User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Anyone else's podcasts downloading SUPER slow on iPhone/iOS?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone else's podcasts downloading SUPER slow on iPhone/iOS?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-16, 12:45

Not sure if this is an iOS, iPhone or Podcasts app issue. Music downloads okay, as do App Store updates. Fast as always. Podcasts, however, downloaded on my iPhone through the podcasts app, is insanely slow. It used to zip through a 30-40MB download in 10-20 seconds. I could watch the progress bar just scoot along. I'd cue up 4-5 downloads and they'd all be on my phone within a couple of minutes.

Now (and I think this is iOS 6 because it was doing this on my iPhone 4, now that I think about it), each download takes about 4-5 minutes. Takes forever to download 4-5 episodes.

Any ideas? Anyone experiencing this too?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2012-10-16, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Not sure if this is an iOS, iPhone or Podcasts app issue. Music downloads okay, as do App Store updates. Fast as always. Podcasts, however, downloaded on my iPhone through the podcasts app, is insanely slow. It used to zip through a 30-40MB download in 10-20 seconds. I could watch the progress bar just scoot along. I'd cue up 4-5 downloads and they'd all be on my phone within a couple of minutes.

Now (and I think this is iOS 6 because it was doing this on my iPhone 4, now that I think about it), each download takes about 4-5 minutes. Takes forever to download 4-5 episodes.

Any ideas? Anyone experiencing this too?
Are you doing it over cellular data? I've noticed that when I download things larger than 10MB (most podcasts I download are ~25MB), ATT will give me the first 9.7MB and then stall. I can kickstart it again if I pause for a minute and then resume. Otherwise I'm severely downgraded. And this is on a 2GB plan where I use well under 500MB every month.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-16, 13:25

I never do stuff like this over cellular (I'm on the $15/200MB plan, as I'm surrounded by wifi most everywhere I go and do any large downloads that way).

No, this is via wifi, here at home with my insanely fast Internet. Surfing and everything else here on my iPhone is fast as can be. Same with iMac.

Just podcast downloads on the iPhone, since iOS 6.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-10-16, 13:51

The Podcasts app is a steaming turd. I'm willing to blame it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-10-16, 14:56

I will pray for your soul for using the Podcast app.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-10-16, 16:27

I know, my first thought was Paul has given this app more chances than anything deserves.

Podcasting, the app we point at the make people stop talking about our Map app.