AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

The Official Paper Mac™ Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Official Paper Mac™ Thread
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-09-10, 22:12

So, I dropped by Border's today, and I was looking through The Cult of Mac. Yes, Scates' mockups are in there, but what caught my fancy also was the notion that one could create a Macintosh out of paper, and fold it in such a way that it is a miniature, 3-d model of a Macintosh.

This idea is totally new to me, and I'm still amazed that I could potentially create the likeness of various Macintoshes in my own home, with mere paper models. So I googled for these Paper Mac cutouts, and found surprisingly few relevant sites. A half hour of searching, and all I've found are a couple of paper iPods and a very poor rendition of an iMac Bondi. Not the very cool Mac Classic cutout featured in The Cult of Mac.

So, I'm sure some of you geeks have dozens of paper cutout images on your hard disks. I think that the AN community would be very grateful if some paper cutout images could be posted here.

Thanks much in advance!

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-09-10 at 22:25.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-09-10, 22:59

I think it would be pretty hilarious to make a working paper mac, have it heat up to the point where the paper catches fire and burns down your house, killing your dog and seriously wounding your unborn child. Also, when the fire department shows up one of them will accidentally chop down a cherry tree outside of your house, and he'll say "sorry, it was an AX-ident"

Anyway... I wouldn't mind having some paper mock-ups of various mac related doodads, only at like 1/4" actual size.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-09-10, 23:45

Well, here's my first Paper Mac...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-11, 00:39

Does plastic count? P-P-P-PowerBook!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-09-11, 01:29

Me, I have a paper Mac Plus sitting on top of my monitor. I also have a Mac SE lying around somewhere.

Here's the link to the biggest paper Mac site, but it seems to be dead at the moment. If/when it comes back up, a lot of the links are still dead, but most of the second page still works.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-11, 05:44

About a week ago my girlfriend organised an "Origami iPod pre-party event" at our club, 'Catena', intended for all unfortunate enough not to own an iPod (or other mp3-player) yet.

She provided the materials and instructions and not before long several people were actually folding, glueing and painting their paper iPods.

Folding @ Catena:

Some of the results:

Edit: grrr.. I am not allowed to write iPod without a capital P, so links don't work... I will make it work, though..

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/

Last edited by julesstoop : 2005-09-11 at 10:19.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-09-11, 11:00

Origamac!
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-09-11, 17:16

Actually, I found a couple of Paper Mac PDFs lying around on my hard drive. (Thanks, Spotlight!) Here they are:

Color Classic

Mac Plus
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-09-11, 20:25

Thanks man!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-12, 01:51

Not that I'm going to make one - but they're really cool, in a geeky sort of way.

Thanks BlueRabbit!