Keynote, how will you watch yours ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Keynote, how will you watch yours ?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-01-08, 19:57

I think I'm going to go down to the local Apple mini store, park myself on an iMac, and immediately demand the new products as the keynote unfolds.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 20:00

Yeah, that'll make you a popular guy!

"Hey, I want someone to bring me out that new iBook...and I don't wanna hear any crap about how you don't what I'm talking about, because your boss just now announced it and said they're available IMMEDIATELY...so go get me one! And a pack of iPod socks too, while you're at it!"

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-01-08, 20:03

Yeah. I already made them pretty jumpy earlier this weekend when I started asking them about the missing iBooks and Mac minis that were normally on display.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 20:04

Are you being serious? Were the iBooks and Mac minis truly removed, or are you just kidding around?

Because if you're serious, that's pretty much a CONFIRMED!!!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-01-08, 20:07

They didn't have any on display, and the spaces they originally occupied were replaced with iMacs. The powerbooks were still there.

The clerks said that they were still out of stock from the holiday season.

But we all know better, don't we...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 20:09

Ooooh...very interesting.

I'll take that as a legit sign.

Mac minis, iBooks on Tuesday! No PowerBooks.
insaneboy

2006-01-08, 22:27

I really need to work harder on convincing my boss that I need to attend macworld. I almost had him this year, hopefully I'll be there in '07...
mickey.herman

2006-01-08, 22:48

I get all my coverage from trusty macteens.com, it is great, if you are a teen!

Oh, and about the minis and iBooks not on display, we will soon here about many people fired because of that, we all know how upset Steve gets at one little slip up.
thebulwer

2006-01-09, 00:41

I also plan on waiting to watch the keynote before the suprises are spoiled! Finally updating from the G4 Cube to a (hopefully) new iBook. Does anyone know how long after the keynote ends it usually takes for Apple to post the video? Thanks.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 01:56

They usually get the video online by early afternoon, I believe. I seem to recall a time where they didn't get the video up until evening, but that was a while ago.
jattila4

2006-01-09, 02:57

Well, I live in Oregon. So part way durring my first block class at school I'll head to one of the G4 iMacs in the back of the room and see if Apple.com is updated. If not, then I'll check again at lunch.
powerbook911

2006-01-09, 02:58

I wouldn't wait, for the video to see what happens because the video is usually crappy going off and on because so many people are trying to access it, at least for the first 12 hours or so.

I bring up like 3 IRC rooms, AIM rooms, etc, and there is always lots of reports in those. It can be pretty exciting.

*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ - 1.25GB RAM 80g Hard Drive, Superdrive
*iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
*Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*60g ipod w/Video, Airport Express, .mac sub, iPod shuffle
meaningless

2006-01-09, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I'll be watching it from the floor of MacWorld Expo

Anyone else going?
Me! This'll be my first Macworld expo. Some have advised me to get in line by 5 a.m. but I think that the soonest I can get there is by 6.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-09, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaningless
Me! This'll be my first Macworld expo. Some have advised me to get in line by 5 a.m. but I think that the soonest I can get there is by 6.
I think that's a bit excessive, but I've never been to the actual keynote, so maybe it's appropriate. I plan on getting there when the doors to the general area open at 10 and trying to watch the last half of the keynote through a busy door like I did the last time I was there (2000?).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-01-09, 11:25

i'm gonna reload a webcast all the time while having a decent meal (afternoon for me, germany). afterwards i'm trying to get that quicktime stream going IMMEDIATELY!!!

"come on steve, make me happy. don't hesitate. make me happy. go. now. run. make me happy!!!"
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 12:07

I'll at macrumors or themacobserver madly refreshing the page every two seconds (even though they sya the page will automatically reload every minute and they say refreshing too often will kill their server).

I also won't get any work done so I should stop posting today to make up for tomorrow.

I'll watch the keynote whenever they throw it up on iTunes (which they will this year).
AppleCello

2006-01-09, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I think that's a bit excessive, but I've never been to the actual keynote, so maybe it's appropriate. I plan on getting there when the doors to the general area open at 10 and trying to watch the last half of the keynote through a busy door like I did the last time I was there (2000?).
I went to the Keynote at Apple Expo Paris in September 2003. I got in line at about 6:30 and by 7am, the line was enormous. If I hadn't gotten there at that time, i may not have gotten in. I did have a really incredible seat, though. Get there as early as possible, bring your iPod and a cup of coffee while you wait and enjoy the atmosphere!
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 13:15

I will have my arms crossed sitting at my desk where I work and I'll be rocking forward and back like a crack addict that hasn't had a fix in a really long time. I will loose my train of thought every 5 seconds and try not to bite the heads of students off that can't read the room numbers listed right in front of them. IM and IRC are out of the question, but I will have tabbed every live feed I can find.

Mile 1
Roland

2006-01-09, 16:47

Could somebody tell me at what time the keynote will start and be online (apporx.) so I can start up the time converter

cheers
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-09, 16:51

I really, really wish Apple broadcast their keynotes via satellite like they used to.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-09, 17:05

Doesn't really bother me because I'd never get a good connection, and it would be stuttering and sputtering and every third-fourth word would drop out.

Kinda like watching some hip-hop video, where every other word is something that has to be muted/censored.

"I might know what song this is if I could actually hear more than half of it!"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-09, 17:16

Weren't you used to be able to go to Apple Stores, though, and watch them in the "theatre"? That'd be the way to go. Watching the keynote on a big screen, surrounded by other Mac fans - heck, even store reps curious as to what the hell they'd be selling that year.

And I'd still get a better connection with satellite than I would with my sucky dialup. My parents still don't think broadband is worth it, despite the fact that I can't get 56k on my iMac (isn't the "i" supposed to stand for something?). My family is moving this summer, and they keep on saying that they don't want to bother getting DSL or anything so close to a move - but the move isn't that close. They should have gotten DSL months ago, for crying out loud.

It just makes me mad, because my dad promised that when I came back to live with him, we'd move into a nicer house and we'd have broadband. They are moving - after I move off to college anyway, so the nice house does squat for me - and they're not even getting DSL while I'm here, because they're moving "so incredibly soon" it's apparently not worth the phone call.

*Sigh...*

But wow, that was off-topic. I digress...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-09, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Could somebody tell me at what time the keynote will start and be online (apporx.) so I can start up the time converter

cheers
9AM PST.
trans3062

2006-01-09, 17:55

Leo and the boys over at 'This Week in Tech' (TWIT) will be doing their podcast from MacWorld this week. They also do video of the broadcast so that may be a good place to "see" some of the new products.

Not sure when they will release it.

http://thisweekintech.com/
Chris Turnbull

2006-01-09, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans3062
Leo and the boys over at 'This Week in Tech' (TWIT) will be doing their podcast from MacWorld this week. They also do video of the broadcast so that may be a good place to "see" some of the new products.

Didn't Leo say that Woz might join them for the podcast? Could be interesting to see what he thinks. even if he doesn't join them the TwiTcast should be good.

i'd recommend anyone who hasn't heard the TWiT gang before to subscribe via iTunes. these guys rule!

Standing at the crossroads of morality, watching Penn & Teller.
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2006-01-09, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans3062

TWIT is always released midnight PST Sunday. As in, long after we've digested everything that happens tomorrow.
powerbook911

2006-01-10, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
TWIT is always released midnight PST Sunday. As in, long after we've digested everything that happens tomorrow.
You must have missed the last few weeks, when they talked about how they will have a special Tuesday show! It should be good. Special edition.
wecallitfall

2006-01-10, 07:09

my plan for catching up with what goes down today as is as follows:

4pm GMT/8am MWSF; get home - done look on internet
6pm GMT/10am MWSF; resist huge temptation to check up on rumour sites for updates mid show in order to keep element of surprise, go to work
9.30pm GMT/1.30pm MWSF; get home from work head straight to apple.com/uk and hope and pray my new ibook has been announced
spend rest of night crawling TS, AI, AN, MacRumours, Spymac, apple.com

its going to be good
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 11:20

Well, I've got three sites promising live coverage. MDN's site has already started stuttering. And we still don't know if Apple's blocked wi-fi/cell phones during the keynote like at the last being Apple event.
SledgeHammer

2006-01-10, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If you want to skip all the spoiler headlines, just create a bookmark to this address:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/
Earlier, that address gave me a 404, now it is the stream of the October "One more thing..." event. I know it's early yet. I've gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed that they're not doing the live webcast. I didn't realize they hadn't for the last few events, since I wasn't around to watch them live, I just assumed they had been live and watched the stream later. Oh well...mostly I hope they get it up in time for me to watch it before I have to go to work at 4. If it's not, I'll have to wait till tomorrow. I really would like to see the keynote before I find out what was announced. It's always more fun that way.