User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Moving from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4, updating iOS

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Moving from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4, updating iOS
robert1014

2010-07-26, 05:45

I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I'm a 3G user whose iPhone 4 is on its way to me by mail, and I'll probably get it by tomorrow. I never installed iOS 4 on my 3G (I have not downloaded it yet), due to reports of it causing slowdowns in performance on the 3G devices. As I anticipate moving up to the iPhone 4, I've been reading about transferring all my data over by doing a simple "Restore from backup." However, it seems the first step in this process requires (or it is "recommended") that one's current iPhone be synced and backed up and that the latest iOS be installed on it. Is there a way to move to the new iPhone 4 and transfer over all my old data, without installing iOS 4 on my 3G? Can I just backup/sync my 3G in iTunes, THEN download and install iOS 4, THEN set up iPhone 4 as a new device, and then sync over all my data? Is some other means possible or recommended?

Even though I'll be switching phones, I'm not keen on installing iOS on the 3G, in case something should happen and I would have to go back to using it for some reason, even if only temporarily. This is probably a groundless fear, but, just as when I upgrade to a new version of OS X, I keep a bootable backup of my drive with the previous OS installed, I think of this as sort of the same thing. I'm willing to bite the bullet and update the 3G with iOS 4 if this is really recommended, and certainly if it's required, but I can't find any information about setting up the iPhone 4 as a new device and what this means regarding subsequently transferring all my apps, contacts, and other data over to the new phone, and I'd prefer to be fully informed before I do anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by robert1014 : 2010-07-26 at 05:48. Reason: correction of typo and edit for clarity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-07-26, 06:37

My wife went from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 without a problem and her 3G was running OS v3.0 so she could keep the tethering hack. I just synced it through iTunes and did a restore from her phone. No problems at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
robert1014

2010-07-26, 06:52

Turtle,

Thanks. What were the exact steps you took? I don't want to install iOS4 in iTunes until after I backup/sync my 3G, as I'm afraid otherwise iOS4 will be installed on my 3G. Did you just backup the 3G, then install iOS4, then sync your wife's iPhone 4 in iTunes and restore from backup? Was it that simple, or was your procedure different in some way?

Last edited by robert1014 : 2010-07-26 at 06:54. Reason: typo
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-07-26, 08:02

The steps I took were normal connect 3G to iTunes and let it sync/backup. Do not allow the iOS upgrade. Connect iPhone 4 after you disconnect iPhone 3G. iTunes will ask if this is new phone or an upgrade and give you the option to choose a phone that has been backed up in that iTunes. I selected my wife's 3G to be restored from and a few minutes later the iPhone 4 was ready to use apps and such.

Really painless. You don't have to upgrade in iTunes until you want to do so.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
robert1014

2010-07-26, 08:49

Turtle,

Again, many thanks. As I assume iOS 4 is preinstalled on iPhone 4, I see your point in my not having to install it it iTunes until I'm ready.
robert1014

2010-07-27, 13:26

Turtle,

My iPhone 4 was delivered yesterday and I followed the steps you described to move from the 3G to the 4 and to activate it successfully. It worked like a charm! Thanks!

BTW, before slapping on the Belkin Grip Vue (clear) case that I bought a week ago in anticipation of receiving the device, I tried to replicate the antenna issue by pressing my thumb, finger and palm of hand over the mortal spot.

I could not get the bars to drop one iota.

More good news: I have had no proximity sensor issues and I see no brown/yellow spots on the glass where the adhesive hadn't yet cured.

Also, compared to the 3G, this thing is a speed demon. So far, so great!