AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Photo Challenge Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-02-14, 18:44

We need more entries! CoachKrzyzewski, turtle2472, Brad, dmegatool, NosferaDrew, julesstoop, others? Pull your finger out!

Here's mine. It's not hugely abstract, but hopefully within the scope of this month's competition:

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-14, 20:05

I'll allow that.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2010-02-14, 20:47

Well. I haven't been into abstract lately, but here's my entry:

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-14, 23:37

I'm going to play. School work has really been keeping me busy. I'm not used to full time job + full time student. My post will be before tomorrow at midnight NYC.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-02-15, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
We need more entries! CoachKrzyzewski, turtle2472, Brad, dmegatool, NosferaDrew, julesstoop, others? Pull your finger out!
I actually had a perfect setup for an "abstract" photo last week but missed it. As I was walking into the office, there was a patch of dirt by the entrance that had these big 1-2 cm long ice crystals growing right out of the dirt itself. Had I been able to get in close for a photo, it would've literally been other-worldy, but alas I had to rush inside for a meeting and by the next time I came out and checked on the patch of dirt, all had melted and evaporated away.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-02-15, 00:09

been busy as hell with school and lost my usb cord for my camera ordered a usb SD card thingy from amazon.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-02-15, 17:58

Yeah, that is one of the great things about the new iMacs and MacBooks that have an SD card slot built in. I never download photos directly from my camera, I always stick my CF cards in a reader, its so much faster.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-02-15, 18:27

My printer as SD and CF slots for our desktop. I use a CF card for my DSLR, so I'm hoping someone comes out with a CF card reader for the iPad.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
As I was walking into the office, there was a patch of dirt by the entrance that had these big 1-2 cm long ice crystals growing right out of the dirt itself. Had I been able to get in close for a photo, it would've literally been other-worldy, but alas I had to rush inside for a meeting and by the next time I came out and checked on the patch of dirt, all had melted and evaporated away.
Sounds like this might be your kind of website.
Noel

2010-02-15, 23:41

Oh, what the hell.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-15, 23:56

I made it!

I'm so not used to life with a full time job and full time school. Time management is something I thought I was good at...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-02-16, 00:43

Managing full time school and full time work, is a job.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-16, 00:59

Thanks for the entries. Just two hours left, Pacific time, which by coincidence I am actually on as the contest concludes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-02-16, 01:16

Enjoying the west Chinney?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-02-16, 20:52

Sorry that I have not given my decision until now. Other things are happening here in Vancouver, where we are visiting. Yes we are enjoying B.C. PB! Vancouver is really shining today. But I'll post more about my impressions of the Olympics - and about Vancouver during the Olympics - in the other thread.

In the end, we actually had many more entries than I would have expected a week ago. More arrived over the last few days of the contest. Making a decision was tough. After some consideration, I'm going to award this week's prize to Dorian. While he suggests that his is not strictly-speaking abstract, it is still within the parameters of what I had in mind. I.e., the photo does not appeal from the point of view of being representational (even if you can figure out what it is, if you look closely), but appeals from the point of view of texture, patterns, colour, shading, depth of field effects and general visual interest. I quite like the juxtaposition of all those elements in the photo, and especially the texture overlay on the photo (those streaks on the glass), and the way half of it gives the impression of being in colour and half in black and white. Really quite an interesting and appealing photograph.

Some other really cool shots there too. I'd love to know what some of them are and how you took them. Turtle, Noel, Gspotter, and 'Rotto's are especially mysterious: care to fill us in? PB already revealed his. I'll just say that my own first "example" shot is indeed the interior ceiling of a big building - not a shopping centre as Turtle guessed, but actually the interior (about 15m high) of the National Gallery in Ottawa, taken simply by placing the camera facing up on a table, with time delay, when we were visiting at night. The second photo - my actual entry - is a photo of the front of an aluminum-doored refridgerator, taken at a slight angle that caused the light hitting it from various incandescent sources to create vertical wave patterns on the front of the doors due to slight irregularities in the aluminum.

In any event, over to you Dorian....for the selection of this month's theme...and to create a new thread to do it, if you like, as discussed above.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Noel

2010-02-16, 22:35

Mine was a macro shot of a paper lamp (from IKEA) on my desk.

Congrats, Dorian!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-02-17, 09:34

Congrats, Dorian!

Mine was me taking a picture of tree branches outside, into the sun with my iPhone, and swinging my iPhone around while it captured.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-02-17, 11:15

Yeah, congrats Dorian.

Mine was a lemon with no PP macro style. If I had set up my lighting better it would have been sharper. Maybe I'll shoot it again with the extras just for fun.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 13:29

Thanks Chinney!

My photo was taken from inside a phone booth, which supplied the graffitied glass. The girl's smiling face on the right is from an advertisement on the outside of an adjacent bus stop shelter. The face initially attracted my attention, after which I saw the phone booth and decided to shoot from inside it. I waited a few seconds until some passing cars added some colour from their taillights, then shot at f/4 with my 50 mm lens (75 mm angle-of-view on my camera). I would have liked better focus on the glass and a little more depth of field (maybe f/5.6 or f/8), but there wasn't much light and it all looked fine through my D60's squinty viewfinder!

Chinney's photo of the National Gallery interior was better than any of our attempts, in my opinion, but I didn't want to say that earlier for fear of influencing the judge.

I shall follow the suggestions about starting a new thread for the next theme. I might need a little time to think of a topic, though.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 14:05

Good choice, Chinney and congrats Dorian! Well deserved.

My shot was a 500€ bill, taken with a 85mm/1.4 at full aperture and a closeup lens to minimize depth of field.
I just bought a (used) car last weekend, so I had a stack of bills lying on my table when I was looking for a subject for my contes entry...).

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-02-17, 17:57

Thanks GSpotter and others. I've never seen a €500 note, and didn't even know they existed! I suppose that's the largest one in circulation?

I've started a new thread for the next contest, as suggested by people above. Click here.

The new topic is easy, I think (which doesn't mean it will be easy to win, of course!). I'd rather not sink this competition in only its third month.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-02-18, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Thanks GSpotter and others. I've never seen a €500 note, and didn't even know they existed! I suppose that's the largest one in circulation?
Yes. Until last weekend, I haven't seen one myself.