AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What is this menu item shortcut?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is this menu item shortcut?
RC23

2005-03-22, 20:14

alright.
new mac user.
im trying to do a stepbackward in photoshop, and its that wierd key I have no clue what it is, its only on macs
its like a `/_

or something

where is it, what is it?

thanks
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-22, 20:18

Option, known on PCs as Alt.

Graphically, it means choosing one of two options. Start at the top left, and follow the line to the right. It *could* continue on to the remainder of that horizontal line, but it *chooses* to drop down to the *other* line.

Yeah, it took me a long time to figure what the heck it meant too.
Mister Black

2005-03-22, 20:19

You are referring to the Option key, also known as alt. Use it in conjunction with command (apple key) to perform various tasks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-22, 20:20

Read my signature! I should give you fifty lashing for that. I'll edit your thread title, but don't do it again.

That said, there's a recent thread here that answers your question: Wrong icons on files, uninstalling apps, menu shortcuts, etc. Please search or browse the Genius Bar before starting new threads. Chances are good, like this, that your question has already been answered.

From that thread:
Quote:
So, quick summary:
  • The cloverleaf (campground) symbol is the shortcut for the command key.
  • The hollow up arrow is the shortcut for the shift key.
  • The carat is the shortcut for the control key.
  • The "split path" is the shortcut for the option key.
The UP arrow is used for shift because shift usually makes something UPPER case. The "split path" as I called it is used for the alt/option key because it looks like a symbol you'd see for taking an alternatate/optional route on a trail. The carat has always been the control symbol in Unix and Linux command lines over the years. I find that understanding the meaning behind the symbols like this has helped to keep me from mixing up the control and option symbols (which I used to confuse regularly).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RC23

2005-03-23, 02:00

muchos gracias Jose
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-24, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Graphically, it means choosing one of two options. Start at the top left, and follow the line to the right. It *could* continue on to the remainder of that horizontal line, but it *chooses* to drop down to the *other* line.
Wow, no kidding... I never thought of it that way.

I can't remember when I saw that it means the option key -- it's been a few years.