AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Biggest Pet Peeves?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Biggest Pet Peeves?
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 13:55

I hear that on "The Sopranos", Scorsese movies and "Rocky". Never really heard it in real life, only because I'm not up north (seems like a more northern thing?). We speak correctly down here, and say "y'all", which is the proper way:

"Did y'all see that movie? It was sweeeeeet!"

See the difference?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-08-15, 13:59

That's so true. The last time I drove south we stopped just before the border to get coffee and the cashier said, "yous guys wants some donuts with that." The next day when we ordered breakfast at The Waffle House the waitress said, "y'all want some coffee with that." The next time I head south I'm going to map the boundary between Yous Guys-ville and Y'all-town . I imagine it'll still match up nicely with the Mason-Dixon line.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-08-15, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerangmacuser View Post
Incorrect spelling of stationery. i.e. I'm off to Staples to purchase some stationnary. Drives me nuts.

Stationery: Paper and pencils.
Stationary: Not moving.

Brad has his apostrophe's', I have my stationary.
Huh. I didn't even know there were two ways to spell it. I'll have to remember that one.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-08-15, 14:08

Oh, I forgot. My biggest pet peeve is stupid people.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-15, 14:08

I hate it when people deliberately try to be as obnoxious, crass and offensive as possible in the pursuit of attention. The thing is, when it's so obvious you're trying to get a certain reaction, it doesn't offend or embarrass me at all; I just don't react. I'm spiteful that way. People in their 30's don't do it as much as, well, everyone in their late teens and early twenties. I don't see it as much. But when I do run into someone who is still like that, I just act completely bored. I will never give those folks the satisfaction of negative attention.

Actually, the only thing I hate more than behavior like that, is smarmy behavior that reinforces it. "I can't believe you're saying that out loud! You're too much! You really are!"

Seen too many couples in this pattern.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-15, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
I was taught the same thing when I was learning; this was about five/ six years ago, now. I questioned him on that and he said it was a an extremely common mistake to always signal - apparently if you signal while no one's around, it's marked as a minor fault. But I've not driven at all since I got my licence.

edit: this is in the UK, btw.
That could be the difference, because we get marked if we don't use the signal, no matter what.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-15, 14:40

OK, as far as driving is concerned, by far my biggest pet peeve, aside from people forgetting to look both ways before gunning out into the road, is when people use their turn signal as they're turning!

You see, you want to tell people that you're planning to turn because it means you have to slow down or possibly move towards them. This in turn will give you proper warning to give them room to perform their turn. When you use your signal as you're turning, it's a moot point. I can see your car turning already, thank you. That you've decided to flip your signal on while in the act tells me that either you've learned to do this simply to avoid a ticket, that you cannot think out what goes on 6" past your nose, or that you simply do not have the faculties to comprehend the concept of a "signal".
Boomerangmacuser

2007-08-15, 15:42

On the turn signal peev-edness front; I hate the ones that just do a single flash of the signal and immediately hop to the next lane. If you're lucky and/or obsevant enought to catch the lone 3-millisecond blink, you only have enough time for half you life to flash by before the guy jumps in front of you.

Some newer cars have a minimum of three blinks even if you just tap the turn indicator. That still doesn't prevent the driver from hopping lanes though.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-08-15, 16:13

I thought that everyone knew that a turn signal is a warning to everyone around you that I am moving my car over to the next lane so you better move. At least that was how people used turn signals in the Boston area.

Pet Peeves:

1. Hearing anyone use Ebonics/REbonics (red neck bonics)
2. People who drive slow in the fast lane
3. People who leave their turn signals on...forever
4. TV adverts that are MUCH louder than the movie/show you are watching
5. DVD's that will not allow you to skip new releases or some other crap so you can just WATCH THE FRIGGING MOVIE!!
6. Having to repeat myself more than twice

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-15, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
1. Hearing anyone use Ebonics/REbonics (red neck bonics)
Heh yeah... otherwise known as "Bluebonics" or "Cauceezy"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-15, 16:33

Here's one:

That stupid, overdone, clichéd "operatic chorus" you see in every movie trailer.

It's become the new "In a world...", and it overplayed its hand a good year or so ago. But it's still being used all the time. Go to Apple's QuickTime movie trailers and pick out a few flicks of the sci-fi/action/fantasy/thriller genre. You'll see.

I can't stand it. It just, to me, says (sing to the theme of the opera chorus) "Hack, hack, hack, hack...I'm derivative! My trailer looks and sounds like every other one! Hack, hack, hack; I'm following the trailer playbooooook! Yes I am, yes I am; Quick-cuts! Fade-to-black! Ominous words up on the screeeeeeeeeeeen! [explosion] Hack, hack, hack...I wish I had some originality! This movie will be shitty, and I'm dressing it up as best I can...but I'm using a tactic that was passé in early 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

There. How's that for a "pet peeve".

In fact, I won't go see a movie if it has a trailer like this. I figure if they're this unoriginal and by-the-book on a one-minute trailer, what are the chances that they're going to do entertain, dazzle or enlighten me for a full two hours? Stick your movie in the Trailer-O-Matic, hit a few buttons and be ready for multiplex magic!

Unch

2007-08-15, 17:03

I have a few:
  • Probably only a UK thing, but I can't stand Chavs that listen out loud to their shitty "RnB", "Hip-hop", "Dance" or "Urban" music on their mobile phones. It's bad enough that they have to assault my ears with that by-the-numbers shite, but do they have to really do it through the worst, tinniest, distorted speakers known to man?
  • People who walk on the cycle paths when the footpath is clear and then get arsey when you try to pass them
  • Self-important Bloggers
  • GM-TV
  • Mockneys
  • Obnoxious charity workers that try to extract your bank details out of you while you're out in the street.
  • Spelling and grammar pedants on the internet. Sure, retarded "txt-spk" and the like are incredibly annoying, but I think some people take it waaaaay to far.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-15, 17:11

Too many "a"s in waaaaay.
Anonymous Coward

2007-08-15, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
You see, you want to tell people that you're planning to turn because it means you have to slow down or possibly move towards them.
Doesn't work for me sometimes. I look back to see that there is a reasonable gap in the lane in which I want to turn, then wait about 3 to 5 flashes, but as soon as I signal, I can see the car speed up to close the gap.

If I were a mildly aggressive driver, I know that there was plenty of time and distance to move over, but since I usually plan my lane changes in advance, I just console myself with the knowledge that I still have plenty of time to make my maneuver.
¡Damned!

2007-08-15, 17:13

Not enough "h"s in Farenheit.

¡Damned!

2007-08-15, 17:19

People that use multiple 'returns' just to lay one goddamn smiley at the bottom end of their post.

Assholes.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-15, 17:20

Post whores who can't just edit their previous post, but rather create another post to up their post count and by proxy, their Internet dicks.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-08-15, 17:21

Ah. That's called a dramatic pause. No problem with that, surely?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-08-15, 17:21

I agree.
¡Damned!

2007-08-15, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Post whores who can't just edit their previous post, but rather create another post to up their post count and by proxy, their Internet dicks.

I glad somebody got it.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-15, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
People that use multiple 'returns' just to lay one goddamn smiley at the bottom end of their post.

Assholes.
I have no idea what you mean.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-15, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Ah. That's called a dramatic pause. No problem with that, surely?
Fine by me.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-15, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
I agree.
See above post.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-15, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post

Are you talking to me?
Is it 1981?

2007-08-16, 04:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
  • Probably only a UK thing, but I can't stand Chavs that listen out loud to their shitty "RnB", "Hip-hop", "Dance" or "Urban" music on their mobile phones. It's bad enough that they have to assault my ears with that by-the-numbers shite, but do they have to really do it through the worst, tinniest, distorted speakers known to man?
Agreed - especially the way they "sit" on the seat with their legs wide open like some preening tosser. And they're always playing 'Smack That' by A-fucking-kon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
  • GM-TV
The rare occasions I've had the misfortune to watch this, I've always had to turn down the colour saturation settings on my screen. Or at least wear sunglasses. GMTV - the gaudy way to start your day!

Celeb culture
a) If it gets to the point where you're making decisions (life-changing or otherwise) based on what celebs do, any value you had to society has been reduced to a pile of dog ash. Pathetic.
b) How materialistic and shallow is the whole 'celeb culture' anyway? That, along with Hollyoaks/ Radio 1/ Heat magazine/ WAGs/ E4 (et al) is responsible for a lot of what's wrong with Western culture right now.

The way Mail doesn't hide at startup
Someone had to say it

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-08-16, 04:21

oh and Puff faggot Daddy, ArserUsher, Ben Asslick Afflek, Nicole Kidman, Posh Spice.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-08-16, 04:26

Thanks for reminding me Scratt - any artist that uses swear words in their music - when they are only artists who sell to kids - and the radio edits get censored. Gwen Stefani and Britney Spears being examples of this.
Is it 1981?

2007-08-16, 04:48

scratt - I personally wouldn't put Nicole Kidman in with the others you mentioned. Though I wouldn't mind putting something else in (edited for reasons of taste and decency - or lack of)

I've been looking at Gwen Stefani at work for the past several weeks now, and I'm sick of her.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-16, 04:55

Any company that makes outlandish claims to get press attention and then fails to live up to them.

Y'know, the Asus Eee? The Linux-based mini-notebook with a 4GB flash drive for only $199? Now, it's the mini-notebook with a 2GB drive for only $269-$299. I mean, I'm glad they beefed up the battery a bit, but at that price, why not just get a bargain basement "real" notebook? Hell, by the time it finally ships, Black Friday will be right around the corner, and you'll be able to buy a "real" notebook for the same price...

And I knew they'd make their money on accessories and options, but when the entire computer is $269, charging an extra Benjamin just to upgrade the flash drive to 4GB (y'know...what it was supposed to be in the first place) is kinda a lot. I mean, $369? I can go to Circuit City right now and get a Vista laptop for that much.

Basically, they doubled the price of the Eee. But I guess a $369-399 notebook wouldn't have turned quite so many heads...

Anyway, this brings me to my all time ultimate pet peeve. Mini-notebooks without a usable right shift key. The up arrow key does not belong between the question mark and the right shift key! Squish the d-pad, drop it down a row, whatever. It's such a simple change...but nope, nobody's going to listen enough to fix it. That - more than the small size of the keyboards - is what makes those things a pain to type on.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-08-16, 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981? View Post
I've been looking at Gwen Stefani at work for the past several weeks now, and I'm sick of her.
She's visiting us this weekend.. Where she's playing in Bangkok is just over from our condo..

I'll be sure to let her know how you feel..

Personally I am hoping she's bringing her red cheerleading outfit.. Yummy!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2007-08-16 at 05:16.