure with only a little distance extended below the surface.

It's certainly possible for me to regenerate arbitrary rectangular-prism regions of the world, but unfortunately it's not as easy as deleting whole chunks. If there's a particular area you'd like wiped, just give the word, and I'll take a look! Keep in mind that any terrain regeneration will use the current 1.7-style world generator; if you're in the central spawn chunks that means it'll come out looking totally different (at least if we include the surface).

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-24, 18:25

Brad, go to my skellie grinder. Head toward stairs that lead up to the obelisk, but go around them, to the left. It's a platform above the cows. Follow that wall a few blocks west and you'll see a short corridor with stairs. It's the same rift we found after Enderdragon attack. I suspect previous explorations were yours or Atariboys
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-24, 18:29

It's like Drew's trying to say something to us but I just can't figure it out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-24, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It's like Drew's trying to say something to us but I just can't figure it out.
I don't feel like standing on my head in the showroom, so I'm afraid my translating skills will be of little use to you.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-24, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
sdfhkjlsdfhkjsdfhjksdfhjksdf
Ahh, unexplored ravines? Got it! I thought Ken was referring to something else.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-24, 18:50

Quote:
I'm curious: where were you discovering these? The copy-paste operations I've done generally have been limited to the visible structure with only a little distance extended below the surface.
Just kind of in general. We go digging around, find a nice, dark cavern, explore for a little while, then later find someone has been there. Ask around a bit and everyone is "nah, nope, don't know, huh-uh," etc. I think a lot of the caverns and such were explored 2 or 3 years ago. Really, there aren't a lot of new cave systems or caverns within Spawn, yet the ones I find are "claimed" by candles that were likely placed there *eons* ago.

I found a nice, little, abandoned mine by Jess' place, unlit, and started tearing out track. After about an hour, I popped around a corner and discovered a cavern with an obsidian floor and a crafting table right at a different entrance to the very same mine. That area was lit like nuts, yet I just didn't get the feeling anyone was doing anything with it.

Not complaining, just wondering if everyone is so absorbed in surface projects that claimed mines/caverns have been ignored or forgotten about for a very long time. There are lots of resources in those things, but no signs to denote claims, and many are nowhere near anyone. When I ask about them, quite often no one has any clue what belongs to whom. Unless it's underneath someone's house, it seams to have been long forgotten.

Ultimately, if I find torches, I turn around and go the other way. Still, it's a bit confusing.

¡Damned!

2014-03-24, 19:33

The current world (inside the trimmed boundaries) has only been around since July, so it's likely wherever you find torches that you're either pretty close to someone's mining system below their house or someone has taken another entrance to the same cave system down and started exploring from the other end.

As far as the structures that got moved from an older world, I think 13topia is the only one that Brad copied down to bedrock. Everything else should only have a dozen or so blocks at most transplanted below the surface.

The mine near Jess probably connects to the chasm near her (you can see a few shafts from the surface if you look into the chasm), and was likely explored by the settlers over there a while ago (Owen, Atariboy, iJak).

I've seen the weirdness you mention with caves ending and sheer walls, but really only at the cropped edge and below 13topia. Everywhere else I've explored (under the park, around 13topia, under the sea near my beach house) all seem fine.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-24, 19:35

Just fyi: my atoll was also copied down to bedrock, not that much was going on below the sub-sub-sub-basement.