User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Did shortages force Apple to skip other Intel models?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Did shortages force Apple to skip other Intel models?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Zebulunite

2006-01-12, 16:48

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/12/d...dels/#comments
http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...try_id=1385976

Quote:
There was something strange about Steve Jobs' Macworld keynote on Tuesday. The pacing was off.

It started off high energy with reports of unbelievable iPod sales and record revenues, which got the crowd whooping. Then it went into a doldrums with an interminable demo of new features in iLife, which had everyone dying for the One More Thing... "Come on Steve," we're all thinking. "Cut the crap and get to the good stuff."

So tonight I'm sitting in a bar when I run into an old friend, who is very highly placed in the Apple world. I hate to cite an anonymous source, but trust me, he knows.

And he tells me the keynote that Jobs gave was not the keynote he had planned. Some of the speech had been cut out. Key products were missing.

My source said there was some stuff, "some very, very cool stuff," that Jobs couldn't unveil because of "supply issues."

"They can't get enough Core Duo (chips)," said my source.

He also said that if he were me, he probably wouldn't order one of the new MacBook Pros.

I asked if there would be MacBook replacements for the 17-inch and 12-inch PowerBooks, but he said, "Oh, it's much cooler than that. Much cooler." - leander, Cult of Mac Blog

Last edited by Zebulunite : 2006-01-12 at 17:48.
noah

2006-01-12, 17:07

Interesting. I'm still going to buy a pbook 12".
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 17:17

I'm sure Apple has everything plan for this year already done.

Afterall it's no longer a "waiting game" with IBM and there "promises". Intel has everything in the bag.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-12, 17:19

If you really really need it, I guess... but right now the 12" PowerBook is the worst value in Apple's lineup. It's overdue for an upgrade, and has been basically since it was introduced.

I mean, if you really need one, fine, but... eh, it's just that the 12" PowerBook has such a nice form factor, but the way Apple configures and prices it is sucky!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-12, 17:36

I don't think Zebulunite is looking for a 12" PB, he was quoting from the 2nd of the 2 links he offered, without adding any content of his own, I might add.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-12, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
I don't think Zebulunite is looking for a 12" PB, he was quoting from the 2nd of the 2 links he offered, without adding any content of his own, I might add.
I was responding to noah... although, it probably would have been a better idea to post that in noah's purchasing advice thread.
Zebulunite

2006-01-12, 17:47

Quote:
Correct. I should have written somewhere that the quote was of the second site. (Edit: Just added it in)

I was going to write something myself, but couldn't think of anything before I had to do something else. But while I obviously don't know whether the author (or his source) are telling the truth, I wouldn't doubt that something along the lines of his story is true.
Zebulunite

2006-01-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
I'm sure Apple has everything plan for this year already done.

Afterall it's no longer a "waiting game" with IBM and there "promises". Intel has everything in the bag.
Probably, but I'd assume they would plan on there being a shortage of Core Duo processors, seeing as how just about every notebook manufacturer is planning on incorporating it into their lines, and every Core Duo based notebook looks to be delayed in shipping until Februrary.

Perhaps Intel simply wasn't able to allocate enough Core Duos for Apple to be able to introduce 3+ notebooks without huge shortages. With only one Core Duo based notebook, Apple would not have to spread their supply of chips as thin as they would with three or more.

Either that, or maybe they have a great enough surplus of 12" and 17" Powerbooks that it would make more sense financially to not introduce newer, superior models.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-01-12, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulunite
Correct. I should have written somewhere that the quote was of the second site. (Edit: Just added it in)

I was going to write something myself, but couldn't think of anything before I had to do something else. But while I obviously don't know whether the author (or his source) are telling the truth, I wouldn't doubt that something along the lines of his story is true.
I think anytime someone actually types the phrase,
Quote:
I hate to cite an anonymous source, but trust me, he knows.
can be assumed to be full of shit.
Zebulunite

2006-01-12, 18:01

Quote:
I think anytime someone actually types the phrase, can be assumed to be full of shit.
The vast majority of the time, at least.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-12, 18:05

If Intel can't supply enough chips for Apple, then we know Apple is cursed. No way Intel has enough chips for the PC world but APPLE is the reason they're in short supply. Besides which, they just happily announced a middle of the line (for intel) speed chip that won't ship until Feb.

Maybe Apple can't supply the hardware for the rest of the laptops, but no way I believe that Intel is the supply side issue here.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-12, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Intel has everything in the bag.
Intel's a lot bigger of a supplier, but Apple is one of the smallest of its clients, and regardless of any special treatment, they're now competing against HP and Dell and Gateway and all the little guys for the chips. And Intel may be making a lot, but they still have a limited number of processor manufacturing plants.
Zebulunite

2006-01-12, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
If Intel can't supply enough chips for Apple, then we know Apple is cursed. No way Intel has enough chips for the PC world but APPLE is the reason they're in short supply. Besides which, they just happily announced a middle of the line (for intel) speed chip that won't ship until Feb.

Maybe Apple can't supply the hardware for the rest of the laptops, but no way I believe that Intel is the supply side issue here.
I meant more along the lines of there being supply issues for all manufactures. Dell, for instance, has only officially announced one Core Duo based laptop (just like Apple), and I don't think too many others manufacturers (if any others) have announced more than one Core Duo based model. I definitely think that Intel will eventually be able to supply all the chips Apple wants/needs, but right now, when the Core Duo has just been released, I would expect there to be at least some supply issues.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-01-12, 18:27

Huh? I understood that Intel was ready for this 'boom'... making an astounding amount of Single- and Duo Core chips in advance?!
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-01-12, 18:34

I gotta say I thought the pace was off too, Steve hyped the crowd up and then rather unspectacularly announced the new iMac and PowerBook Core Duo... It felt almost like Steve himself didn't find it exciting?

jm.
Skaffen

2006-01-12, 18:39

Not only did it seem short but he also played the advert twice, and did the whole "thanks everybody" thing at the end, which struck me as a bit "I'm desperately trying to fill time here".
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 19:38

...and when Apple keynotes are too short, it means something is definitely up.

(See: The iMac G5 and the 15-minute short WWDC keynote.)

Of course, it's possible that we're all reading too much into this. Maybe he just thought we'd like his Mac ad (an actual Mac ad?!?!) so much, we'd want to see it again. But after last year, when the rumor mill was almost dead-on accurate, it seems odd that such oft-rumored things like an Apple media center were absent.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 19:43

Yeah, but I blame that more on a hickup with the Entertainment peeps..not Intel chips.

After all it'd would be using ViiV...not Dual Core.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 19:51

The Viiv platform uses the Core processor.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-12, 19:52

I'm betting there was something along those lines planned. That whole Viiv thing...

Perhaps now we'll have some special event in February or March to look forward to?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 19:55

Or April. I'd be surprised if April comes and passes without any special event, considering it's Apple's 30th anniversary and all. (I want a Thirtieth Anniversary Macintosh!)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2006-01-12, 20:02

Quote:
I asked if there would be MacBook replacements for the 17-inch and 12-inch PowerBooks, but he said, "Oh, it's much cooler than that. Much cooler."

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to suss out what's meant by this. Cooler than a PowerBook? WTF? I can't imagine what Apple could to to reinvent the pofessional laptop space. I mean, keyboard + screen = portable form factor can only go so many ways...right?

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 20:04

...tablet?

I'd love a "MacPad." Well, except the name.
noah

2006-01-12, 20:07

I'm yet to be really impressed by a tablet. But, if mac makes one it will probabbly be cool.
¡Damned!

2006-01-12, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I'd love a "MacPad." Well, except the name.
Oh my. I instantly conjured up a white 'Book with a bright red Apple logo smack dab in the centre.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 20:18

Quote:
Intel's a lot bigger of a supplier, but Apple is one of the smallest of its clients
What makes you think that? Apple will obviously be one of Intel's largest clients, and far and away the most high profile and sexy. Intel will give Apple much more respect than some people assume.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
I'm yet to be really impressed by a tablet. But, if mac makes one it will probabbly be cool.
I'm going to take over Brad's job of nitpicking.

"Mac" is not a company - it is a brand. Apple is the company that makes the Mac.

But you're right, if Apple makes a tablet it will probably be cool.

My Apple convertable tablet concept was always called the Flipbook, but now it'd most likely be called something lame, like "MacBook Pad."

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-12, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
What makes you think that? Apple will obviously be one of Intel's largest clients, and far and away the most high profile and sexy. Intel will give Apple much more respect than some people assume.
I agree. Apple is actually one of the top 5 computer makers in the world - people forget that just because their operating system has small market share.
Roland

2006-01-12, 20:35

Sounds believable, considering it's cult of mac and it's on the wired website. Doubt they are a bunch liars

My guess it that Apple is doing something with the ultra low voltage duo core processors. the MacBook pro uses the normal mobile version (T) and not even the low voltage version correct?
jevau

2006-01-12, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffen
Not only did it seem short but he also played the advert twice, and did the whole "thanks everybody" thing at the end, which struck me as a bit "I'm desperately trying to fill time here".
in october Jobs played both the Eminem iPod ad and the U2 iPod ad twice "just cos"

as far as rumors go, i wouldn't be surprised if something really crazy gets released sometime mid-year, but i really can't imagine anything that could top a 17" core duo... the iPod Invisa?