Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

New 1080p HDTV for FiOS

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New 1080p HDTV for FiOS
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2007-03-06, 22:44

Well, my family has finally given in, and we're getting our FiOS installed on March 15th. Needless to say I'm super-psyched. However, not all will be perfect once this incredible service is installed. We still have a standard definition CRT tv, and it won't do any justice to HD programming. In the latter half of this month, I will be going on a huge search for the perfect HDTV to complete our FiOS experience. It won't be easy, but I'm willing to give what it takes.
What I am looking for includes:

-something within the 50-58 inch range
-something ranging from around $1500 to $2500
-something that supports native 1080p
-something with a standard contrast ratio (which I think is now around 10,000:1 right?) or better
-probably plasma, since I've heard these are better, and no longer have a fading problem
-something with all the necessary inputs - enough for a DVD player and Wii at the same time
-Some Fantastic (I know it's true)...okay that was a bad joke
-something that a tech-geek will be satisfied with, and can brag about to all of his friends
-something that you guys love

All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-03-06, 23:06

You lucky guy. We have DirecTV at my house and I hate it. When it is good it is very clear and a great picture, but we often get "pixilation" type effect or the sound is trailing behind and we see the lips move after the words have been said. We really want FiOS but we can't get it in our neighborhood yet. Anyways, we have a Sony BRAVIA LDC 40 inch TV and it is great. That being said, the Sony SXRD's are really nice TV's and are pretty affordable in the larger sizes (50 -60 inch). If there is a Sony store by you it might be a good idea to go check them out. Other than that I don't really know much other than that I like our Sony and I am currently drooling over a huge 60" SXRD!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-06, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
You lucky guy. We have DirecTV at my house and I hate it. When it is good it is very clear and a great picture, but we often get "pixilation" type effect or the sound is trailing behind and we see the lips move after the words have been said. We really want FiOS but we can't get it in our neighborhood yet. Anyways, we have a Sony BRAVIA LDC 40 inch TV and it is great. That being said, the Sony SXRD's are really nice TV's and are pretty affordable in the larger sizes (50 -60 inch). If there is a Sony store by you it might be a good idea to go check them out. Other than that I don't really know much other than that I like our Sony and I am currently drooling over a huge 60" SXRD!
I have a 55inch Sony SXRD and its awesome. The only downfall, as compared to something like a Samsung, is that it only supports 1080p via HDMI and no component intputs. The picture is beautiful, especially in HD. I have the HD DVD player for my XBox360 and it is amazing.....I dont know what else to say. Definitely a big recommendation for the tv.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-03-06, 23:45

Anyone know how FiOS compares to the at&t u-verse?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-03-07, 00:42

Many people would say that that price range is perfect for the value-performance projectors. I know that you may just want to keep it easy and have a Plasma, but if the thought of a 100" screen in HD for the same price intrigues you... then you should check out a projector.

Here is a good link for a solid video-oriented system.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2007-03-07, 08:19

sorry, but youre going to have to up your price range. i work at best buy and even with our discount, theres no way a 50-58 inch 1080p screen is less than $2500. especially not with a plasma. you may have to settle for a DLP instead.

ps, wait until the LED backlit tvs come out. that'll drop the prices of LCD tvs and DLPs.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-03-07, 08:33

...or lower the size requirement. Seriously, 50-58 inches is huge. A 42-inch plasma would probably do the job very well.

Unless your house is genuinely enormous. In which case, you should be able to afford to up the price range.
doublem9876

2007-03-07, 16:12

I guess size requirement can go down a bit. Maybe I'm holding it too high.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-07, 16:35

size matters
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-03-07, 16:42

I used to be more firmly in the Plasma camp, but LCDs, especially by Sharp, have improved greatly even over the last year in contrast. They also use about 1/2 as much, or less, electricity as a plasmas, and you'll be able to find more 1080p models.

Of course, they are still a bit more expensive than plasmas.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
doublem9876

2007-03-07, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
size matters
What would you all say is the optimal screen size, not too big, not too small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I used to be more firmly in the Plasma camp, but LCDs, especially by Sharp, have improved greatly even over the last year in contrast. They also use about 1/2 as much, or less, electricity as a plasmas, and you'll be able to find more 1080p models.

Of course, they are still a bit more expensive than plasmas.
What are some typical contrast ratios for plasmas and LCDs these days?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-03-07, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
What would you all say is the optimal screen size, not too big, not too small?
I would say this ultimately depends on the size of your room. I mean, for me, the room i have my tv in isnt huge, and my tv is probably too big for the room, but i still love the size of it and Im very happy I got it.

Optimal size though I would usually say is between 42 and 50.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
doublem9876

2007-03-07, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Optimal size though I would usually say is between 42 and 50.
Thanks. Maybe I'll go for something more around this size.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-08, 09:47

I was at BestBuy last night killing some time and there were some nice DLP TV's there. You might want to consider them as well. They have come a long way from what I remember them. Huge screen sizes and great picture quality. I couldn't stand all the artifacting I saw on the LCDs. I know they are not on my list anytime soon.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-03-08, 12:20

Don't get plasma if you have a room with lots of sun. LCD is much better in rooms that get sun.

We just got an AQOS 42" after a lot of searching got it for 2 grand. Sharp AQOS won the "which one would you get?" when talking to all the sales help. It was about 3 to 1 in fact.

I also agree with turtle about the DLP's I would have strongly considered them but wall mounting was essential for us. You can't wall mount a DLP.
One thing about Best Buy is they don't always have HD programming in their stores which kind of makes looking a drag.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Last edited by SKMDC : 2007-03-08 at 12:34.
faust

2007-03-21, 12:32

I have a Pioneer Pdp-5070 and love it.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-03-21, 14:53

I hear you FiOS guys get 15mbs standard. Bastards.
Partial
Stallion

2007-04-03, 16:39

Wait, FiOS is TV? I thought it was internet. I don't understand the HD comments
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-03, 17:00

IPTV?

Adding a line so vBulletin's retardation doesn't kick in.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-03, 17:13

We have a 48" Panasonic Vieira. Really happy with it. Only one HDMI but plenty of SCART, a PCMCIA and an SD Reader all built in. They usually have a great deal on the stand too. 1600:1 contrast.

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/best_buy/plasma/plasma6.htm

Ours was £1200 when we bought it a couple of years ago, but they have gone up in price I think.