Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Dock.app is always open on Dock

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dock.app is always open on Dock
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2007-08-13, 20:48

I was working with TransparentDock in an effort to customize my dock...decided I didn't like it, and deleted the program. Dumb mistake.

I managed to restore my dock to its original format for my admin and my normal login account...but now any new account I create (I created a Guest Account as well) has the Dock.app icon in the dock as an active program:

If I force quit the app, it just comes back as the dock refreshes. I'm sure the solution to my problem is dirt simple, but I can't think of it. How do I get rid of the Dock.app in the dock for my guest account? What .plist do I have to deep-six, what permissions do I have to repair? As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 20:51

Drag the Dock.app icon to the Trash?
lightning_bug

2007-08-13, 21:08

Tried dragging the icon to the Trash, wouldn't do anything. Force Quit just refreshed the dock with the icon in it. I may have to create another account just to make sure that this isn't a single account deal...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-13, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
Tried dragging the icon to the Trash, wouldn't do anything. Force Quit just refreshed the dock with the icon in it. I may have to create another account just to make sure that this isn't a single account deal...
Dragging an icon to the trash from the Dock won't do anything. You need to drag the application to the trash. But don't do that because it's not your typical program. Download the program again and uninstall it properly.
lightning_bug

2007-08-13, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Dragging an icon to the trash from the Dock won't do anything. You need to drag the application to the trash. But don't do that because it's not your typical program. Download the program again and uninstall it properly.
By the application, I'm guessing you mean the Dock.app? Where would I find a proper backup of that app, on the install discs?

I tried to reset the dock from the my admin account's copy of Dock.app with a reinstalled copy of TransparentDock...it didn't like that idea. Said my admin account's password was not invalid, a network path error of some sort. I've since re-uninstalled TransparentDock and its preferences and .plist files...no dice.