Superman Returns

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Superman Returns
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-28, 00:20

Saw it.

It was okay but nothing to gush about. A few heart string tugs but I didn't feel any emotional spikes that moved me in any significant way. I *did* grin a couple of times and a few times I leaned back in my seat and *pushed* like I was lifting something, but it didn't *take* me anywhere really, truly special.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 00:42

Ha...you beat me to the punch! I just got back from seeing it myself.

Just got back. They were actually having 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 11:30 and midnight showings at the Rave. I caught the 10:30 one.

It's actually pretty good. I liked it as much as I did "Batman Begins" last year, I guess. It reminded me of those recent Spider-Man movies (which I think are pretty well done)...it's a nice mix of action, drama, romance and humor, all blended together nicely and well-written. But it's not campy or played for laughs and there wasn't really any groan-inducing moments.

In fact, I'd like to see it again (maybe a weekend matinee), with a "normal" audience. Tonight was the hardcore, geek brigade. I think I'd enjoy it more with families, more adults, etc. The audience tonight was VERY teen- and twentysomething-heavy.

This guy did a really nice job, considering it's his first big role. Very Christopher Reeve in places (voice and certain mannerisms, so it was comfortable and nice to see). And they borrowed quite heavily from the original 1978 Reeve one, including the main title them, the opening credits lettering/animation, footage of Brando and quite a few verbal or visual elements that alluded to the '78 Reeve movie.

Yes, the capabilities of modern CGI and digital FX REALLY shine here. When he flies, he's FLYING. A fluidity and movement you simply can't capture hanging someone from some wires. The camera swoops around him, the wind is blowing his cape and hair back, the sun is reflecting and sparkling off his cape and it just looks incredibly realistic. Like they went up into the air 35,000 feet and dangled the actor out of an airplane and filmed it.

Definitely worth a viewing. Some good "yeah, that's the man right there!" moments. Some good chuckles. And you might even tear up a time or two. I give it a solid 7.5 out of 10. A tad long, but not painfully so. It moved along pretty well.

Kevin Spacey was good, as always. An enjoyable popcorn flick, and just nice to see this character back on the big screen again.

Oh, and at the end, the credits said "Dedicated with love and respect to Christopher and Dana Reeve", which I thought was kinda cool. The audience applauded that.

Makes sense, really. For everyone between 25-45, that was "our" Superman.

I was hoping they'd acknowledge that in some way, so it was nice to see that they did.

But, like drew, I wasn't completely floored or moved in any strong way. It certainly didn't suck, but I was prepared for a rush and a throat lump or two that, surprisingly, never really came.

But I thought Brandon Routh, for his first major outing, did a really nice job. He just played it even and low-key. When in Clark mode, he had quite a few Reeve mannerisms, and his voice, at times, was eerily close to Reeve's (both in his Clark nervous squeak and in the deeper, more assured "Superman voice".

Go see it. You'll be entertained, for sure.

And yes...it's better than "King Kong".

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-06-28, 01:52

I'm just waiting until the weekend to see it in Imax 3D. Although it's only 20 minutes of 3D, it should be cool.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 08:20

After sleeping on it some, I've got a bit more to discuss this morning. I was too sleepy to get into it last night.

To me, the one "weak link" in the movie is Lois Lane, or, rather, her portrayal by this Kate Bosworth person. Probably the most cold-fish, icy and unlikable depiction of a woman on the big screen that I've ever seen. I honestly don't know what Superman/Clark saw in her. Humorless, smug and, frankly, quite the "b" word.

She doesn't smile ONCE. And she nags/bitches at Superman, not even showing appreciation for the several times he saves her butt. Instead, she acts annoyed at the whole idea!

Beyond all that, just a bland, physically unappealing actress. Has one of those Christina Ricci "baby heads" (a forehead that is bigger than a car's windshield) that makes her look, at best, 17 (and like she should be on "The O.C." or "One Tree Hill", instead of a "seasoned, respected journalist".

There wasn't that "Lois Lane snap". No witty verbal sparring or comic timing that we got from Margot Kidder or even Teri Hatcher on that TV show.

In fact, about halfway through it suddenly dawned on me what a casting mistake they'd made: if it were in MY hands, I would've flip-flopped Bosworth and Parker Posey! Posey, IMO, would've made a wonderful Lois Lane. In this movie, she's Luthor's sidekick, but she's a bit saucy and strongheaded at times...everything Bosworth's Lois WASN'T.

In fact, this Lois Lane came off as one of those annoying reality show drama queen types. Just a real "my life is so serious, I can't manage a smile" pain-in-the-ass.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
If I'm Superman, I let that plane crash with her on it.

That character and a couple of slow, draggy moments are my only two gripes (but since she's basically in the entire thing, it's a fairly major gripe, I suppose.

Anyway, see what you think when you see the movie. Does she strike you as anything worth fighting/agonizing over?

As good of a job Routh did at the whole Clark/Superman thing (and making us fondly recall Reeve at times), Bosworth does the complete opposite and makes us truly miss Kidder. Or even Hatcher.

I'll give her one thing: she has sexy feet with dark painted toenails (a personal favorite of mine).

That's about it. But they don't give awards for nail polish, do they?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-28, 08:51

I love Paul's movie reviews.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 09:27

Well then, you'll appreciate some more...

The THIRD thing I wanted to discuss a bit was the religious symbolism that struck me in about 5-6 places.

I'll put it in spoiler tags, just to be safe...click and read at your own discretion:

1. Twice in the movie, via Brando(!) voiceover, you hear him talking about how he sent us his "only son", and a few other phrases that was very Biblical. Here to save us, sent as a "savior" even if we think we don't need one, etc. Lois has quite a "non-believer" we don't need Superman attitude at the beginning of the movie.

2. In a couple of scenes, Superman is suspended in space "watching over the world"...eyes closed, yet hearing EVERYTHING. When he hears trouble/danger, off he goes to help. A serene, all-seeing/all-knowing being, so to speak.

3. Luthor stabs Superman in the right side with a Kryptonite spike/dagger, like the spear stuck into Jesus' side as he was on the cross.

4. After the broken tip is removed later, he flies high into the sky, up above the clouds to "soak in the yellow sun" to regain his power. The way it's shot - golden, fuzzy sunlight, him floating in the air, arms outstretched, the accompanying majestic music, etc. - had a poweful, religious vibe to it. Like he's in heaven or in the presence of God or something. Hard to explain, but you'll see it.

5. After hurling a giant rock formation into space (and being severely injured because of the Kryptonite content of the rock), he floats through space, back toward earth, in a really blatant crucifixion pose: legs down, both arms stretched out horizontally, head weak and bobbing with a pained look on his face. I think Mel Gibson directed this sequence.

6. In the hospital (kinda funny if you think about it...Superman hooked up to Earth medical gear) after the above, thousands of folks are gathered outside the hospital, keeping vigil. One brief shot is his mother from the farm who has obviously come to Metropolis. Only she can't go in as "Clark's mother" without ruining his identity thing. So she's simply among the masses. It was similar to that scene in "Passion of the Christ", where Mary is watching her Son on the cross. The sadness and helplessness she must feel for him. A genuinely moving moment, actually.

7. Without warning, Superman suddenly recovers (offscreen). This is discovered by nurses who walk into his room to see an empty bed, with the sheets pulled back and a slight impression where his body was in the bed. The window to his room is left open (like that rock in front of the tomb was moved away), where he obviously "flew away" Resurrection?

I may be way off and imagining things, but I could tell by a few murmurs or gasps in the theater that some of the above scenes struck others that way too.

For the record, I'm NOT complaining or griping at all. I'm not offended and it doesn't make for a "worse movie" by any stretch (I'm not one who freaks out on this kind of stuff, like some of you).

Just seems to be present. Whether it's deliberate or not, I have no idea. But it's interesting to note.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-06-28 at 09:36.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-28, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
me too, he convinced me to see Cars and that was a decision I am glad I made! Keep 'em up!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-28, 10:06

Superman is seriously the dumbest superhero ever. Totally uncreative in every way. What can he do?

1. He's invincible
2. He has unlimited strength
3. He can fly
4. He has eye lasers
5. Apparently he has the ability to see and hear anything, anywhere in the world
6. He doesn't need to breathe air
7. His only weakness is a material from a planet that doesn't exist anymore
8. His name is "Superman."
9+. He probably has a bunch of other powers so cheap I wasn't even able to think of them.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 10:10

Makes for a pretty righteous superhero, in my book. He's the ultimate, I suppose. What are you gonna do? Everything springs from him. He's the King Daddy (not four dipshits in blue suits who turn into a rock, fire, etc.).
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-06-28, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Same. There are two people I pay attention to when I deciding to see a movie or not. Paul and my local paper guy Chris Hewitt.

Looks like I'll be going to see it this afternoon.

And All That Could Have Been
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-28, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Superman is seriously the dumbest superhero ever. Totally uncreative in every way. What can he do?

*snip*
.... and here comes the life of the party with his powerful negative rays. Right on cue!

Fucking Superman, I bet he even orders RAM from Apple, eh Luca?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-28, 10:19

Good observations Paul, I didn't connect them like you have but do agree with how all of them seemed to resonate. The script was entirely devoted to exploring the godlike nature of Superman/Kent, always one of the most interesting explorations of the character.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-28, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
.... and here comes the life of the party with his powerful negative rays. Right on cue!

Fucking Superman, I bet he even orders RAM from Apple, eh Luca?

LOL, what I mean to say is it's always frustrating watching Superman battle villains because it seems like any drama has to be manufactured by the people in charge of making the movie. There aren't many situations that would actually be challenging to Superman. Now Batman, on the other hand, is a total badass because, even though he has NO magical powers of any kind, he still kicks righteous ass. Moreover, there is always the possibility that he could be killed at some point.

Oh and Superman doesn't need to order RAM. His brain is more powerful than any computer ever made.

If people were giving the movie better overall reviews I'd probably go see it anyway, but I'm not sure now. It doesn't sound that great. I am waiting for the new Pirates Of The Caribbean movie myself.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-28, 10:30

OK, that makes me wonder... how in the hell did Batman beat up Superman? 709 said in another thread that he kicks the shit out of him in Frank Miller's Batman series.

WTF? Did he have a hunk of Kryptonite in his bat belt?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-28, 10:36

You should read it Mur, it's a great graphic novel.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 10:41

He had one of those big slip-on "Hulk" glove thingies, with some Kryptonite in it I think. He pounded Superman. And I think he hooked himself up to the city's power grid for more juice. It's been a long while, but it was something like that.

Technology-assisted, basically.

It definitely wasn't pure "hand-to-hand"...Batman needed help, otherwise Superman would've just burned his Bat Pecker off with his heat vision and that would've been the end of it.

I remember the first time I read "The Dark Knight Returns". I'd never seen/read anything like it. I darn near cried in places. Really good stuff, if you don't mind having your ideas of lifetimes heroes and idols turned on its head!

He made a sequel, but it was nowhere as gripping as the original.

I always wished they'd make THAT into a movie. It was truly sinister and grim, but entertaining as could be!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-28, 10:48

This is why Batman is awesome.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 10:55

Because he cusses?

"Batman, the robbers are getting away!"

"Drop the guns, shitheads. And when you see me reach for this belt, you know that's your ass. I ain't bullshittin' either, bitches. I'm...Batman, dammit!"

Oooo...terror!
funduk

2006-06-28, 11:00

2 cents, if I may.

1. I thought the original Lois in the '78/etc movies was horrible too! Lois Lane IS a huge 'b word' as you say! That's the whole point, no one is quite sure why the hell Clark cares about her! Similar to the whole Lana Lang thing on Smallville, she's a total moron and rude and irrational.

2. "Superman is seriously the dumbest superhero ever." - There's LOTS of back story. He gets his powers from the radiation of our yellow sun, as opposed to his home (destroyed) planet which has a red sun, etc. There's lots of stuff in that happens when he's young when he's trying to figure out how to use his powers and control them and so on. He finds out about where he's from and all that... It's deeper than you think. His weaknesses are yellow-sun-radiated-meteor rocks that are pieces of his home planet and his emotions, since he's constantly keeping 80% of himself a secret to everyone around him. I think you should give him another chance!

Never liked batman, everything he does seems to orchestrated, especially in the movies. He has a 'tool' on his belt for everything. Every vehicle has the convenient ability to be used anywhere (plane crashed into water? no problem it's also a boat!!!, car can't continue for some reason? no problem, it's also a motorcycle!!!). Plus his back story is IMHO pretty contrived. His parents were killed by some guy, yea and? Lots of people's parents are killed in crime heavy areas (like gotham! geez talk about crime central!) so he becomes a 'dark night' and builds a massive bat cave? He's just got too much time and money on his hands.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 11:02

Well, that's one way to look at it all, I suppose.

Margot Kidder's Lois was a handful at times. But she laughed, smiled, had a sense of humor, was saucy and playful and seemed to appreciate and respect Superman (and even Clark, in some weird way).

This new one is just mean and snotty, all the way through. To everyone. Clark, Superman, NASA officials, Perry White.

Also, another favorite moment from the movie:
when Lois comes back from the roof of the Daily Planet and into the room where Jimmy Olson, her boyfriend, son and Clark are all eating burritos. The look on Clark's face, the food hanging from his mouth and just his general dork vibe was endearing and funny (especially considering what he was doing just minutes beforehand...that instant "switchback" to plain ol' Clark is nicely done there). Everyone laughed at that scene, for the messy schmo he was coming across as (when you know good and well he's anything but).

Little moments like that were really nice, and made Routh's portrayal feel right and good. I think he was better than Spacey, truth be told. Spacey almost played a variation on his character from "Se7en"...coldly ironic, a bit teasing/baiting and a bit of a smart-ass. But Routh had to straddle a perfect line AND play on something that everyone has an opinion about.

It's his movie, IMO. And I was pretty impressed! I'm hoping a sequel allows him to do more of that, on a larger scale (and to battle a villain a bit more sinister and menacing). I'm hoping the sequel to this was as satisfying a progression from Bryan Singer's first X-Men movie to the MUCH better second one (one of those handfuls of films where the sequel outdoes the original). This one certainly has the potential to follow that same path, and actually be better and more enjoyable.

I read that all the principal actors have signed on for three films.

I'm looking forward to "Superman Returns Again" (or whatever they call it).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-06-28 at 11:15.
¡Damned!

2006-06-28, 11:03

Well, if this whole Superman movie thing plays out and they decide to do some sequels, I'd like to see them do one on the 'final' battle with Doomsday. That would rock.

In other news, Supergirl (in all her various incarnations) is HOT:

(left to right): Original Kara Zor-El, Matrix, Kara in the 70's, Modern Kara, Linda Danvers, Power Girl, and Kara from Crisis on Infinite Earths.

So it goes.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-06-28, 11:07

And I think she's sporting the FAINT-EST of 'toes on the left side coming in.
¡Damned!

2006-06-28, 11:14

Hey, it was the 70s. All the chick superheroes had 'em.

I think Carol was actually Wonder Woman:

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-28, 11:17

Larry Niven wrote a short piece about Superman and Louis Lane having sex, something to do with the speed of certain things exiting Superman's body in relation to the structural integrity of Louis Lane's body, IRRC.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-06-28, 11:21

Ohmigosh! It is.

As for Supergirl, I dig that one on the lower left in the shorter, sexy hair. My kinda woman.

The rest of them look like they should be on the cover art for 80's Vivid porn anthologies...especially the one with the volleyball boobs. Wouldn't guys go out and rob banks and engage in crime, JUST on the hopes of having her swoop in and deal with you?

"Oh, don't be too rough with me Supergirl! Well, maybe a little...if you want...".
GladToBeHere

2006-06-28, 13:33

Just got back from the movie. Thought it was fantastic. Want to go see it again.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-06-28, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
The THIRD thing I wanted to discuss a bit was the religious symbolism that struck me in about 5-6 places.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-06-28, 14:09

(I have to say I like the volleyball'ed supergirls...)

However, there is no need for all that flesh in children's comics...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-28, 14:11

The average age of the current comics reader is over 18.

They haven't been children's comics in many years.
babelfish

2006-06-28, 14:15

I enjoyed it.

It was pretty cheesey at times, but since I like that kind of stuff I enjoyed it

Effects were great; since it's 4am where I'm writing this from I'm going to postpone a longer review till later.

But I'd recommend it to people.