User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Font Chat
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-05, 16:45

I think it's used for that casual, handwritten look. But there are all kinds to use. I'm not a big fan, only because it's everywhere. I guess that's the point.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-05, 16:46

I had an official letter of rejection (just for a class I wanted to take) arrive written in Comic.. it was comical.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-10, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I had an official letter of rejection (just for a class I wanted to take) arrive written in Comic.. it was comical.
Ask yourself: Is that a class you really wanted to take?
ShawnJ

2009-11-13, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
If by long articles, you mean by slowing readers down, then sure.

Sans serif fonts are better for faster reading; probably because there is more distinction/distance between letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
[citation needed]
Hey billybobsky,

I think you'll find it surprising to learn that actually isn't true!* Sans-serif fonts are slower to read by about 2.2%. The difference is negligible though, so you can use what you like. There are more serious issues, like using all capital letters in headlines (12-13% average lengthening of reading time), monospaced fonts (4.7% delay), 12 and 14 pt fonts (5-6% delay) (ideally use 10 or 11pt), and 6.5 inch line length for 12 pt font (3% delay) (ideally use 2.75 to 4 inches). I use Century Schoolbook (serif font) in my writing and use as many of the suggestions as the rules allow.

*See Ruth Anne Robbins, Painting with Print: Incorporating Concepts of Typographic and Layout Design into the Text of Legal Writing Documents, 2 JAWLD 108 (2007); citing Miles A.Tinker, Legibility of Print 48 (1964); Donald G. Paterson & Miles A. Tinker, Studies of Typographical Factors Influencing Speed of Reading X. Style of Type Forms, 16 J. Applied Psychol. 605 (Dec. 1932); S.S. Jha & C.N. Daftuar, Legibility of Type Faces, 25 No. 2 J.of Psychol. Research 108, 109 (1981)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-07-27, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
Gimme Comic Sans!

A bookmarklet to, well... you get the idea.
And now, in another excellent example of the Internet coming full circle....

Comic Sans Be Gone.

A Safari 5 extension to remove Comic Sans from all pages you view!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-27, 10:23

What a bunch of mean snobs.

Poor little font...nobody loves it.

Mark my words: within a few years, some ironic hipster types will start to use it in their designs and posters, and it'll be the biggest thing that has ever hit and all the designers and artists will be jumping on it. Kinda like the trucker hat of typography...all it takes is one mop-haired artiste (with funky, I'm-edgier-than-you eyewear) to declare something cool and "in", and all the people around him/her will gladly jump on board and soon it'll be everywhere. Again.

Everything lame is hip again, at some point. And everything we currently think is cool and neat will be laughed at and ridiculed in 5-10 years. That's how it works.

So ease the hell up on Comic Sans, because you're about 4-6 years away from looking like unimaginative goons who couldn't see the forest for the trees, and the train coming down the track.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-07-27 at 10:34.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-07-27, 11:21

Scates, go crawl back into your Naugahyde-lined Living Room Pit!

tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Mark my words: within a few years, some ironic hipster types will start to use it in their designs and posters, and it'll be the biggest thing that has ever hit and all the designers and artists will be jumping on it. Kinda like the trucker hat of typography...all it takes is one mop-haired artiste (with funky, I'm-edgier-than-you eyewear) to declare something cool and "in", and all the people around him/her will gladly jump on board and soon it'll be everywhere. Again.
Come on, we all know that hipsters don't really work--they live off trust funds.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-07-27, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Come on, we all know that hipsters don't really work--they live off trust funds.
Those aren't hipsters - they're Trustifarians.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-27, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Scates, go crawl back into your Naugahyde-lined Living Room Pit!

I will, as soon as I get a refreshing Tab cola from my avocado green refrigerator.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Those aren't hipsters - they're Trustifarians.
I thought that was only when they have dread locks, drive range rovers, and smoke grass (e.g. half the population under 30 of Boulder, CO).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-27, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Everything lame is hip again, at some point. And everything we currently think is cool and neat will be laughed at and ridiculed in 5-10 years.
"Again" implies Comic Sans was actually "cool" to use at some point.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Zing!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-27, 12:26

You know what I mean. Its lameness will elevate it to untold heights...just give it a little time, and in the hands of the right people.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-07-27, 12:29

O HAI

(edit) Looks like this hack only works in Safari, and, for Capella, anyway, not in Camino.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 12:57

I just had to sit through a technical presentation with the slides done in Comic Sans.

After twenty minutes of reading mathematical expressions in that font, I wanted to stick something sharp in my eyes. My vision still hasn’t readjusted...

The worst part? It was done in freaking *LaTeX*! They should know better!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-07-27, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I just had to sit through a technical presentation with the slides done in Comic Sans.
A certain colleague of mine sometimes writes e-mails in Comic Sans and pink. I kid you not.

Presentations in Comic Sans happen scarily often at schools.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 13:31

Quote:
A certain colleague of mine sometimes writes e-mails in Comic Sans and pink. I kid you not.

Fortunately the professors in the computer science department at my school are a bunch of old UNIX curmudgeons still using mutt on the command-line, so everything is just in plain text.

But the department I’m working at this summer... it’s been more than just a few people. I don’t know what it is about this place.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-27, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Exactly. I was going to respond to pscates' post, but you said everything far more succinctly than I would have.

It's not simply that Comics Sans isn't trendy. There are trends in typography (again, just look at Gotham and Myriad!), but Comic Sans exists totally outside of that paradigm because it's simply totally inappropriate for pretty much anything. It hasn't ever been held in high esteem by people familiar with typography. It's like suggesting that dressing in rags will make a comeback as a hot prom fashion -- it won't, and it actually can't, because it was never "in" in the first place.

Quote:
I've noticed this, amongst faculty. I think it's the "we're thinking of the children, see!" factor.

•••

Here's a special font-themed edition of Letters to People or Entitites Who Are Unlikely to Respond.

Dear restaurants:

Using Papyrus on your menu will not make you look upscale.

It will not make your ambience more Italian.

It will not make your wine list more "premium."

It will only make people think of Papyrus, the font. And maybe Avatar.

That is all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-27, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
There are trends in typography (again, just look at Gotham and Myriad!)
Or the sexiest font trend evar, may it one day rise from its grave:

Quote:
Dear restaurants:
t,ftfy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-07-27, 16:29

Quote:
Exactly. I was going to respond to pscates' post, but you said everything far more succinctly than I would have.
Yes, thank you, Brad. You spared me the agony...
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-07-27, 17:17

Man, you people bring nerdiness to a whole new level.

As long as I can read the damn words, I really don't give a crap what font it is.

Who really notices that stuff, and worse, knows the fonts by name just from seeing them....

Take that. Nerds!

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!