Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New Intel iMac issues?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Intel iMac issues?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
surjones

2006-03-01, 16:42

Has anyone had some issues with their iMac Intels? Here at CompUSA I have had about 8 of them a week on our shelves here in the tech. center.

Man it hurts me, when sales people bring customers back to my tech center and tell I tell people how great our apple machines are, and then I see them and the salesperson bring the unit back here for us to fix, or worse RETURN saying "They will never buy an apple again."

P.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-01, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones
Has anyone had some issues with their iMac Intels? Here at CompUSA I have had about 8 of them a week on our shelves here in the tech. center.

Man it hurts me, when sales people bring customers back to my tech center and tell I tell people how great our apple machines are, and then I see them and the salesperson bring the unit back here for us to fix, or worse RETURN saying "They will never buy an apple again."

P.
What has been wrong with them?

I've had issues but 10.4.5 fixed a lot of them (mostly sleep related)
surjones

2006-03-01, 16:52

Power issues, #1 issue: System shuts itself off and you can't boot it back up for about 30 mins. #2 Out of box, you push the power button and you get 3 beeps, which means it is a ram issue, System cant find any useable ram. Just a couple.

Last edited by surjones : 2006-03-01 at 17:13.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-03-01, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones
Power issues, #1 issue: System shuts itself off and you can't boot it back up for about 30 mins. #2 Out of box, you push the power button and you get 3 beeps, which means it is a ram issue, System cant find any useable ram. Just a couple.

hm. interesting. I haven't read any other reports of problems such as those.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-01, 17:33

I think the old saying apply here-

The mechanic sees 99% of 0.001% failure.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-01, 18:10

No problems here either. My iMac's been running strong for nearly 3 weeks. It's on constantly, too.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-01, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I think the old saying apply here-

The mechanic sees 99% of 0.001% failure.
Precisely. iMac with the G5 Rev C and the Core Duo Rev A issues are few and far between, and some have since been fixed through software updates.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-03-01, 19:40

edited thread title and moved to Apple Products
Enki

2006-03-02, 00:36

A cross post from a Genuis Bar thread: http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...d=1#post310393

It's the 5 cent plastic ring on the power cord! Mine did this twice. I checked the Apple support boards and it referenced this: iMac G5: Loose power cord could cause power loss No problems since!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-03-02, 18:06

I just got a dual core iMac today. When it came back from sleep once the top of the screen was filled with "Yar's Revenge" type blocks that were slivers of the image projecting from the video camera... it was very weird. The mouse was working weird but I think that may have to do with the fact that the table I'm on has a completely white melamine surface. The Wacom works fine. No power issues here (yet). Haven't installed Photoshop yet, dreading the slow-downs but am wondering if I'm going from a G4 powerbook to a dual-core iMac if the performance decrease will be as noticeable as it is between the dual core and the G5 iMac (but that's another topic!!). Keep posting weird stuff here.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-02, 19:26

I'll add this to my list of reasons never to buy a Rev. A Apple machine ever again.
Enki

2006-03-02, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I'll add this to my list of reasons never to buy a Rev. A Apple machine ever again.
The curse of the rev a is overstated. I've done the:

First PowerBook series PB170 with the newfangled active matrix screen
First Upgradeable Color PB, PB540c Blackbird and then upgraded it with a PPC!
First Quadra pizza box
First Wallstreet PB series a 266
Original iMac
First DP machine DP500
First Intel Mac iMac Duo Core (OK I separated the plastic ring on the power cable to stop the blackouts. Wow, that took all of about 3 minutes of Google and the Apple Support boards to fix.)

None had any real issues until they reached the rode hard and put away wet stages. If the rev a crap was true I should have seen several lemons.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-02, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
I just got a dual core iMac today. When it came back from sleep once the top of the screen was filled with "Yar's Revenge" type blocks that were slivers of the image projecting from the video camera... it was very weird. The mouse was working weird but I think that may have to do with the fact that the table I'm on has a completely white melamine surface. The Wacom works fine. No power issues here (yet). Haven't installed Photoshop yet, dreading the slow-downs but am wondering if I'm going from a G4 powerbook to a dual-core iMac if the performance decrease will be as noticeable as it is between the dual core and the G5 iMac (but that's another topic!!). Keep posting weird stuff here.
I can tell you from experience that even in Rosetta, the Core Duo iMac trounces a G4 powerbook with Photoshop. Start time is SLOW but it's started and you're doing your work, you'll not even notice.
skdive29

2006-03-06, 13:08

Hey yea mi imac intel runs great except for itunes shuts down alot (i have over 40 GB of music) i would definatley recamend the new imac intel for anyone who is looking into the macs. also the front row is prettey cool also. as others were saying i never shut mine down and iruns problem free!

Peace!
Grammar Police

2006-03-07, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdive29
Hey yea mi imac intel runs great except for itunes shuts down alot (i have over 40 GB of music) i would definatley recamend the new imac intel for anyone who is looking into the macs. also the front row is prettey cool also. as others were saying i never shut mine down and iruns problem free!

Peace!
If you'd like to be taken seriously in these forum discussions, please extend the courtesy of taking a few moments to check your spelling and grammar and form a coherent message before posting. Messages like this are difficult to read and cause some members unnecessary frustration. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum; you have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-07, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police
If you'd like to be taken seriously in these forum discussions, please extend the courtesy of taking a few moments to check your spelling and grammar and form a coherent message before posting. Messages like this are difficult to read and cause some members unnecessary frustration. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum; you have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Can I get an AMEN?!?!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-07, 00:38

Amen!
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-03-07, 00:40

Dammit, that's what I was going to say in the Apple Phone post in Spec&Rumors, but FFL got to it first.
admactanium

2006-03-07, 03:39

buddy of mine has a new intel mac mini and he says it freezes up on him after a couple hours. i haven't gotten more details from him, but my brother's mbp seems to be fine.
reggie

2006-03-07, 22:14

I've got 4 intel macs, including an mbp that arrived yesterday. I had one freeze up of the 20" desktops within a day or two of setup freeze up and not power back up so I pulled the power and all external connections and it came right back up. No issues since. My only grip right now is the the mbp is running a little hot - but no hotter than my old 17" G4. I had my first full day with MBP today at work plugged in with dual monitor. It totally rocks.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-03-07, 22:33

My iMac Duo Core 2GHz continues to have problems here and there. I have been getting cases where everything becomes unresponsive and no clicks or keys are registered. The cursor moves, apps continue to update, but no user interaction.

I've also had problems with sleep that continue but are less frequent since the last update.

I also have some slight video problems when playing fullscreen video through PPC applications.
tomp6708

2006-03-07, 22:33

I got my Intel CoreDuo mini yesterday and it has 2 problems out of the box. 1) It is loud as hell. Much louder than my powerbook with the fan running. The fan runs non-stop on full blast from start up. 2) The Airport card seems to not work at all. Apple Care thought it was a loose connection and Apple store tech tried to fix by poking around inside. Only worked for about 10 min then no WiFi again. Going back to apple sore for try #3 Thursday. I hope I can get a replacement because this one seems to be a lemon. Any other users with very loud minis?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-03-08, 11:23

Only freeze case I've had is when I try to change the settings on my iPod, which was set to automatically update from another computer. And even then, only iTunes freezes. The thing seems perfect to me.
Dave_D

2006-03-08, 12:06

New ICBM'er here as well.

So far the only issues I can tell is that sometimes the system will be unresponsive, but I think it's some of the non-universal apps that are causing it.

If I give it enough room, it will be responsive again. I can't wait for the upgrade RAM to arrive so I can confidently try Photoshop on it.

However, I do see that the current version of OS X & the iLife apps aren't as optimized for intel yet because I can hardly tell the difference between this iMac and the previous iMac G5 I was using.

If it weren't for the fact that I can run 1080i movie trailers at 24fps, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in performance between the iMac and iMac G5.

I also feel a bit better that this iMac never seems to hit 100% processor load no matter what I throw at it. On the iMac G5, I could regularly get the system chugging at 100% processor load.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-03-08, 19:32

Hmm, i think i will wait for a rev B or C till i get my Intel
Grip

2006-03-12, 15:21

I've had my 20" Intel iMac for about 3 1/2 weeks and no problems until yesterday.

I tried using iChat AV within my own home network and wasn't able to display the 20" Intel iMac's video during chat. In other words, the 20" Intel iMac could see others, but couldn't display it's own user's video and others on the network couldn't see the 20" Intel iMac's user. Audio did work, however.

PPC to PPC iChat AV worked normally.

I'm pretty sure it is a software issue because iChat AV on the 20" Intel iMac works perfectly to locations outside my network, so perhaps this is temporary.

Anyone here experience the same thing? Anyone here have the means to replicate this situation and compare notes?
canyon_Carver

2006-03-21, 11:43

I had a lock-up when I was doing some heavy animation in C4DXL v9.1 but I have not had another lock up since
the 10.4.5 update.

One strange thing has happened-- Safari has stopped recognizing my internet connection. Mail accesses it fine, Firefox fine...but Safari just stopped last weekend.

I ran the Disk Utility and it found some illegal names in the directory...fixed everything, and verified...still Safari doesn't want to deal with the connection. I ran the Network Diagonstics and it green lights all stages--no problem.

That is minor issue, Firefox works fine-- and its only a web browser so its really no big deal.

Other than that issue, I have had no trouble. Startup sound to Active Desktop still ranges around 27 seconds, every application runs great--Waiting for FCP6 Studio at NAB-- Screen is brillant...the new super-mouse is a bit odd in its tracking, but that may be due to the clean white tabletop- no mouse pad.

I only have 1 Gb of Ram installed and will be saving up for another GB soon-- but I am also trying to save up for car service, kendo-bogu and diapers....so.....it may be a while-- maybe for FCP6.
DK-Lach

2006-03-22, 06:00

Well so much for the "A Mac never crashs"-claim...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-03-22, 11:38

Maybe your store got a bad batch of them, or they were damaged in shipping.
canyon_Carver

2006-03-22, 14:49

I don't think a Mac-Crash is comparible to a PC Crash...

a Lock up is easily solved.

My Safari Issue was my ISP dialup accelerator....reinstalled and working fine..it wasn't a Mac Issue.