Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Another "Stories that get me mad" exept it's personal

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Another "Stories that get me mad" exept it's personal
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-04-03, 09:15

I was reading the thread on the fifteen year-old girl who was shot by a schizophrenic off his meds and they were talking about how horrible of a world we live in and I wanted to share this story I heard from this girl. Careful, it's long.

Friday, 6th period... I reached for my palm pilot as if I was Pinky asking Brain, "What are we doing tonight, Palm?" "The same thing we do every night, Nate, going to the Moore Center for hours of group therapy and nutritional lectures concerning your eating disorder."

So four o'clock comes around and we all sit down at the clinic for the usual Friday "Goals" session. Everyone's there. I look around and some people look better, some worse. In goals we get our sheet of our last week's goals and review how we did and come up with new ones for this week. We start to go around clockwise and share our goals for the next week. The very last girl, having like five minutes left, she seemed fine, seemed strong. But she wasn't. Someone did something horrible to this girl and I can't get over it, my heart can't stop crying.

She's been with the clinic far beyond the "typical" three months. She's heavily bulimic but was getting better. Emphasis on was. She's eventually moving to Utah for school and semi-needed to look for an apartment there. But her Father, loosing his job, couldn't afford a ticket there-and-back. But about a month or more ago one of her friends down there kept saying, "You should come down, I'll pay for your ticket back." And for forever she said no. And he's like, "Come on, it'd be fun. Someone did this nice thing for me once and I sorta want to pay it back. It'll be nice." So she said fine eventually and flew down to Utah. Let me regress slightly and emphasize how utterly horrible it is for someone struggling with an eating disorder to go away on vacation or anywhere for that matter. In all my personal experience and from listening to others' experience, it's all too easy to slip back down the slippery slope. When you're out of town, out of your routine, you have no control and the stress of having no control lets the eating disorder take over. And it's hell. Absolute hell. If you're bulimic, you begin to purge every-single-f***ing-thing you eat. You cry a lot because you're out of control and your support group (whether it be your friends or the Moore Center) is gone. She was alone. She was alone. Alone except for this one guy...

The first night she was there, they hung out.He picked her back up and they just started driving and talking. After he was done complaining about some random thing, he stops and says, "So, this is a pretty big favor I'm doing for you, paying for your ticket home..." And in her head she's like, "Excuse me? Your the one that begged me to come down here!" And he says to her, "I think you owe me something in return..." He then proceeds to forcefully guide her hand down his pants. While telling the story in goals, this is when she started crying. If she didn't, she couldn't get home. Think about that, do this horrible thing or be stuck in Utah indefinitely. It sounds like a would-you-rather from hell.

She finally gets dropped off at home, feeling like a slut and the guy proceeds to call her and inform her that because he wasn't satisfied with *it* that he wouldn't pay for her ticket home. Not only was she practically rapped, she was stuck in Utah, alone and broke. Let me once more rephrase for the single purpose to emphasize the point here. Forced to <explot deleated> in order to pay for a ticket home that her father couldn't afford, she was stuck in Utah anyway. She was stuck there for two and a half weeks because her father had to find the money. And here's the cherry: her best friend, whom she confides everything with, told her that by the way she dresses (which is in sweat pants and tee-shirts btw) that she can't expect men to be able to control themselves. Can't expect them to? Can't expect someone to control what they do to other people? Hear that, lawyers? Now the legal system is really f***ed.

I was so disgusted, appalled, distraught, and horrified that I cried. I couldn't possibly imagine what she's going through because on top of all that happened in Utah, she is fighting a immensely relapsing eating disorder. Try to picture the trauma, the guilt, the shame, and the pain this girl was going through. Try to picture her sitting up after her telling her story, tears still in her eyes, pulling herself together and walking out the door to home where her broke father was forced to pay for a plane ticket which he couldn't afford, putting their family further into debt. Keep that image in your head, just for a moment. That's all I ask. Take this time out of your day to just stop, listen, and think about... think about whatever comes to your mind. I'm just asking you to stop in respect for this girl because maybe with all this thought and reflection somehow we'll be able to grow up and improve the world we live in. Maybe.

[nate]
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-03, 10:38

This is just... horrible. How can anyone be so evil? And how can her "friend" say those things? Does she even have any true friends, or only ones who will deceive her and rape her?

I am constantly surprised by the level of cruelty people can display towards other people. Just the thought of such acts makes me sick.
Random Hero

2005-04-03, 13:34

Yeah if I had the ability I sure would like to stomp out those who like to exploit people in those situations. Guys like this dude need their teeth knocked back and their shit pushed in..

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-03, 14:07

Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 16:01

Why didn't she get the guy to pay for the ticket *there*?

always have a way out.
I'm not saying it was her fault, but with a little planning this could have been avoided. Even if she didn't have the money to get back.

btw, what did she do in utah without any money? (or maybe I shouldn't ask that question... :/ )

I hate people.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
nato64

2005-04-03, 16:34

i'm not clear on all the details but i did the best i could so i can't answer the obvious questions. she had money, just probably not enough to be able to go home. and i'm thinking the more time she spent there, the less money she had thus ended up broke by the end.

but yes, i am amazed a people's cruelty.
Random Hero

2005-04-03, 16:59

Show her you care. Set her up a Paypal account..
macgeek2004

2005-04-03, 17:28

The answer to "How can people be so evil?" is simple. Theres lots of evil brainwash in this world. I hate to say this, but indirectly movies like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, can cause things like this.
flail

2005-04-03, 17:35

I think you're wrong. Both of those movies showed good triumphing over evil and bringing evil to justice.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-04-03, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
The answer to "How can people be so evil?" is simple. Theres lots of evil brainwash in this world. I hate to say this, but indirectly movies like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, can cause things like this.
"Evil brainwash"?

Is anyone expected to take you seriously after you use a turn-of-phrase such as this (let alone your countless other infringments on logic and common decency)?

People have been capable of cruelty before movies existed. People have been capable of cruelty before the telegraph existed. People were probably capable of cruelty before written language existed, before spoken language existed. It really doesn't take much to be cruel.
nato64

2005-04-03, 17:45

blame, blame, blame... that's all we can do. can anyone see that there is just evil within ourselves and fear brings it out? as we fear a degenerating world outside our doors own behaviors become selfish and evil, perpetuating the degeneration.
macgeek2004

2005-04-03, 17:47

The movies show evil in them. That's enough. Watch a movie like The Secret Garden (which I hate by the way), and there will be no evil. There doesn't have to be evil in movies. But just because the good triumphs, theres still unneccesary evil.
nato64

2005-04-03, 17:49

there is a human fascination with evil and overcoming it. just take what you said, macgeek, The Secret Garden, it had no evil and you hated it.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 17:53

The guy who did this is an egoist sociopath. People like that should not be alowed to walk this earth without proper treatment just to prevent such atrocities from happening.
The general problem is that this type of attitude can be advantageous in lots of other 'professional' situations. So it's very difficult to single out these people before they have done anything wrong. Besides that - even if they behave like this - the people they prey upon are in general more docile an oftenly won't tell their story.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
The movies show evil in them. That's enough. Watch a movie like The Secret Garden (which I hate by the way), and there will be no evil. There doesn't have to be evil in movies. But just because the good triumphs, theres still unneccesary evil.

I thought you were just being sarcastic, or trolling, in the last post but I'm beginning to reconsider my position on that.

On the off chance that you think the evil in man comes from watching movies, run, don't walk, to the nearest library or bookstore where you can get your hands on Michael Ghiglieri's The Dark Side of Man.

There's biology behind all this, you know. People are not becoming more or less evil anytime soon.
WBG4

Send a message via ICQ to WBG4 Send a message via AIM to WBG4  
2005-04-03, 21:15

People suck ass. End of story
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-04-03, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
The guy who did this is an egoist sociopath. People like that should not be alowed to walk this earth without proper treatment just to prevent such atrocities from happening.
The general problem is that this type of attitude can be advantageous in lots of other 'professional' situations. So it's very difficult to single out these people before they have done anything wrong. Besides that - even if they behave like this - the people they prey upon are in general more docile an oftenly won't tell their story.
What "proper treatment"? FYI, there is no cure for sociopathy.

Most of them could be identified as such when they are young, before they develop the ability to fake empathy, but how do you want to "single them out"?

Sociopathy is not a sickness - unlike sick people, sociopaths are in full control of themselves. Unlike sick people, sociopaths are capable of understanding others, and the feelings of others, just fine. A total sociopath doesn't have empathy at all, even though they can usually fake it. And since you want to "single them out", where do you draw the line? No one cares about other people exactly as much as the next guy.

Of course I don't know the details, but apparently the only crime the asshole in the story *might* have committed is rape. Had he not used force, and just announced he only pays the ticket upon getting laid, he would have committed no crime whatsoever. The only solution for situations like that is to trust both people and circumstances a little less. Even if the guy was a normal, straight up fellow, a thing like him getting into an accident could also have stranded her in Utah.
As nasty as things went for nato64's friend, at every turn she had a choice. She could have not gone to Utah, she could have asked her "friend" to pay the ticket to Utah instead of the return ticket, and even when her "friend" revealed himself to be the asshole he was, she could have refused to do what he asked and looked to other sources for ticket funds... which she ended up having to do anyway.
nato64

2005-04-03, 21:29

my point is all of this is just that people hurt each other. this was the last thing she needed in a time of struggle and i don't believe that man can comprehend the damage he caused her. yes, she could have done this, she could have done that. but why should we live in a world where we constantly have to shield ourselves because we don't trust each other?

just look at canada... they leave their doors unlocked and nothing happens. their news doesn't shove violence and gore down people's throats. our media runs on the line, "if it bleeds, it leads."