Rendezvous is now Bonjour. What?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rendezvous is now Bonjour. What?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 07:54

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

Any idea why the name is changing? Infringement on something else? Or was "Rendezvous" too difficult for simpletons to spell?

Isn't everyone still (outside of Mac OS X apps) calling this Zeroconf, anyway?

edit: Bah! I answered my own question...
Quote:
The second is "Bonjour" and will be the replacement name to "Rendezvous" which was subject of a law suit between Apple and TIBCO Software Inc. last year. TIBCO Software Inc. already owned the trademark "Rendezvous" and asked Apple to stop using it.
I suppose I'll leave the thread open for anyone who wants to complain about these silly French names.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-04-12, 07:59

If you dont mind getting dirty

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=891

The important bit:

"Last year, Tibco Software of Palo Alto, Calif., entered into a trademark dispute with Apple over its use of the Rendezvous name, alleging that the Apple technology, used in products such as Mac OS X and the iTunes Music Store, infringed on its exclusive rights to the Rendezvous name.

In July 2004, AppleInsider reported that the two companies agreed to end the dispute through a mutual out of court settlement. Sources close to the negotiations said that, as part of the deal, Apple agreed to phase out its use of the "Rendezvous" name in time."

And google could have found this answer for you

:smokey: :smokey:

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
And google could have found this answer for you
Note the edit I slipped in before you posted.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-04-12, 08:00

Obviously I took too long taking a quick jab at the powers that be
Axl

2005-04-12, 08:58

Should been 'Liaison' instead. Sounds better & it makes more sense.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-12, 09:28

Bonjour sounds retarded.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-12, 09:45

Imagine being French then. (j/k Powerdoc!)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-04-12, 10:14

For someone so adament about using the search function, it's amazing this thread was even created. Try using the search function, asshole

:: inserts clever screenshot highlighting Google bar in Firefox ::

:: inserts clever quoting of posting guidelines ::

Just tryin' to make you feel at home *hugz*

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 10:18

Still no one has answered my other question, though:

Isn't everyone still (outside of Mac OS X apps) calling this Zeroconf, anyway?

Is Apple just trying to confuse people with all these changing names? It just seems stupid to me.

Besides, who can't appreciate a thread making fun of the French?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 10:25

That's my understanding, but it's hardly the first time Apple has used its own nomenclature. Airport Extreme (802.11g) and Firewire (IEEE 1394) are good examples. Indeed, Bonjour does suck though. I would've gone for Zeroconf, or Handshake™, or Hello™, or something else.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-12, 10:27

how about "wassup, dog?"
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-04-12, 10:59

I'm content with Bonjour. The rest of you will be too, just as soon as something more irrelevantly important comes around to bitch about

Notice how we've pretty much wrapped up bitching about the iPod Shuffle?

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-12, 11:08

They should have called it "Yo"
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-12, 11:09

I'm now hearing the "YO" sound from Maelstrom in my head, thanks a lot.
¡Damned!

2005-04-12, 11:19

I'll have to rent 'The French Connection' again. I smell a conspiracy.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 13:04

I was reading through the new info on Bonjour and found this.

Quote:
Zero Configuration, Zero Hassles, Anywhere

Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005.
I wonder if it will be for just printers or all devices?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 13:20

sunrein: Bonjour is nothing new. It's Rendezvous with a new name. Rendezvous itself was just another name for Zeroconf. It's used for lots of things besides hardware like printers. Safari, iChat, iPhoto, and iTunes use it. SubEthaEdit, Transmit, OSXvnc, and Chicken of the VNC use it. I'm sure there are more software applications I can't think of now.

For details:

http://www.zeroconf.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Rendezvous

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 13:27

I know it isn't. Read the quote in my post. Apple is developing a free version for Windows.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-04-12, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrein
I know it isn't. Read the quote in my post. Apple is developing a free version for Windows.
Discovering and setting up printers using Apple's ported Printer Setup Wizard, and discovering HTTP and FTP servers in Internet Explorer.

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html

"Rendezvous for Windows Technology Preview 4
Technology Preview 4 of Rendezvous for Windows is now available. New features include the ability to discover Rendezvous printers that use LPR and IPP. Since Apple first launched Rendezvous in 2002, every major maker of network printers has adopted Rendezvous. With the included Rendezvous Printer Wizard, Windows users can also experience the benefits of being able to effortlessly discover and print to these Rendezvous printers. The Rendezvous Printer Wizard can also be used to print to USB shared printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base Stations. Rendezvous for Windows supports Windows XP and Windows 2000/2003. [Feb 28 2005]"
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 14:27

Old news.

Rendezvous for Windows Technology Preview and SDK

And Apple isn't the only one doing this, either. Howl is a cross-platform implementation of Zeroconf networking. Howl is open-source and royalty-free.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 14:33

Yeah I've seen that, but this sounds like more than just a "Rendezvous Printer Wizard". No? I know that Zeroconf is the open standard this is based on. Are they just talking about a name change in this upcoming release?

- Steve Jobs
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 14:36

Note the SDK, though:

"The Rendezvous SDK for Windows contains header files, libraries, and sample code to assist developers in creating Rendezvous enabled applications."

If there's any interest it in, Windows developers can already make programs that take advantage of Zeroconf auto-discovery (read: not just print wizards) that Mac OS X applications like SubEthaEdit, iTunes, etc. use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrein
Are they just talking about a name change in this upcoming release?
Bingo.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 14:41

Ah, okay. I guess it just sounded like they were trying to make some inroads with another cool bit of software (e.g. iTunes). Damn, they got my hopes up and it turns out it was just marketing.

- Steve Jobs
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-12, 14:46

Ye gods Brad, that merge made this thread *painful* to read.

Ow, my eyes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-12, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Ow, my eyes.
Better?

chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-04-13, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Howl is open-source and royalty-free.
So is Apple Rendezvous, with the exception that for using the logo, you need to go through a quality program (so people know that, when they see the logo, the software or device is certainly 'as Rendezvous-enabled as they expect').

Rendezvous is APSL (BSD-like), Howl is GPL. Rendezvous is used in KDE, Howl is used in GNOME. It's a friendly competition, for example, Apple Rendezvous developers frequently post to Howl's mailing list, and vice versa.

Also, much of Howl's original code was Rendezvous-based.

Just thought I'd make this clear - Apple isn't working "against" anyone here.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-04-13, 07:09

Chicken of the VNC is the best name for an App ever. And Bonjour does suck some serious arse. I have nothing of substance to add to this thread.
Bones3D

2005-04-13, 10:52

I'd have named it something more obvious of it's function, like "techbridge".
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2005-04-13, 13:04

Bonjour is a terrible name. Why call such a thing 'Hello'? Rendezvous - 'Meeting' - makes some sense.

The above suggestion that it should have been called 'Liaison' is spot on. Well suggested, that person.

I typed this message on a white MacBook.
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-04-13, 15:18

Quote:
The above suggestion that it should have been called 'Liaison' is spot on. Well suggested, that person.
Excuse me whilst I heartily second that motion.