User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What's It Gonna Take?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's It Gonna Take?
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-26, 18:56

709 came here for the pics.
¡Damned!

2019-06-26, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

But for you we'll make an exception and call it 1500!

Well that's good, a beer revue would make it then!

WRT the thread idea, in seriousness, one thing I'd like is a 'master-thread' or a 'sub-sub-forum' stickied in probably General Discussion with the top 50 (100?) all-time threads listed in descending order (by replies, not views). Make it visible, give newbies a sense of what the humor is (because, to be real, I love our humor here) and give a sense of the knowledge here as well. Plus, some real, old-time internet goodness with threads like "Apple made me a billion dollars because I'm on Adderall" or whatever that shit was. GOLD. The macgeek_v? stuff was legend. Quag's growth from an angsty young lad to someone who models in front of airplanes. We have a ton of funny shit buried out there. Some drama too, which is fun in small doses.

Anyway that's one idea. It'd be fun for new members to get a jist of it here and old members to laugh again at the crazy.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-06-26 at 19:18.
¡Damned!

2019-06-26, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
709 came here for the pics.
^ ^ ^
¡Damned!

2019-06-26, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Well that's good, a beer revue would make it then!
This got me wondering whether to make a new post in AO or put it our existing Beer Thread™. Then it got me thinking about how we have a lot of good interest-threads that span years. Like the Listening To? thread, the Movie thread, etc. The Photography was always a great. I don't know if you revive or revise, honestly. I wonder if it's possible to put a [code]blipblarp[|code] in these kind of threads once a month or so so they pop to the top of their subs.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2019-06-26, 19:53

Build on what we've got, I guess I'm saying.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-26, 21:17

I could make some of them sticky.

Tell you what, you pick out the best 5. Beer thread, movies, whatcha listenen at, etc. and I'll stick them somewhere. We'll call that a start.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
murbot
Hoonigan

2019-06-26, 23:08

I'll contribute to a drunken golfing something if there's any interest. (I know there isn't)
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-06-27, 08:18

All that made me think of was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvX9hSoGoY
Mac+
9" monochrome

2019-06-27, 17:25

Quote:
I could make some of them sticky.

Tell you what, you pick out the best 5. Beer thread, movies, whatcha listenen at, etc. and I'll stick them somewhere. We'll call that a start.
These may not be the best, but they are also part of nova folklore...

Hello, the... (we even had T-shirts I think)
Brad is corupt
Murbot kickin’ ass on a would be assailant
Murbot and the pppppowerbook
Murbot making pizza
Drew’s iPlank
Messiah’s red jacket... wait that may have been at the previous place

Plenty of gold to be mined.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2019-06-27, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post

Brad is corupt
Murbot making pizza
Drew’s iPlank

Thread for What?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-27, 22:58

excellent search terms

murbot
Hoonigan

2019-06-28, 12:29

!!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2019-06-28, 18:23

I'm in for tossing some cash at this thing to keep it alive. Good memories here.
zippy
Veteran Member

2019-07-01, 22:14

I think we need some of those flashy noise making animated ads. We missed out on that boat and it seems like that’s when things started to go downhill. There just wasn’t anything here to keep your attention.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-07-02, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post

Brad is corupt
Murbot making pizza
Drew’s iPlank

I think we're missing the Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member from that list.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2019-07-02, 21:51

My god, you people are nerds.
¡Damned!

2019-07-02, 21:59

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-03, 00:07

Dang, Kick, it’s good to see your name pop up after way too long!

Just couldn’t stay away, could you? It’s our handsome good looks, I know! Hopefully all is well with you. This joint needs some of the old timers to weigh in. Spill their guts. Yell a bit!

Edit: Also, we would appreciate your two bits. You were here in the beginning and have as much insight as any of us. So, seriously, what's kept you away? Life? Better social media prospects? We'd really like to know, and we'd like to hear your thoughts as to making AN relevant, again.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-07-03 at 12:10.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2019-07-07, 20:59

Life, Facebook, the pursuit of contracts...

Divorced, remarried, two boys (18 and 21) quit my job, got a new one, quit that one, started a consulting firm, formed a new corporation with some colleagues, been generally causing trouble and HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THE TIME.

Uh, I mean... not much.

Seriously, just went off the deep end of busy. lol

But *seriously*, I jetted in the election run up. The ol' place devolved into a few freakishly misinformed folks driving the narratives in almost every damned thread.

I gave up on it being resolved for the better, had better places to piss people off and watch friendships dissolve under irreconcilable differences. lol
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-08, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
But *seriously*, I jetted in the election run up. The ol' place devolved into a few freakishly misinformed folks driving the narratives in almost every damned thread.

I gave up on it being resolved for the better, had better places to piss people off and watch friendships dissolve under irreconcilable differences. lol
Just after the 2016 elections, I made a decision to withdraw myself from political discussion. Now, rather than going silly over it, I just try really hard to avoid it. Period! Doesn't matter if I agree or not. The whole thing makes me nuts! The world is becoming increasingly divided over who has the better quarterback, and I'm sick and tired of it. Thus, rather than "watch friendships dissolve under irreconcilable differences", I just avoid the conversation. I would rather have peace with my friends than war with my enemies any day of the week. In that thinking, I prefer to have friends than enemies, and the final conclusion means I should seek peace rather than war. Thus, I don't take part in the argument. No sense in it. It goes nowhere, no one changes, and the fight goes on.

And, Kick, your comment brings up a very good point. In asking why you are elsewhere and not here, I hadn't even thought of the political angle. Yet, I know that Scates disappeared around the same time, as did others. I think that means something. Politics kills friendships quicker than anything else. While I won't go down the "no politics here" road (it has it's place, at least) I do believe civil conversation can be had in other areas. Thus, I have stayed around while avoiding the left/right debate.

Seriously, we miss you around here, and I'm sorry you felt pushed away. You were a driving force, and the vast majority of our membership respects you. Come around once in a while. Share some thoughts. Vote for Pedro!

¡Damned!

2019-07-08, 18:23

Eh. I don't remember any friend<vs>friend drama too much... maybe a few harder pokes than normal. Maybe the political leanings got a little more apparent, sure. I'd hope that we knew each other wellish enough over the previous decade to not take supposed intention too seriously. Shit, that's what destroyed the community over at AI. Political Outsider from the very beginning was a cancer, but a delicious cancer for some of the more combative. That kinda happened here on a much more mellow and mature scale, a sliver of posts notwithstanding.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2019-07-08, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Divorced, remarried, two boys (18 and 21) quit my job, got a new one, quit that one, started a consulting firm, formed a new corporation with some colleagues, been generally causing trouble and HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THE TIME.
Also, amazing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-08, 23:01

Quote:
Eh. I don't remember any friend<vs>friend drama too much...
Theoretically, we're color blind in here. Yet, if we passed each other in an empty hallway we wouldn't have a clue who the other was. That said, I think "friend" might have a different meaning "in here" than "out there".

Serious question: Are invisible internet "friends" the same as visible IRL "friends"? I'm not sure they are, and I think I'll have a difficult time articulating that. I suppose it's why it can be so easy for people who posted on this board for 15-ish years to just walk away and never post again.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-09, 03:28

Quote:
Are invisible internet "friends" the same as visible IRL "friends"?
I'm not sure what this means. Are you suggesting friends you don't see in person are by necessity not quite the same?

IME, it really depends on how much you interact. Having common conversations on a public forum with hundreds of others around isn't that much interaction.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-09, 10:48

Quote:
I'm not sure what this means. Are you suggesting friends you don't see in person are by necessity not quite the same?
I'm suggesting that it doesn't "feel" the same. As I said, I'm not quite sure I can articulate what that means to me. I very much prefer face-to-face conversation to texting, chatting. messaging, foruming, or even Skyping.

Quote:
IME, it really depends on how much you interact. Having common conversations on a public forum with hundreds of others around isn't that much interaction.
Definitely true. I would be curious if there is a psychology study on the matter.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-07-09, 11:26

Quote:
Theoretically, we're color blind in here. Yet, if we passed each other in an empty hallway we wouldn't have a clue who the other was. That said, I think "friend" might have a different meaning "in here" than "out there".

Serious question: Are invisible internet "friends" the same as visible IRL "friends"? I'm not sure they are, and I think I'll have a difficult time articulating that. I suppose it's why it can be so easy for people who posted on this board for 15-ish years to just walk away and never post again.
For me, it wasn’t so much that I “walked away” (Applenova is still at the top of my bookmark list of social sites, and I still check it somewhat regularly), it’s that the conversation dried up. Well, conversations that’d I want join in on, I mean. (This is not a slight against Applenova or anyone here... there’s not a ton of stuff that I like to “nerd out” about, and the topics haven’t come up in a while, that’s all)

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-09, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
For me, it wasn’t so much that I “walked away” (Applenova is still at the top of my bookmark list of social sites, and I still check it somewhat regularly), it’s that the conversation dried up. Well, conversations that’d I want join in on, I mean. (This is not a slight against Applenova or anyone here... there’s not a ton of stuff that I like to “nerd out” about, and the topics haven’t come up in a while, that’s all)
Perhaps you could start a thread regarding topics you are interested in? Maybe see what happens?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2019-07-14, 18:01

Quote:
Also, amazing.
I have been a bit busy.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2019-07-15, 04:24

I, uh, moved to New Zealand if anyone happens to be in the area and wants to grab a beer.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-07-15, 11:58

I've been following that on Twitter and was wondering if you actually moved there permanently.

Good luck with the move.