User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Is it still snowy over there?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is it still snowy over there?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-03-31, 12:00

Just asking questions.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-03-31, 16:28

It is always snowy here.

Until the theme changes at least.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-31, 17:03

Quite spring-time where I am. Today was in the high-70's/low-80's, everything's blooming, green and growing, snakes are slithering about and I'm already one yard mow into the season. Ain't nothing snowy/winter about where I am. We had a very mild, uneventful winter, actually. Just one half-assed "snow event" that was merely a light dusting and all gone by later that afternoon. It was mid-March, back in 1993, that we had our biggest snowstorm ever here, about 9-11", which, for here, may as well been about 18-20 feet. It paralyzed the city for a full week. We just don't have the salt trucks and sweepers like northern cities, which prepare for and tackle such events as they happen. We all woke up to a blanket of white, deep snow and every school system within 30 miles was shut down for the week. Roads didn't get normal/passable until 3-4 days later, and snow was still in yards and shaded areas 1-2 weeks after. Because of that, I never assume anything. Even if stuff warms up and is sprouting green in March (as it has been in recent weeks), I always think back to 1993 and think "we could get a blizzard tomorrow, out of nowhere...we did before!"

But, looking at the forecast and all, and just by the general feel of "outside", I think winter is over for the year.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-04-01, 05:37

I'm only a tick south from Paul and I don't know what he's talking about - the accumulation is INCREDIBLE down here. It's not the white stuff - more of a yellowish green, honestly.

I braved the pollen drifts on Saturday to mow the lawn for the first time this year.

Then I decided to shovel an accumulation of leaves and pine straw from the gutter along the street on the side of the house.

SO. MANY. EARTHWORMS!

Some were 9 inches long, and thrashed around like snakes!

They're lucky that I haven't fished in a few decades. They simply got moved to a compost pile.

April showers are next, but the New Weather may have something to say about that.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-04-01, 08:33

Here in the Canadark, there are still small lingering piles of mucky snow in the car parks, but hopefully this is the last week of frosts.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-01, 11:11

Spring is "in the air", which is code for two weeks of nice weather until a surprise freeze kills all the fruit buds, and then it gets hot. The weather is warming up, but the windows are still occasionally frosty in the AM. Snow on the mountains still.

Here in Idaho, it's winter until it's not … and then it's summer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-04-01, 14:40

No snow since February here on the West Cost of Canada. Forsythia are almost done blooming , cherry trees in full bloom, leaves are popping on the trees and shrubs. Daffodils are blooming, tulips are coming now. Started mowing the lawn two weeks ago, so yeah spring is here.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-04-01, 18:58

We have snow scheduled in the next few days here in Connecticut. But ti was also 60 and sunny today.

False springs are an annual thin in the northeast US and I love them.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-02, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
False springs are an annual thin in the northeast US and I love them.
Same here in Idaho. In fact, now that it's going to be 70 today, there's snow in the forecast for the weekend!

Once the peach blossoms arrive, we know a freeze is coming.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-05, 10:47

As forecast, it is snowing. Not warm enough to stick, but cold enough for the white stuff, and I'm sure it's dumping in the mountains.

Just north of Boise is Bogus Basin Ski Resort. It's around 7000 feet. The understood rule is that you don't plant your garden until there's no snow on Bogus.

I live by that rule, because in Idaho it can snow well into late spring. We went camping one year (about fifteen years ago) at a campground around 3000 feet. It was late June, and it dropped seven inches of thick, wet snow in about two hours. The tent collapsed and we had to bail.

Spring is nothing more than a tease around here.