User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September Event
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-12, 18:32

Is it getting to be that time of the year again?

Predictable:

iPhone 14 in various sizes/configurations
iPhone lineup rejuggle-ating
Apple Watch series 8 something or other
"Our cameras are the best-ish — again!"
AirPods Pro 2

Less predictable:

iPad 10th-gen
Apple TV 7th-gen
SomethingSomethingSomething

I think Mac news comes late October or early November, so no surprises.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-13, 03:34

I just wish they’d care more about these events. So formulaic, predictable, rehearsed.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-08-15, 14:53

I wonder why they bother, just post a press release and don’t waste peoples time. Haven’t been able to stand watching these events for years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 15:15

I saw a rumor that the event is supposed to be the 6th of Sept. That would be kinda neat. I'm not interested in a new phone so I'm more along for the curious ride. The lack of a mini means I'm likely to have my phone for a long time. I love my mini and no desire to move up to a bigger phone, let alone the expected iPhone 14 Max (non-pro).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-15, 15:18

The event will be 90 minutes long: 30 minutes to talk about new cameras, 15 minutes to talk about new processors, and 45 minutes to makes sure all the inclusion boxes are checked.

I'm buying my daughter a new Watch this year, so that's the only bit I even care about.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 15:22

It is time to upgrade Mrs T's Watch but not sure I'll make it happen this year. Maybe. She is on an S4 or 5 I think. Long in the tooth. Actually, she using my S4 Sport right now because he battery wouldn't last for a half day. As in, about 6 hours of use only. God forbid she starts a workout, then it is good for about an hour.

Maybe I should go a head and get her Watch replaced. It really sucks right now as I read what I've writing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-15, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It is time to upgrade Mrs T's Watch but not sure I'll make it happen this year. Maybe. She is on an S4 or 5 I think. Long in the tooth. Actually, she using my S4 Sport right now because he battery wouldn't last for a half day. As in, about 6 hours of use only. God forbid she starts a workout, then it is good for about an hour.
Hm, maybe a battery replacement is in order? Typically $79.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-15, 15:56

Yeah. I think you are right.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-08-15, 21:59

I'm curious about this event since it seems as if the iPhone mini will be replaced with a larger iPhone model, to go along with the two sizes of the iPhone Pro.

I love my mini and would love for a pro version of it, but it looks like I'll have to get a much larger phone if I want to upgrade.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2022-08-16, 12:49

I'll probably forgo a phone upgrade this year – the rumored bits aren't that exciting imo - but I do have a hankering for a new Apple TV. I'm still rockin' an HD and it's about time, if only for the fancy new remote.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-08-16, 13:11

I bought a new Apple TV remote a few weeks ago to pair with the ATV 4K that I already have. The new remote is definitely an improvement over the older one, but the ATV box itself could seriously use an update.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2022-08-17, 13:31

Gurman says 7th of September. The more I hear about this 'low-end' iPad the more I'm interested. Could be nice to have floating around the house as an extra device.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-24, 11:42

Well, I guess it's official. September 7. New iPhones. New Watches.

Someone will be happy.

Very early announcement. They typically wait until the week before. This is two weeks away. Unusual.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-08-24, 11:50

Was looking for a new pair of AirPod Pro's since my case is on the way out. Just ordered a replacement case off Ebay so if that holds up then I'm off the market until next years revamp with USB-C comes out.

Will 100% be buying a new Apple Watch. My S4 is struggling these days. Battery life is not great anymore. It's due for one anyone.

Last few years I've ordered a new iPhone and bought them outright and would trade in my previous years for a nice credit but they leave little to be desired anymore. Honestly, there really hasn't been any great improvements over the last 4-5 years or longer, aside from camera and 5G.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-24, 12:12

I'm still interested in seeing what is revealed but not likely to buy anything. Still debating the Watch thing for Mrs T, but that is likely to just be a battery replacement via Apple.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-24, 12:31

I wonder if Apple will move the iPhone to usb-c ?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-08-24, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The couple things I've read are that they are going to that next year along with the AirPods case. Putting it off because European Regulations don't kick in until next year.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-24, 13:33

This is one of the reasons that I went with a regular 13 instead of a Max. There are big changes coming to the iPhone in an upcoming update, probably with the 15?

New charging port.

Homegrown modem.

VR flange set.

Fingerprint button.

Tapered design.

Etc.

¡Damned!

2022-08-24, 14:29

Not in the market for anything this time around, but curious what the 'Far Out' tagline might imply. We know the rumor mill is saying upgraded 48MP camera sensors, so is that it? The better low-light ability to grab some astro pics? Gotta be something more than that. Maybe satellite connectivity? Return of the Flower Power color? Size of the camera bump? Projected shipping times?

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-24, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Projected shipping times?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-24, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I think Apple is more likely to just drop the wired connector altogether than switch to USB-C, outside of Europe where they have to. Apple makes good money licensing the lighting connector.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-24, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Apple makes good money licensing the lighting connector.
Do they, though?

I know that there's a license involved, and some amount of profit is probably a safe assumption, but has there ever been anything published about how much this banks them?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-24, 18:23

The bigger issue involves governments mandating USB-C, negating the possibility of adopting a better standard down the line somewhere. If the law is inflexible, then we will all be stuck with USB-C 50 years from now.

Because gubmint is slow!

I'm glad Apple is headed toward USB-C, but I would rather have Lightning and it's future replacement than be stuck in one standard until the government can be convinced to change its stupid path.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-24, 18:57

My point is it won’t matter what the EU mandates, Apple is going to go to wireless only charging, there just won’t be a physical connector at all. All the EU mandate says is that if there is a physical connector it has to be USB-C, if there isn’t one it won’t matter.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-24, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Do they, though?
I know that there's a license involved, and some amount of profit is probably a safe assumption, but has there ever been anything published about how much this banks them?
Hard to say, I doubt they would have done it that way if they weren’t making a profit. This is Apple we are talking about after all.
chucker

2022-08-25, 02:38

We don’t really know for a fact, but I think the primary reason we’re on Lightning is as simple as: it was a good choice in 2012, and they don’t want to keep changing ports every few years because customers really don’t like it. Royalties are secondary to that, is my guess.

In retrospect, perhaps it would’ve been better to stick to 30-pin until ca. 2015 and go straight to USB-C. But maybe they didn’t know when they were designing Lightning how soon USB-C was going to be an option.

Instead, they’ll have a third port after another ~11 years. That’s not so bad.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-08-25, 03:38

Is the continued use of the lightning port a reflection of Tim Cook's more conservative approach to hardware?

chucker

2022-08-25, 03:46

I think they saw a lot of backlash moving to Lightning in 2012 when a lot of people had 30-pin accessories from earlier iPhones and iPods.

These days, it probably matters less, but still… CarPlay adapters, for example.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-08-25, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think they saw a lot of backlash moving to Lightning in 2012 when a lot of people had 30-pin accessories from earlier iPhones and iPods.

These days, it probably matters less, but still… CarPlay adapters, for example.
This, there are plenty of vehicles, even brand new MY2022/2023, that require a wire for Apple CarPlay or Android auto. If Apple goes wireless for all connections, that will be a hiccup.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-25, 15:23

I remain skeptical that Apple will go all-wireless/no-port because that still seems like a stupid nightmare situation. Maybe that's just my hope and desperation speaking, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.