Tabs on top?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-06-17, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Check software update people.
POSTING FAIL.

Lazy much? If you're going to post a new thread like this, at least have enough courtesy to copy the update description from Apple. This is akin to posting a thread with a link and zero original content, except it's worse since there's not even a link or a description of its content.

For the record, the update is just a bugfix for iPhoto users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
This update addresses incompatibilities between Safari 4.0 and certain features in iPhoto '09, including Places and Facebook publishing.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
GOLDFRAPP

2009-06-17, 20:49

Bah, no Safari update for those of us on Snow Leopard...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-06-17, 21:00

Sucks to be a beta tester.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-06-17, 21:19

Or a torrent leech.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-06-17, 21:28

I'm starting to get pissed about all these recent Apple updates requiring a restart. What is up with that? There is no reason.
noleli2

2009-06-17, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I'm starting to get pissed about all these recent Apple updates requiring a restart. What is up with that? There is no reason.
Since Safari 4.0.1 fixes compatibility with some websites, presumably there's a new build of WebKit, which, as a system component, explains the restart.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-06-17, 21:31

nolei2 beat me to it.

(But part of me wonders if Apple just does it to piss of BU).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-06-17, 21:31

When you change low level code, a restart is needed though. Webkit is used by a lot of things in OSX, a seemly small change may not really be that small.

We all tried to post the same thing.
noleli2

2009-06-17, 21:41

But on the other hand, with the exception of the every-six-month major releases, I never have to restart Ubuntu for updates. What do they do differently?
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-06-17, 21:42

Personally, apart from for personal satisfaction with uptime on my own server, I don't really give a damn about restarting. I must be the only person in the world who shuts down all his computers at night...

I guess I am old school.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-06-18, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
POSTING FAIL.

Lazy much? If you're going to post a new thread like this, at least have enough courtesy to copy the update description from Apple. This is akin to posting a thread with a link and zero original content, except it's worse since there's not even a link or a description of its content.

For the record, the update is just a bugfix for iPhoto users.
First of all "Lazy much?" Totally unnecessary comment. Secondly i did post this in a hurry, and, on reflection maybe it wasn't worth posting about.

And finally, I was not going to respond to your comments, but felt the need to after what i considered to be a "heavy handed response".

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-06-18, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
First of all "Lazy much?" Totally unnecessary comment.
Not really. The Posting Guidelines are rather clear about posts with a relative lack of content, of which yours was clearly one. This isn't supposed to turn into a news ticker, after all. The point is to contribute your own take — even if it's something as benign as "took 'em long enough".
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-06-18, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
When you change low level code, a restart is needed though. Webkit is used by a lot of things in OSX, a seemly small change may not really be that small.

We all tried to post the same thing.
Why is a restart needed? Why can't that stack just restart itself? Restarting should be unncessary
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-06-18, 17:55

Ha, I remember when I was going for my 100-day uptime record a year or two ago. I ignored like 3 security updates and a bunch of other stuff until after I'd reached it. Software Update took FOREVER once I finally ran it.