The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 103 of 104 First Previous 99 100 101 102 [103] 104  Next Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-12-19, 13:34

Marvel Drops Jonathan Majors After Assault Conviction

Uh oh. Marvel's phase 4 Big Bad just got fired.

If Disney is smart they'll just wrap up the whole dumb franchise and move on. The MCU was fun up through Endgame but now it feels like they've giving me homework if I want to keep up with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-12-19, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

If Disney is smart they'll just wrap up the whole dumb franchise and move on. The MCU was fun up through Endgame but now it feels like they've giving me homework if I want to keep up with it.
Yeah, Disney's a mess right now.

Although the handwringing over Majors is confusing to me. They recast the Hulk, and nobody cared. Chris Evans has played Captain America AND Human Torch.

There are a million horrible human beings in Hollywood. Any of them could work as the new Big Bad.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 13:51

Disney/Marvel definitely saw this coming - or at least were preparing for the worst - because [Loki S2 spoiler]:
Spoiler (click to toggle):
In the S2 finale, Loki's 'sacrifice' pretty much negates the multiversal Kang threat, and the TVA is seen picking off Kang variants in the timelines as if its no big deal.

A couple rewrites, introduce another Big Bad (which they were going to do anyways with F4), and The Kang Dynasty is now Strange vs. Doom: Hot Doctor on Doctor Action.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 16:45

Actually, I have to give props to Disney for waiting for the guilty verdict. So often an accusation is made and everyone expects the accused to quit or be fired. So much for innocent until proven guilty. Disney did this right for a change.

Personally, I'm so out of touch with the Disney/Marvel world now that I'm not even sure who this actor is. I have Loki S2 on my RADAR, but still haven't watched it yet (so I didn't click the spoiler tag. Thank you.) but plan to over this Christmas break with my older kids.

They can just recast his actor and give some excuse like they did with the Matrix and the Oracle who died between films. It is all make believe and supernatural so why not?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-19, 18:01

Exactly. Crazier, more unbelievable shit takes place in these movies than a character suddenly looking different from one project to the next.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-19, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Same. They said all that needed saying with their A-team, over the course of 10-11 years, wrapping it all up nicely. Now it's just all the other stuff nobody truly cares about. Anything is going to be a step down from Downey, Jackson, Johansson, etc.

"Homework" is the perfect description. None of it is really enjoyable and it always seems like you're gonna be tested on it at some random point. I've tried to pop in and follow a few things and I just can't care less. Wandavision? Loki? Captain Marvel? She-Hulk? How about nooooooo.

Fact is, after 12+ years, I'm absolutely superhero'ed out. Everyone who truly matters, or is truly interesting, their story has been told. In the case of DC, with their ongoing, multiple/revolvign Batmen, Jokers, etc. multiple times. I just can't be bothered with any of it. That Joker movie was a slog-and-a-half. Grim, morose, sad-sack, overwrought, nobody to root for, nobody to care about, etc. And now they're filming a sequel (bit shock) with, who else, but Lady Gaga?

You'd think DC/WB would go for the sure-fire get and move heaven and earth to bring Taylor Swift on board. She's even bigger, with wider, mainstream appeal, and opening weekend would be about $88 trillion, just from the 14-year-old junior high chick attendance alone. Gaga is way more my speed/tastes, but I don't represent anything they're after.

I should be careful saying that out loud, because the day Swift randomly shows up in a superhero/comic book franchise, I'm just going to shift over to Merchant-Ivory fare 24/7.

DC is finally kinda getting around to how they blew it with their whole first attempt, so things are being recast, rebooted, etc. We're about to have our fourth Superman in three decades, somebody nobody actually knows (which may work and be a good thing for the character/franchise). I just think they're trying to do it in the midst of nationwide Stage 3 superhero fatigue. It's a tall order, period. Filming starts in spring 2024 for a spring/summer 2025 release. And I'm going on record right now that nobody will give a shit.

With CG/AI and all that in the mix, the best, smartest thing DC/WB could do at this point is try to get the Christopher Reeve estate to agree to using his likeness/voice. They won't, of course, which means this particular character will always be a tough one to pull off. Boy Scout won't fly in the 2020's, but going dark, grim and morose isn't the character and that'll blow up in their face. I don't know how you do Superman these days, the way people/audiences are, etc. Glad it's not my job to try and figure that out, and blow millions of a studio's money to do so. This James Gunn guy will get his silly butt fired/tossed from it all if his Superman: Legacy doesn't hit HUGE in ~two years.

If you can't have a bonafide hit with a Superman movie, bug off and go work for the Dept. of Transportation, or Taco Bell.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Exactly. Crazier, more unbelievable shit takes place in these movies than a character suddenly looking different from one project to the next.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 20:00

Quote:
I should be careful saying that out loud, because the day Swift randomly shows up in a superhero/comic book franchise, I'm just going to shift over to Merchant-Ivory fare 24/7.
Shashi Kapoor looks forward to your company.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-21, 08:58

Bless her heart, she just doesn't get enough work/coverage/press/attention. By all means, stick her in a silly comic book movie, especially one as self-aware/meta as Deadpool, where they'll make a joke about her character dating/banging a pro football player.

Ugh.

I can't stand those Deadpool movies. I've seen both, and Ryan Reynolds, in general, kinda works my nerves (he gives Robin Williams a run in the "always on/trying too hard" department...relax, pal, you got the job. You don't have to be a 24/7 quip/slapstick machine). But he really does in this role. I'm 30 years beyond when I should've/would've found it funny/entertaining. That's just true.

And I've even lost patience with Hugh Jackman a little bit, who made such a big deal about being done with Wolverine during the press for that Logan movie. I told everyone "that's like Gene Simmons saying KISS is hanging it up...they have to say that stuff to ensure strong ticket sales, but, in 1-2 years, when another lucrative opportunity comes up to put the gear back on, they're gonna. Now he's gonna team up with(?) Deadpool in this upcoming one and be all quippy and breezy, in a way the character has never been portrayed by Jackman? That's gonna be odd.

I don't know. Why not stick Taylor Swift in there, at this point? It's just going to be a big silly bunch of noise anyway, she'll fit right in.

They all kinda deserve each other.

Being serious for four seconds, I truly do find it odd that Swift hasn't been pursued/courted harder by studios to appear in their big franchises, be it DC, Marvel, John Wick, Mission Impossible, Fast and More Furiouser, all those YA things (Maze Hunger Running Games, etc.). They have to know, whether she does a believable job or not, just her presence/participation guarantees HUGE opening weekend numbers and coverage/attention. She's so huge/popular, I can't believe she hasn't been stuck in a bunch of movies already, in her efforts to conquer/rule the entertainment universe! She must be more selective in her acting/movie pursuits/opportunities than she is about her shitty songs. I wouldn't have expected that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-12-21 at 09:17.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-04-01, 05:58

Ghostbusters: Ice Kingdom

It was fun, but not $17 fun.

Of course it isn't as crazily-unexpected as the original, but none of the sequels could be. Lots of safe bets and nostalgic callbacks.

Hollywood doesn't seem to have the creative ability or financial appetite to risk making gonzo films like the stuff it churned out in the 1980s.

The aforementioned Deadpool seems to be a rare example that defied the hamstrung industry.

I could talk about this (with my mouth) for quite a bit. But that's enough for here, for now.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-01, 08:20

I keep seeing the promo for this, but it doesn't show/give away much. What's the basic gist? I'm not a Ghostbusters fan, so I won't be seeing it. Use spoiler tags and everyone will be okay. Is the original, classic cast involved or is this further adventures of Finn Wolfhard and crew? I saw a smidge of that Afterlife movie the other night, but not enough to make me want to rewind/catch the whole thing. I figure you've seen one Ghostbuster movie, you've seen 'em all?

I just could never get into it like all my peers/buddies. Somehow, this - and The Goonies completely passed me by!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-01, 11:17

My kid took me to Dune: Part Two on Saturday. Fun movie, lots of very crazy audio. I'm not the biggest fan of remakes, but the first Dune was a terrible snore-fest.

I found it ironic that all three previews were all remakes. The Fall Guy: Not A Rerun This Time (looks stupid), Planet of the Apes: People are Bad (looks stupid), and Twister: Supersonic Flying Debris Cannot Hurt Me (looks stupid).

I leaned over to Jess and said, "Hollywood is out of ideas".

And, it is. Everything is either a remake, a political check-boxing shit-fest aimed at nothing, or a super-hero movie with empty heroes and dead-end storylines.

Fortunately, I'm too busy for movies.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-04-01 at 11:33.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-01, 19:23

Another Twister movie? Unknown Bill Paxton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman won’t be involved, but what about Helen Hunt, Alan Ruck, etc.? I saw the originals mail in the theater opening weekend and it’s always remained an enjotableccablecrewatch over the years. Outbid everything I’m aware of currently in production, this could be the one that gets me to part with $12-15 upon release. I’ve got a dab of real-life tornado experience, so the interest is there! Inwpuldnt havevto fake that, as I do with the 11th Batman/Joker recasting.

EDIT: I take all the above back. Just watched the trailer and it looks like a CW show about storm chasers.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-04-01, 19:39

Quote:

EDIT: I take all the above back. Just watched the trailer and it looks like a CW show about storm chasers.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-02, 10:22

Quote:
Told ya so!
¡Damned!

2024-04-02, 12:51

I still - still! - haven't been to the theater since The Masked Plague. There's been a few things that have come and gone that I would've liked to see on the big screen, but time and willingness of the other half to see something we can both agree on hasn't really aligned for us yet. My next hope is for Civil War – I like pretty much everything Alex Garland has done, some more than others – but I don't know if I can get her to go along with that one. After that, Furiosa would be my next shot. I expect she'll be more receptive to that, hopefully.

I know, I know, I could go alone... but it's more fun to see with someone rolling eyeballs at a ridiculous scene, or literally falling asleep dead in the middle of the movie (as she did with both Infinity War and Endgame). Maybe she doesn't trust my movie picking skills anymore?

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-02, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
(as she did with both Infinity War and Endgame).
Did anyone stay awake for those things?

Yeah, I hate going to the movies alone. I can do that at home, but a theater? Nothing quite so depressing as being the old guy alone at the theater. I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me, or making fun of my mismatched plaid!

Dune has been worth the nickels, but otherwise I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to unload money for theater-going. Although, my kid thinks we need to go for Phantom Menace, which lands on her birthday.

Brat!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-02, 13:36

I love going to movies solo. It’s what I do, 98% of the time. I don’t wanna unknowingly show up with a friend (or sweetie/cutie pie) I didn’t know was a motormouth/screen-talker/running commentator, because I’d have to kill them. I don’t wanna hear anyones moutg/horseshit, once the lights go down, until the credits start rolling. I have a serious STFU (and turn your phone OFF) stance at movies. Just easier to go alone because I know I can trust myself to adhere to both things.

My last multiplex visit is still December 2019 (The Rise of Skywalker, fittingly enough). Simply hasn’t been anything since that I’ve felt strongly enough about to dodge/deal with the hassle (price, others in attendance, my unforgiving, relentless bladder, etc.). Anything I drink is gonna want out within 30-40 minutes, and sometimes it’s a marathon, or repeat/encore, undertaking/session, and I wind up missing too much of the movie, as happened during It: Chapter 2. I was already lost/confused as it was, and having an Olympic-level piss-fest didn’t help one bit. Easier to stop/pause here at home, or pee with the door open and still hear the dialogue.

Today’s episode of TMI Theatre has been brought my to you by Tropicana orange juice and Quaker State motor oil! Good to the last drop, both. Just like me!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-04-02 at 13:51.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-04-02, 13:43

Oppenheimer in IMAX was worth seeing in theaters. Most everything else I'll just wait.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-02, 13:55

That, and Scorsese’s latest, Killers of the Flower Moon have been the only two things that almost got me to the multiplex since late 2019. I really wanted to see the latter, having both DiCaprio and De Niro. Those have been his two go-to leading men for so long, I really wanted to see a Scorsese movie with both on board!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-04-02, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
My kid took me to Dune: Part Two on Saturday. Fun movie, lots of very crazy audio. I'm not the biggest fan of remakes, but the first Dune was a terrible snore-fest.
I saw both the original Dune and this one in the theater, which is unusual for me. I think the one I saw before that was… 2012, in presumably the year 2012. (Exactly as forgettable as one would expect.)

Part one did indeed drag for way too long. I thought it was overly long and over about half an hour before it was actually over. Part two was I think better in that regard. But both are… lengthy to the point of being tedious. Yet also nice to look at. He does the worldbuilding fairly well.

Don't care about the story.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-02, 15:13

I saw the original Dune in the theater with my dad, decades ago. This was that shit-fest that had Sting in a role, which is the only reason I went. Dad is/was a big fan of the book and he was so let down. I had nothing to go on like that, it was just a boring, pointless movie, all on its own, period. As a result, I've had zero interest in this new one. Just isn't in my wheelhouse or on my radar. I'm not a sci-fi fan to start with. I just can't get into that stuff. Give me a good cop/legal/mafia crime-drama/thriller any day!

Something like Primal Fear with Richard Gere and Edward Norton, which is about as perfect of a movie in that style that I can think of. Anything with Laura Linney or Joan Allen slinking around, etc.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-04-02, 17:30

The current team at Disney is so stupidly incompetent, they managed to lose $130 million on an Indiana Jones movie.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-04-02, 17:42

That's because it was a poorly conceived CGI-fest with no real story and almost no "Indiana Jones" in the classic sense. It was mostly trying too hard to be a sleuth-y Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade film, but without the Indiana Jones, the Last, or the Crusade.

And, please, stop casting Harrison Ford for these types of roles. The man can't run anymore, he can't sleuth anymore, and he certainly can't Indiana Jones anymore. He needs to start being the old man that he is and taking roles in old-man films.

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-04-02 at 17:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-02, 18:37

I think Ford has been taking his late-career "victory lap" the past decade, bringing back his biggest roles for one last, underwhelming go-around. Han Solo, Rick Deckerd and Indy. I'd be more inclined to buy into/follow another John Book (Witness) or Richard Kimble ([I[The Fugitive[/i]) outing than the above action-fest, because, yes...he's too old and crusty to buy in those roles anymore. Sorry, not being mean or, God forbid, "ageist". Just saying what everyone already knows/thinks. It's asking a lot, when you can tell it's stuntmen or digital face replacement doing anything more strenuous than getting a beverage out of a fridge. I wouldn't mind seeing Ford bring back Book or Kimble in a role that relies less on physicality and jumping off high dams and just trying to outwit others. At some point, he's gotta hang up the blaster, whip and all the rest, but he could have a solid twilight career in "feisty mentors who recognize/accept their advanced years" type of roles. Even Clint Eastwood has settled into "cranky old man with a bit of piss and vinegar still in them" in a believable way (Gran Torino, Cry Macho, The Mule). Nobody's expecting this 90-something to be jumping off buildings and fighting entire barooms full of men half his age. That's where Ford needs to be exploring. Anyone believing he's donned the fedora and whip for the last time is just really gullible and will believe anything.

You know Disney/Lucasfilm isn't through with that character, or him playing it. There's just no way. And in their silly minds, CGI, deep fakes and AI give them permission/license to milk that character as long as they can, long after audience roll their eyes and "Indy, please...".

My favorite Harrison Ford role is John Book, the Philly cop from Witness. He was tough enough to be believable, but not above an ass-whipping (or getting shot and wrecking the car/knocking over a bird house trying to leave the Amish farm because he accidentally saw Kelly McGillis' titties and is feeling guilt/shame over it. So he hangs around, recovers and becomes a one-man barn-building operation for his grateful caretakers. Oh, and beats the shit out of some deserving town bullies. Getting you ass kicked with an ice cream cone is a tough one to take.

It's a very watchable movie, in the "fish out of water" genre usually played as comedies, for laughs (stockbroker Will Ferrell accidentally gets hooked up with a traveling rodeo expo group, charter boat captain Ryan Reynolds falls in love with a society dame and has to learn how to eat with silverware, and not wet-fart in the kitchen, if he's ever going to be accepted into "society", etc.).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-04-02, 18:43

Ford is great in Shrinking. That’s exactly the kind of role he should take on now. A bit grumpy, a bit wise, a bit self-deprecating.

Studios need to stop casting action stars from half a century ago. (Stares at Patrick Stewart.)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-04-02, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
.....My next hope is for Civil War – I like pretty much everything Alex Garland has done, some more than others – but I don't know if I can get her to go along with that one...
Geez oh pete, I saw the trailer for Civil War during the previews for Ghostbutter and it just put a sick sensation in my gut.

That is a REAL horror film to me.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-03, 09:23

The Worst Movie Ever Made (but everyone dutifully pretended otherwise and squealed with ginned-up delight), Joker, had an audio teaser clip of Lady Gaga, in character as Harley Quinn breathlessly whispers “you can do anything, you’re Joker”. I don’t think enough of this stupid movie - and that it’s getting a sequel - to provide any links. I don’t wanna accidentally promote it. But it’s out there - Yahoo, YouTube, etc. - for anyone interested in nothing.

I don’t know why I hate this movie as much as I do, I just do. Everything about it. perhaps the over-caffeinated neckbeards jizzing themselves non-stop about it? How it asked me to feel sorry for a complete mope of a shithead who largely brought about his own misery/trouble, how every authority figure in the movie was a dope and only sweet, twisted and damaged Arthur had any competency or insight, just the overall obnoxious vibe and the celebrating of criminal lunacy, etc. i can only imagine the sequel is more of the same, x5 (emboldened by the success/acceptance of the first one). I guess they’ll land Al Pacino in a small role, and shoot him in the head too?

Joker isn’t “cool”, he is’t “bad-ass”, etc. each portrayal of him, big screen, gets worse and more off-putting with each one. Ledger, Leto, Phoenix, that gross cameo, all deformed and scarred in The Batman. Can we put an end to that moronic, played-out trope of the hero needing help and has to go talk to a known maniac/asshole to “get inside the head of another villain/criminal”? Please? The Silence of the Lambs did it well, three decades ago, and so many other movies jumped on that cliche since. Anytime I see a cop or superhero walk into a mental hospital and have some earnest conversation through glass with a deviant scramble-brain, and presented like a sermon from on high, my eyes just roll out of my head, do three flips, mid-air, and bounce around. You don’t go to crazy assholes to help catch other crazy assholes, but that’s Hollywood’s only gear, it seems. So done yo death at this point. It isn’t clever or novel anymore, knock it off.

As much as I appreciate Lady Gaga’s sweet, round butt, I won’t be seeing the sequel. Theater or otherwise. I couldn’t bear a second-dose of all that poser nihilism and “ain’t insanity cool?”

Sorry, but I’d sit through the SW sequel trilogy before I’ll ever like/appreciate Joker. That’s just true. Deranged, off-putting flick full of characters I hoped would all die or go to jail. Even the cops and medical personnel/professionals.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-04-03 at 09:39.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-04-03, 12:36

Speak of the devil...

Joker 2 gets R rating for "strong violence" and "brief full nudity"

I think this is no big shock or revelation. The first one was R, with shootings, an eye-gouging and general mayhem. I never imagined they'd choose to soften the sequel up, since those things didn't seem to hurt the first one's box office.

I will say that I sure hope that "brief full nudity" is Gaga/Harley Quinn and not Phoenix/Joker. I really don't need to see a white dick with green pubes and a red lipstick smiley face drawn on the end. I'm as "whatever" as the next guy, but I do have a limit, after a point.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-04-03, 12:51

Ehh... I doubt I'll ever watch either of those. I started to want to watch Joker, but the reviews didn't really pull me in. More repulsed me actually.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.