Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch
Page 5 of 11 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-01-04, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And, yes...do not sell your first-generation Apple Watch (hell, Apple anything, IMO). I'm glad I held onto my 2007 first-generation iPhone. Sometimes it's just fun to get it out and mess with it. A great piece of tech history that I'm glad I had the sense to hold onto (I had someone wanting to buy it a few years back, but I declined). I'm 100% convinced this will be the kind of thing I can whip out in a group of like-minded folks in another 10-15 years and get a big reaction. Just blow a bunch of nerds away.

Looking back, I wish I'd bought two and just kept the other completely boxed-up and unused. That would be worth something one day, I think...a pristine, fully-intact (packaging, documentation, accessories) first-generation iPhone. Go on Antiques Roadshow with it!
Heck, I still have my 2001 original 5GB FireWire iPod, and a Newton MessagePad 2000. *THAT* is fun to whip out at parties when someone is crowing about their latest can't-fit-it-in-my-pants phablet. "Yeah, I said the insane size didn't matter in 1997, either..."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-01-05, 00:12

Atari 800XL here.

#techdicksize

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-02-19, 12:15

Have we heard anything definitive yet on the battery life, specifically the "athletic" model? After getting the run around for months on the preordered Jawbone Up 3, I have decided to cancel it and thought about going with the Watch.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-02-19, 12:50

There hasn't been anything said about it besides that you'll have to charge it every night. That could mean many different things.
Wrao
Yarp

2015-02-19, 16:00

Hell a first generation iPhone in good condition will probably be worth a lot of money in 15-20 years.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-02-19, 17:47

I've kept each of my iPhones. Don't know how much they'll be worth, but I just like having them.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-02-27, 08:33

I'm buying the most inexpensive Apple Watch when it is released. I'll use it to track my running. I've debated the purchase though, since I haven't needed a watch to track my running before and sometimes I think these products cause people to overthink the basics rather than just "get up and go." I figure that if it is unobtrusive then I guess it wouldn't hurt to have certain information there when I decide to examine it. Only real drawback in my particular case is, I can't bring my phone into the office where I work, so I'm guessing that a watch is also not allowed in since it can transmit data. This will limit the Apple Watch to being a completely workout-related device for me, rather than a replacement for a regular watch.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-02-27, 15:45

Gruber linked to this piece today.

http://m.barrons.com/articles/BL-TB-46860

Analyst saying that the Apple Watch Edition is only going to cost $950. There no way in hell. The gold alone is going to cost more than that.

I love seeing all of these articles coming out. Very interested to see how all of this shakes out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-27, 20:39

I will be very shocked if it is that low unless it isn't solid 18k gold. The fact that there are so few details out right now is why speculation is so wild.

At least we will all know on the 9th.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-02-28, 06:32

The invitation looks lovely and very fitting for a spring event.

Also, this will hopefully fill in the blanks before the Pebble Time kickstarter reaches it's conclusion. For me this has turned out to be a big consideration because of the rumoured 19 hour battery life of the Apple Watch. Sure Pebble Time is not as slick as Apple Watch, but when you compare the features, it's pretty obvious what those features cost in terms of battery life.

Personally, I think the only feature set that the Apple really offers over Pebble is the communication features, such as being able to use the watch as a phone and the taptic/heart beat stuff. These features are undoubtedly cool, but are they really worth the hit in battery life?

I'm sort of beginning to warm up to the Pebble. Well, at least until I get my next dose of hype next monday...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-02-28, 10:58

I am going on record as predicting the first generation of this device will not be adopted on the scale of the first iPhone, although its presence will probably immediately start reshaping the watch market, just as the iphone did to its market. I think a lot of hype and hyperbole has been given to this device (especially Ive telling Swiss watch maker's they're "fucked" -- or whichever wonk / exec said that). I'm selling not buying on that. Just looking at it, I don't think it's going to be a world beater. Not at first anyway. It's too thick / clunky looking. The world expects thin and svelt from Apple now -- they've created a market monster with very specific tastes and expectations. I don't think this will quite do it.

Once they do the "iPod Pequeno" treatment on this thing and v2 comes out that's half as thick with the kinks worked out of the features, then it will take off.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-02-28, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I am going on record as predicting the first generation of this device will not be adopted on the scale of the first iPhone, although its presence will probably immediately start reshaping the watch market, just as the iphone did to its market. I think a lot of hype and hyperbole has been given to this device (especially Ive telling Swiss watch maker's they're "fucked" -- or whichever wonk / exec said that). I'm selling not buying on that. Just looking at it, I don't think it's going to be a world beater. Not at first anyway. It's too thick / clunky looking. The world expects thin and svelt from Apple now -- they've created a market monster with very specific tastes and expectations. I don't think this will quite do it.

Once they do the "iPod Pequeno" treatment on this thing and v2 comes out that's half as thick with the kinks worked out of the features, then it will take off.
I think this scenario is a safe bet with Apple. You never want Apple's first try at anything.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-02-28, 12:41

I bought the first MacBook Air, first iPhone & first iPad mini.

I've had pretty good luck. I don't buy that "Don't buy a Rev A of any Apple product" nonsense.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-02-28, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think this scenario is a safe bet with Apple. You never want Apple's first try at anything.
That does not bode well for future battery life. Thickness is far from the most pressing challenge for the Apple Watch, it's battery life and iPhone dependency.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-06, 14:27

MacRumors claims it has received confirmation from Apple that the claimed price for both the aluminum and stainless steel watches of $349, is INCORRECT. They do not confirm a price for the Edition watch but cite $4,500.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-03-06, 19:34

At this point I'm not spending any energy in what the pricing is going to be, just in how fast can I order the stainless steel version. I'm really looking forward to it. I will say that if the price is beyond my expectations then I'll settle for a Sport.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-03-07, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
At this point I'm not spending any energy in what the pricing is going to be, just in how fast can I order the stainless steel version. I'm really looking forward to it. I will say that if the price is beyond my expectations then I'll settle for a Sport.
My final guess would be that the standard Apple Watch will be priced at $499. Edition will go for $1999 and appear to be "a great deal" given the rumors.

In other news: Apple will claim to be one of the biggest buyers of Gold next to preppers and Glenn Beck.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-09, 22:42

So how many others will be ordering this early morning? We have over three hours to go before it's time to order. Nothing like an East Coast 0301 order time.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-09, 23:04

I'm telling myself I'm not going to order one until I can try one on. Probably.

But I am awake.

And weak.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-10, 00:33

Well, you can always order it then cancel the order if you don't like the look of it after you try it on. Best of all worlds.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-10, 02:12

Well, I couldn't get into the store via the web but I was able to order the Watches via iPad app. My wife's was the first one I ordered and it's apparently delayed already.

Mine however is much closer to the expected launch day.

I was going to get a nicer band from Apple but I need an athletic one and will just get a third party band for a fraction Apple is charging.

Grip

2015-04-10, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Well, I couldn't get into the store via the web but I was able to order the Watches via iPad app. My wife's was the first one I ordered and it's apparently delayed already.

Mine however is much closer to the expected launch day.

I was going to get a nicer band from Apple but I need an athletic one and will just get a third party band for a fraction Apple is charging.
Ordered through the app too. Much faster. Lesson learned from iPhone 5.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-04-10, 08:02

Somehow, I managed to convince my brain to not order until after I try it on.

Of course, now it seems like everything is backorderd to 4-6 weeks at minimum. Oh well.

I did hear about a site to swap your second sport band for one fo a different color, so that seems like something I'md definitely going to do. http://www.strapswap.com/

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2015-04-10, 09:28

I ordered two two steel ones and two aluminum ones within minutes of them going on sale, through the app, using Apple Pay. 4-6 weeks on all of them. May 13 at the earliest.

That's annoying.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-04-10, 11:44

Well, demand seem much higher than the supply. This is a good and bad thing I guess. I'm sure the issue for my wife's is the band.

For giggles I just checked and both of the watches I ordered now have an expected ship date of June for new orders. Guess it's a good thing I waited up for that one.

I'll check out strapswap.com and see if it's something that I can use. Why not right?

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-10, 21:25

I went into the store at the Fair Oaks mall in Northern Virginia tonight and checked out the watch. I didn't realize that I could go in and use them today - only thought try-ons were occurring, but I was able to look at each model and then actually use one. My wife and I both went in without high expectations. I honestly felt like, from the keynotes and reviews, that the watch would be pretty underwhelming.

My wife and I both left feeling like we wanted to buy one right on the spot. I think we may have done so if they were available. This is especially incredible with regards to my wife's thinking because she had not even considered it necessary whatsoever, is very conservative about spending, and is generally not very techy.

The watch was way easier to use than led on by the online reviews. It's also much nicer looking in person than in online pictures, especially as it relates to the way the straps look and feel in person. It definitely seems like a very thorough considered product and not a Gen 1 item like many have said. It was smooth, fast/responsive, and beautiful.

I'd be wearing one right now if they had one in stock...

Very impressed.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-04-11, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I went into the store at the Fair Oaks mall in Northern Virginia tonight and checked out the watch. I didn't realize that I could go in and use them today - only thought try-ons were occurring, but I was able to look at each model and then actually use one. My wife and I both went in without high expectations. I honestly felt like, from the keynotes and reviews, that the watch would be pretty underwhelming.

My wife and I both left feeling like we wanted to buy one right on the spot. I think we may have done so if they were available. This is especially incredible with regards to my wife's thinking because she had not even considered it necessary whatsoever, is very conservative about spending, and is generally not very techy.

The watch was way easier to use than led on by the online reviews. It's also much nicer looking in person than in online pictures, especially as it relates to the way the straps look and feel in person. It definitely seems like a very thorough considered product and not a Gen 1 item like many have said. It was smooth, fast/responsive, and beautiful.

I'd be wearing one right now if they had one in stock...

Very impressed.
Interesting point. I also think that Apple made a big mistake by not having the try-on session coincide with ample stock on hand. Everyone i saw at the store would have left with one on the spot. I went with two coworkers and the online store barrier and 1-2 month wait is enough to make them 2nd guess the impulse buy and hold off.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2015-04-11, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Interesting point. I also think that Apple made a big mistake by not having the try-on session coincide with ample stock on hand. Everyone i saw at the store would have left with one on the spot. I went with two coworkers and the online store barrier and 1-2 month wait is enough to make them 2nd guess the impulse buy and hold off.
I'm certain that the wait won't diminish their desire for it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-04-12, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I'm certain that the wait won't diminish their desire for it.
And I'm certain that it has because it did.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-12, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
And I'm certain that it has because it did.
I'm sure you realize it doesn't matter.

Companies have a reasonable timeframe after announcement to release a product. Constrained supplies also generate hype and a sense of urgency from potential buyers.

Apple Watch's success doesn't hinge on early adopters, but rather how good of a product it is.

In for one 42mm SS w/Milanese Loop + black sports band.