User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MP3s as QuickTime movie files?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MP3s as QuickTime movie files?
Yochanan

2006-04-07, 11:56

I've got 3 mp3s (that play fine in iTunes and the finder) that show up as "QuickTime movie files" under the "Kind" list in iTunes. They won't play on my iPod. What happened? What can I do to get things to act normally?

Last edited by Yochanan : 2006-04-07 at 12:04.
Yochanan

2006-04-07, 12:20

Will this as suggested in this thread over at MOSXH help?

I guess I'll just try it and see.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-07, 12:56

I suspect that you at some point saved those MP3s from your web browser or from QTP and in the process they were encapsulated with QT.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-04-07, 15:10

If the files are QuickTime MOVs with MP3 audio tracks, as Brad suspects, you have two options to get them to play on your iPod:

1. Fnd an app that allows you to perform a "passthrough" or "copy" encode, which saves the MP3 track in the MOV as a standalone MP3 file. This option results in a file with identical quality to the original. ffmpegX cannot do this with a MOV input which has only an audio track, and I can't think of another free/shareware app that does it either. Lots of professional encoding apps can do this but they're very expensive.

2. Open the MOV in QuickTime Pro and export using the "Sound to AIFF" option. The resulting file will play on your iPod (unless it's a shuffle), but you may prefer to convert to Apple Lossless (or WAV if you have an iPod shuffle) with iTunes. The resulting files will be of identical quality to the original. If you wish you can use iTunes to make an MP3 or AAC, but these will be "lossy" copies of the original MP3, so quality will not be identical (it may be good enough).

If the files are nothing personal, etc., I'd be happy to convert them to MP3 files for you using the passthrough method. PM me if you wish to avail yourself of this 3rd option!

Edit: no, DropCT will not help you.
Yochanan

2006-04-07, 18:14

Thanks for the help Dorian, you are most generous. Brad is correct though, I opened the mp3 files in the browser and clicked the down arrow and chose to save.

Since I only have 3 files, I'm just going to try to replace them manually. I'll option click this time. I've already got one so far.

Thanks for the answer about DropCT. I'm going to just delete it.