User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Twitter and Protect My Tweets

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Twitter and Protect My Tweets
MacLahoriya

2009-08-05, 08:42

My wife created a twitter account less then 24 hours ago and kept her profile protected, assuming that anyone who wants to follow her must get first approval from her.

Now, within 24 hours some one I don;t how managed to FOLLOW and at the same time managed in the FOLLOWING section of my wife's account. She never approved that being as FOLLOWER or added that person as FOLLOWING.

I am puzzled how this could happen? How someone get into her account's FOLLOWING list. Should she get worry about it and create a new account?

Thanks.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.5.8
Entertainment:iPod nano (Orange) 8GB Phone:Nokia 5230
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-08-05, 09:19

I don't know about protected accounts, because I leave mine open.

Actually, I really don't get the pointed of a protected account. The whole idea of Twitter is that everyone's Tweets are out there to see.

I guess I can understand, but to me, the whole appeal about Twitter is connecting with so many different people, many of whom start following me first.

I know that I rarely try to follow a protected account because it's a pain in the ass and I get frustrated when I see one.

To each his own though I guess.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
MacLahoriya

2009-08-05, 09:27

we normally only use twitter to stay in touch with friends and family ppl. it is simple and fun.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-08-05, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLahoriya View Post
Now, within 24 hours some one I don;t how managed to FOLLOW and at the same time managed in the FOLLOWING section of my wife's account. She never approved that being as FOLLOWER or added that person as FOLLOWING.
I don't think that is possible regardless of the protection setting. It's either a bug, or an oversight on her part. In any case, she can simply block them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I don't know about protected accounts, because I leave mine open.

Actually, I really don't get the pointed of a protected account.
Agreed. I make it a point to unfollow anyone who has their updates protected, because it's such a nuisance to deal with. For example, link to a tweet of theirs, and someone else won't be able to read it. Ugh.

I guess I can see the appeal when you have an account exclusively for private use, like in MacLahoriya's case, but that's not really what Twitter is about to me.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-08-05, 13:00

Why did you join Twitter in the first place? It's a stupid website.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-08-05, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
"Because MySpace is so passé."
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-08-05, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Oh shut up.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2009-08-05, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh shut up.
I'm getting out the popcorn.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-08-05, 14:53

The thing about twitter for me is that I might not want current or former patients to be able to follow me. Rather than doing the protected account stuff, I just practice discretion in my tweets. But I can easily see the point.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

2009-08-05, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
I'm getting out the popcorn.
Well, we've had that debate before and it was as stupid then as it is now. I'll never follow or care to follow Oprah, nor any other idiot who thinks it's cool to "follow" more than a few hundred people (heck, even that is pushing it), when they can't reasonably keep up with any single message anyway. That's not what Twitter is about for me. Nor is it about being hip and watching CNN all day. I joined it long before most people ever heard of it, and I continue to use it the same way I used to. Thankfully, Twitter's practicality for that hasn't changed one bit, aside from minor problems such as spam. But to lump all Twitter users together, or to suggest that it's "the next big thing after Facebook which was the next big thing after MySpace" is just weak.
MacLahoriya

2009-08-05, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't think that is possible regardless of the protection setting. It's either a bug, or an oversight on her part. In any case, she can simply block them.
she is very new to twitter and actually i helped her make an account. she has not used it so far as i was/am tweaking the Settings of her account. she still has to write her first tweet.

anyways, thanks guys for your input.

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.5.8
Entertainment:iPod nano (Orange) 8GB Phone:Nokia 5230
popantique

2009-08-07, 22:40

They may be "following" but not actually able to see any of her tweets? Not sure.
¡Damned!

2009-08-07, 23:19

If Twitter would let me update my pic I'd be super happy.

Are they still freaked out by the DOSA?