Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

WWDC 2007 in June

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WWDC 2007 in June
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-24, 15:15

According to Apple Insider Apple has booked WWDC 07 for June. What is curious to me is that the article makes it sound like this will be the release for Leopard. AI calls it Leopard's "coming out party." June isn't exactly 'Spring 2007' like we have been told. What else could be the reason for holding WWDC two months early?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-24, 15:22

Yes, I've seen June as the preliminary booked date for WWDC '07. Unfortunate, too; I was hoping for early August (for personal reasons).

As for AI's assumption that Leopard will be introduced at WWDC, that's silly. Not only would it be quite delayed; WWDC also simply isn't the right venture to introduce something like this.

I stick to my April 28 estimate. Exactly two years after Tiger.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-24, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
June isn't exactly 'Spring 2007' like we have been told.
Huh?

Last I checked, spring lasts until June 20th.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-24, 15:28

I thought mid-summer was 21st of June

Mind you, in Scotland, summer is usually one day in May.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-24, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
No, that's the beginning of summer.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-24, 15:32

I don't want to bring this thread any further off topic, but All seeing, all knowing, and sometimes wrong Wikipedia disagrees. Not that it matters in any way.

chucker

2007-01-24, 15:43

Well, you wrote "mid-summer", as in "the middle of summer". Not "midsummer".

But like you said, this is moot anyway.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-24, 15:52

June 21 is usually the summer (aka. northern) solstice. In the States, at least, this event marks the beginning of the summer season.

Just the same, the autumnal equinox marks the beginning of autumn, the winter (aka. southern) solstice of winter, and the vernal equinox of spring.

For what it's worth.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-01-24, 16:23

I guess technically June is still "Spring" but when I think of June I think summer. Maybe it's because I live in Florida, and maybe it's because when I was in school summer break always started in May, but that's just me.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-24, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I guess technically June is still "Spring" but when I think of June I think summer. Maybe it's because I live in Florida, and maybe it's because when I was in school summer break always started in May, but that's just me.
Right. I think that's the way most people look at it, too. However, I'm betting Apple is using the calendar to determine how long spring is. (I think it looks like WWDC will be Leopard's release window, too.)

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-24, 16:26

I love threads that start as a possible date for the WWDC and turns in a debate on the beginning of summer.
MagSafe

2007-01-24, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post

Mind you, in Scotland, summer is usually one day in May.
So true ... , although its all changing with global warming.

I reckon Leopard will be released early June ... as Brad says, Spring 2007 is still easily covering well into June. I bet Apple want a good bit of time to see how Vista takes off, or doesn't as the case may be and see if theres any way of marketing it to increase the chance of confused Windows users to switch to OS X. For example...

"Hi, I'm a PC. So, what would you like? Windows Starter Edition, Windows Home "Basic", Windows Home "Premium", Windows Enterprise Edition, Windows Professional Edition, Windows Small Business Edition ... or Windows Ultimate?"

"Hi, I'm a Mac. I run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, tomorrows operating system, today!

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-25, 02:19

Quote:
What else could be the reason for holding WWDC two months early?
Early?

WWDC has traditionally been in May. Only since 2003 has it been held consistently in June. And last year they pushed it back to August since certain presentations were not going to be ready in time.

This is a non-issue, and I would say trying to find a connection between the conference returning to June and Leopard's release is pointless.
JLL

2007-01-25, 05:31

Two years ago WWDC was in June while Tiger was released in April.

I expect to see Leopard in April too.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2007-01-25, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
June 21 is usually the summer (aka. northern) solstice. In the States, at least, this event marks the beginning of the summer season.

Just the same, the autumnal equinox marks the beginning of autumn, the winter (aka. southern) solstice of winter, and the vernal equinox of spring.

For what it's worth.
While I don't disagree about the start of Summer, my initial reaction to the OP was that Leopard would be late if released in June, because June 1 marks the beginning of the summer business quarter. That said, I have no idea when Apple will release it, but some other posters have said April, and that sounds pretty good to me.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-26, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolToddHunter View Post
While I don't disagree about the start of Summer, my initial reaction to the OP was that Leopard would be late if released in June, because June 1 marks the beginning of the summer business quarter. That said, I have no idea when Apple will release it, but some other posters have said April, and that sounds pretty good to me.
I don't think June 1 marks the beginning of any fiscal quarter, and definitely not Apple's (their fiscal year starts on April 1, so June is still Q1).

If a fiscal year starts on January 1, June would be the end of Q2. It wouldn't be the beginning of a fiscal quarter unless they started their fiscal year in December or March or some weird shit.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-26, 03:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I don't think June 1 marks the beginning of any fiscal quarter, and definitely not Apple's (their fiscal year starts on April 1, so June is still Q1).

If a fiscal year starts on January 1, June would be the end of Q2. It wouldn't be the beginning of a fiscal quarter unless they started their fiscal year in December or March or some weird shit.
read up
Quote:
Such fiscal years are typically numbered using a calendar year and quarter thereof. A fiscal quarter is 3 months (1/4 of a year). For example, the United States government fiscal year for 2007 ("FY07", sometimes written "FY06–07") is as follows:
1st Quarter: October 1, 2006 – December 31, 2006
2nd Quarter: January 1, 2007 – March 31, 2007
3rd Quarter: April 1, 2007 – June 30, 2007
4th Quarter: July 1, 2007 – September 30, 2007
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-26, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
read up
Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I said. Apple's fiscal year starts on April 1, therefore there's no possible way their second quarter can start two months later, on June 1.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-26, 08:08

Quote:
Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I said. Apple's fiscal year starts on April 1, therefore there's no possible way their second quarter can start two months later, on June 1.
Then why are the results they just released their first quarter results for FY07? According to this post, their FY hasn't started yet. According to Apple, though, they're already through Q1.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/01/17results.html

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
JLL

2007-01-26, 09:13

Quote:
Read the post:

1st Quarter: October 1, 2006 – December 31, 2006
chucker

2007-01-26, 10:22

So Roboman made a mistake. Big deal. His point stands anyway: no quarter begins in June.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2007-01-26, 10:39

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I was way out to lunch there.