User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Good Sync soft for PALM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Good Sync soft for PALM
cysio

2005-06-19, 23:05

I'm using palm treo 600 phone and i am looking for some kind of soft (freeware is a plus) that would be better than the original one (palm desktop) given by palm.

1. I would like to sync my contacts/callendar/tasks >>*with*>> address book/ical
2. Be able to look up my sd card while it is in my palm and copy files between the card and my computer (i do not want to buy any external card reader)

And lastly, i would like to ask if anyone know if there is any plugin for itunes which would enable music sync between the computer and palm?

I would appreciate replies with links.
rasmits
rams it

2005-06-19, 23:27

iSync? It says it works with the Treo family.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-19, 23:58

You must have never used a Palm PDA, rasmits! Even if you use iSync, you still have to use Palm's retarded software in order to sync. You have to use some kind of "iSync conduit" to use it with iSync, but iSync is not a replacement for Palm desktop.

Sorry cysio, but such software does not exist. Palm has put some pretty hefty restrictions on syncing and although there is a third party solution (MissingSync), it's not any better than Palm Desktop and it's very expensive ($40).
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-06-20, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You must have never used a Palm PDA, rasmits! Even if you use iSync, you still have to use Palm's retarded software in order to sync. You have to use some kind of "iSync conduit" to use it with iSync, but iSync is not a replacement for Palm desktop.
No, but iCal and AddressBook are. The Palm Desktop only needs to be installed so that the conduits are there, but you never have actually run it. All the syncing is done via iSync (which calls the Palm conduits), and the editing is done in your favorite application
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-06-20, 09:49

I am half with Luca on this and half not.. They could all be a lot better and it is sad in this day and age how unreliable and fraught with problems syncing is.

I think it is syncing software which is actually holding back adoption of more of these devices, because most of us have had two or three by now and are starting to be put off by the fact that they STILL CANNOT GET SYNCING TO WORK!!!

But... Missing Sync makes lots of stuff really easy (and the nice guys there gave me a 50% rebate on the Palm version because I had downloaded and paid for the Pocket PC version before I burnt my Pocket PC alive).

You can surf the web using Bluetooth, and the syncing whilst not perfect is ok with the iSync conduit, as long as you don't try to sync between machines and to your iDisk as the same time.. Then it all falls apart!!

The setup of Missing Sync also seems easier.. But they all seem to have that naff problem with Conduit setups where you have to learn to click the default button every time you change a conduit setting, or it simply ignores you. wtf is that all about!?!?!?

But Missing Sync is way more reliable than the Palm software which consistently gives problems and does not support web access.

I am now using iCal and my treo 650 to basically run my business with reminders on my treo, Mac and posted on the web for clients, and it's all syncing seamlessly. I can only do this since I started using Missing Sync.

From experience try to avoid 'all day events' in iCal as they get corrupted the more times you sync and move around the calendar!! I am not sure if that is Missing Sync, or just the Mac OS. I suspect a combination of both, to be honest.

And still the easiest and best way to install software is to simply copy the prc fle using Bluetooth.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2005-06-20 at 09:57.
cysio

2005-06-20, 17:36

the missing sync seems to work great for me, but it costs $40
i will play with it and maybe decide to buy it.
thanks for your advice