iPhone 4 reception issues, "grip of death" reports
Page 29 of 29 First Previous 25 26 27 28 [29]  Thread Tools
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-07-21, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
There wasn't any major press reaction until, what, several weeks after it came out? And then only when CR got their hands on it. If Apple had volunteered to fix the problem, it wouldn't have become an issue. Of course, we all now know, there is no "problem". It's just a bad imperfect design.
Yeah that little parochial news corporate called the BBC only picked it up in the 24the June..... Now hang on a minute..... What day did the iPhone come out?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8759590.stm

Then again on the 2nd, 15th, and 16th July.

But obviously they aren't that major so lets try CNN, They published the story on the 24th June too....
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mob...id=NMD80kVYBdf

So i expect these trival news corps to be posting Droid stories any minute now....

Don't worry I am pulling your leg..... I know what you mean, but i think you have to agree that if the Droid X was an Apple product it would be on the front pages by now. And while i have my tin foil hat on, i think that some of the other mobile phone manufacturers had something to do with news hitting the front page, hence Apple's move to say all the other phone display the same problem.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-07-21, 14:40

One unintended consequence of this problem, the publicity around it and the press conference is that I can see many people standing in cell phone shops holding phones and watching bars drop. I think people will come to realize that the problem is more prevalent than they thought and not that big a deal. Apple really screwed other cell phone makers by highlighting this problem the way they have. It was a masterful stroke.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Noel

2010-07-22, 23:30

Well, exchanged my iPhone 4 for a new one today, mainly because of the insane number of dropped calls I've had — literally half of all the calls I'd made — but also because my phone made a rattling sound when I shook it, like a component was loose inside. The bars on the new one are dropping just as on the old one, but I've yet to actually use it for a call, so we'll see if the dropping is as frequent.

Guess a case will have to do.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-07-23, 08:01

Apple just released a statement saying the white iPhones have been delayed again, until "later this year".
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-07-23, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Well, exchanged my iPhone 4 for a new one today, mainly because of the insane number of dropped calls I've had — literally half of all the calls I'd made — but also because my phone made a rattling sound when I shook it, like a component was loose inside. The bars on the new one are dropping just as on the old one, but I've yet to actually use it for a call, so we'll see if the dropping is as frequent.

Guess a case will have to do.
Don't know about the iPhone 4 but that rattle noise was normal in earlier models. It's the camera and isn't grounds for an exchange.
Noel

2010-07-23, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Don't know about the iPhone 4 but that rattle noise was normal in earlier models. It's the camera and isn't grounds for an exchange.
The Genius I was talking to said it was not normal. Also, there is no rattling on my new one or the one my housemate got on launch day.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-07-23, 09:33

Just shook mine. No rattle detected.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-23, 09:43

My first iPhone 4 - the one with the bum vibration - had something of a rattle. My new one does not.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-23, 09:48

I've got a slight sound on my iPhone (2007). But I have to really shake it, and have it near my ear. In other words, it's the kind of thing I'd never encounter in real-life usage (after three years, this was the first time I've ever held my iPhone to my ear and shook it like that).

Is this the same thing?

It's not so much a rattle (which I think of as multiple, ongoing noises) as a single "click" with each back and forth movement. If I shake it really fast it sounds like a very small woodpecker inside my phone.
Noel

2010-07-23, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My first iPhone 4 - the one with the bum vibration - had something of a rattle. My new one does not.
I had bum vibration, too. Not 100% of the time, but frequently enough that it was clearly a defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've got a slight sound on my iPhone (2007). But I have to really shake it, and have it near my ear. In other words, it's the kind of thing I'd never encounter in real-life usage (after three years, this was the first time I've ever held my iPhone to my ear and shook it like that).

Is this the same thing?

It's not so much a rattle (which I think of as multiple, ongoing noises) as a single "click" with each back and forth movement. If I shake it really fast it sounds like a very small woodpecker inside my phone.
This must be the (apparently normal) camera thing AWM was referring to.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-07-23, 11:37

Don't know if you've seen that one.

Video of the anechoic chambers. I know pics have been show in the press conference the other day... Anyway, pretty cool to see them in video.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-07-23, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's it. It was quite common on 3G and 3GS phones. Can't remember exactly but it's something to do with the camera, maybe the lens. People don't normally shake their phone but if they heard it somehow they think something is wrong. I know I would!
Noel

2010-07-23, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
That's it. It was quite common on 3G and 3GS phones. Can't remember exactly but it's something to do with the camera, maybe the lens. People don't normally shake their phone but if they heard it somehow they think something is wrong. I know I would!
What about for things like shake to shuffle in iPod, or shake to reload in Facebook, or shake to change color in the Nissan LEAF iAd, or...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-23, 17:35

Or shake to undo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-07-23, 19:06

So, I just got my wife an iPhone 4 and it suffers from this issue even with the Microcell in the house. It the case really going to make a difference with this? She loves the phone and doesn't use it as a phone more so than all the other things it does. She hasn't gone through the case app, though I've installed it for her.

Also, I seem ot remember someone talking about taking an Ohmmeter to the antennas. I've got a digital meter and wouldn't mind checking to compare readings for fun.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-07-23, 20:45

OK Apple keeps updating their attenuation page showcasing popular smartphones that suffer from the same decrease in signal strength with the Droid X being the latest.

I really think Apple can stop now with these examples we get the point and in some ways I think this helps to keep this story going.

The Bumper program is on, the iPhone4 can't stay in stock, so at this point until some non Apple party perform these test in a controlled setting people are going to just look at this as Apple spinning and the PR machine at work.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-07-23, 21:11

Apple is reacting to Moto's recent full page ad saying the Droid-X's dual antennas would keep it from having the grip of death.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-23, 21:42

It is *really* unlike Apple's advertising philosophy with the iDevices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) to point out anything about competitors.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-23, 21:56

True, they've always avoided going down that road. And I've really liked that, as it was the business/commerce version of running a clean, non-negative political campaign. Apple always presented and elevated themselves based on the product's own merit and plusses, and never had to spend time running down the other guys.

But this is different, and they were (are?) getting hammered pretty hard on this issue. A glitchy, funky iPod is one thing. People's lives (and communication with friends and family) don't hinge on that like they do a phone, which is a more important, critical (and expensive, when you factor in the monthly bill) device to most people. Apple - considering the competition (unlike the iPod, which never really had any to speak of...sorry, Zune ) - probably feels it's worth fighting for, and defending themselves as best they can.

Especially if any competitor is going to get a bit mouthy and go out of their way to publicly ding the iPhone 4. They're practically begging to be singled out by Apple.

That's my guess, anyway.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-07-23, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Apple is reacting to Moto's recent full page ad saying the Droid-X's dual antennas would keep it from having the grip of death.
That might make for a good visual but bars really don't mean much. I would like to see an iPhone 4 in field test mode to see the db change when it's antenna is covered. It sounds like the iPhone suffers a greater decrease in signal than the other phones which would explain the dropped calls. Also, I don't think you really have to death grip it like they do in the videos but just bridge that gap to do it on the iPhone.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-23, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It is *really* unlike Apple's advertising philosophy with the iDevices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) to point out anything about competitors.
That's because you don't mention the competition when you're on the top. Starbucks never mentions their competition. Neither does McDonald's. (Microsoft does, sometimes.) The iPod is on the top. The iPhone isn't (yet). And all this antenna talk is very unusual for Apple, too. And the Motorola called them out pretty hard.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-07-24, 19:00

To be honest I think it is a warning shot to all the other mobile phone companies. As I have a feeling they were behind the media hype that Apple was battling against. Therefore this is a shot just ot say, we can make you look bad too (just like moto's Droid advert).