Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 4 of 12 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 19:51

Spoiler alert!!

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I got hungry fast. Eating to replenish hunger instead of life is really disconcerting at first. This will certainly make the game more challenging. On the bright side, porkchops finally stack!

Also, HOLY BALLS I found my first new dungeon/deserted encampment and got totally gang raped by the new poison spiders. :eek

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Is variable height confirmed?
There wasn't a slider or option when I started the new world, but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel so much taller and bigger all around. I'll take some measurements in a sec.

edit:
Nope. Optical illusion. The mountains in this world are just more grandiose, for lack of a better word, making it feel taller.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 20:13

OK guys, I just made a SERIOUSLY SPOILERIFIC video that I'm about to upload to YouTube. New baddies. New Biomes. New items. New effects. Two skellies dueling! A potentially buggy Enderman who didn't freak out when I looked at him.

I have a shitty upstream and it'll take a good while...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
edit:
Nope. Optical illusion. The mountains in this world are just more grandiose, for lack of a better word, making it feel taller.
Looks like I was wrong again! In this world...

Sea level isn't at 64! So, the mountains really ARE taller.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 20:32

Arrgghh!!

Holding the mouse button doesn't default to repeated clicks like it used to. So, you have to click-click-click-click-click! quickly to defend yourself with your sword. This will take a LOT of getting-used-to.

Also...

Spiders can now fit vertically through a 1x1 hole. I found out the hard way.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-09, 20:36

Fuuuuuck!!! Squishy sneaky spiders?????? Can we leave the sun on ALL THE DAMNED TIME??

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-09, 20:38

Oh..... fun. I can't wait.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 20:39

Quote:
Spiders can now fit vertically through a 1x1 hole. I found out the hard way.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-09, 20:46

Can spiders make it around a lip now? Like the eve of a roof line?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I mistakenly left another 1x1 gap and this fucker snuck it and poison-raped me to near-death!

Yes, that means 1x1 holes in walls are unsafe too!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Can spiders make it around a lip now? Like the eve of a roof line?
Hard to say. In one world, I'm holed up in a... hole I dug in the wall IN DOWNTOWN SPIDER %@&#ING CITY (see above). In another world, I've only seen a few spiders wandering outside. I'll let you know if I progress far enough to put your question to the test.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 20:59

@Brad:

What is the green bar below the health and hunger bars?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 21:02

Here's the video. 15 minutes of me just wandering around. No "let's play" narration. Just actual gameplay.

I skipped YouTube/Vimeo because I didn't want to wait for conversion and because I believe YT caps at 10 minutes.

http://applenova.com/etc/brad/minecr...release-01.m4v

SPOILERIFIC! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Sorry it's kinda small. I wanted to actually be able to upload it in less than a day.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 21:03

Quote:
@Brad:

What is the green bar below the health and hunger bars?
It's like an XP bar. Killing things sometimes makes them drop experience orbs that fill up the bar.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 21:05

Quote:
Here's the video. 15 minutes of me just wandering around. No "let's play" narration. Just actual gameplay.

I skipped YouTube/Vimeo because I didn't want to wait for conversion and because I believe YT caps at 10 minutes.

http://applenova.com/etc/brad/minecr...release-01.m4v
Thx!

Quote:
It's like an XP bar. Killing things sometimes makes them drop experience orbs that fill up the bar.
Double Thx!

Ohhhhh. I had heard there was an XP system but I didn't know there was a bar for it on the main screen. Nifty!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-09, 21:07

Ism loarding int now.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-09, 21:38

WHAY!!!?? are you eatsing ALL THE TIMR???
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 22:17

OMG you're way braver than I am. I never try to kill creepers

Also,

ZOMG enderman. So, like, is putting a pumpkin on your head useful now? I thought that part of the comic was a joke, haha
And also,

Why was your health refilling? Was it because your hunger bar was full?
And also, the sunset was pretty.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-09, 22:53

Quote:
ZOMG enderman. So, like, is putting a pumpkin on your head useful now?
Yep.
When you wear a pumpkin on your head, you can look at the Endermen without them freaking out and chasing after you. I'm pretty sure this was originally a fan suggestion that Notch and Jeb made reality.

Also, did you notice
the lone Enderman taking damage (glowing red) and eventually dying in the water? That's their natural weakness, and a potential way to protect oneself or build traps.

Quote:
And also,

Why was your health refilling? Was it because your hunger bar was full?
Correct! Apparently this is the only way to heal now, AFAICT. When hunger bar is totally full, you slowly heal. When hunger bar is totally empty, you slowly take damage.

Quote:
And also, the sunset was pretty.
In general, the new lighting engine is really nice. The video doesn't do it justice. Torchlight in deep caves/mines is definitely a bit spookier, and the way the color/saturation changes with the falloff is pretty slick.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-09, 22:53

So i grabbed the prerelease, you guys have got to see what the seed 'AppleNova' generates. Not 100% sure how far i am from spawn, but its less than 1/4 day walk, so not too far:

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-09, 23:01

I call that spot for H...I mean, my next project!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-09, 23:13

What if we made /spawn so that you fall into water and land in a receiving station below? Would that kill any Endermen who warped along with you?

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-09, 23:33

clay also seems much more common
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-10, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
THANK GOD.
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-09-10, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
What's funny is that, in my 1.7.3 SSP world, I managed to collect 6.5 stacks of clay inside of 15 minutes. Maybe I just lucked out. (The map seed was 'Wolf', FYI.)
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-10, 00:20

Enderpoop?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 00:47

I continue to be impressed by the mountains in the new terrain generator.

The tallest one I found so far peaks at 121 blocks. Here's looking down from it.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-10, 01:05

woohoo! chests no longer require a space above them!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-10, 01:10

OK, spoilers off for now. Beta 1.8 information is pouring out across the Interwebs, and there's no sense in trying to hide it. If you want to be surprised, just stop reading here.

Ready?

OK, so...

Quote:
Fair warning: some of you guys are gonna have nightmares about the things you'll find in the new mineshaft/dungeon/strongholds.

Remember this guy I mentioned earlier? I fell into what appeared to be a ravine with an abandoned mine in it. A bunch of poison spiders attacked me, and I quickly dug a safe spot into the nearby wall.

I turned on "peaceful" to escape and explore for a bit, and I found no less than THREE spider spawners in the immediate vicinity. That's not all though. Sure, the spiders are scary, but then the mindfuck sets in. I'm in a huge (HUGE) abandoned mine. Obviously manmade structures and mining halls stretch out, all decaying with occasionally missing pieces, collapsed walls and ceilings, and of course spiderwebs peppered throughout. The previous occupants managed to keep up a few stray torches, and the rare chests I found had ingots of gold, redstone, and a few other valuables. There are side tunnels and diagonal tunnels that look just like players made them. I didn't reach the edge of the mine before getting lost and turned around and ending up back where I started. It must cover some roughly 100 blocks square.

These things are incredibly well designed. No doubt late at night places like this will give you the creeps, and I don't just mean the exploding kind. Mad props to Notch and Jeb for these additions.