User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Which graphics card do I have in my Dual G5?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which graphics card do I have in my Dual G5?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-10, 02:54

Is there a fool-proof at the keyboard way to find out exactly which card you have in your Mac, specifically my Dual G5.

The reason I ask is that it was a BTO G5 and should have the 'Pro' version of the 9800..

However, I have never even verified it and the other day I decided to check, just out of curiosity and realised that it could be anything... A 9600, 9800 whatever.. I really don't know.. And the info you get in the system profiler does little more than confirm the onboard ram!

I am not that fussed and am sure it is what it is supposed to be.. Just wondered if there is any way of checking?

Thanks...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-10, 03:05

System Profiler doesn't have the title of the card in the PCI/AGP section? Just curious, since my PB shows up as a Geforce FX5200, so I'd assume ATI cards would show their model.

Is it first or second generation PMG5? If it's first generation, the 9600 Pro has 64MB, while 9800 Pro has 128MB. If it's second generation, the 9600XT has 128MB, while 9800XT has 256. That should help you narrow it down.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-10, 03:08

Also, if you open up the case you should be able to visually identify it. It may possibly have an ATI or nVidia logo on it, but the easiest way to tell is to check the heatsink. If it has a fan, it's a 9800. If not, it's a 9600. It's cool - even though almost all 9600s on the PC side of things have fans, Apple uses a fanless version. You could try ATICelerator to both check the status of your video card and also to try getting a little overclock out of it. And you should consider installing the ATI Displays control panel so you get nice features like OpenGL overrides.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 04:00

MCQ, Luca... Thanks to both of you...
Some information there that I think will solve that for me.

It has a fan and I seem to remember the 350 designation in the 'name' given in System Profiler having something to do with the clock speed... Must just go double check on accelrate your mac.

btw - Have any of you tried overclocking the 9800 Pro? 'Cos that is what I think it is?
I had read a few articles and kind of decided not to since I saw warnings about overheating and not actually getting much more performance for the potential risk..

Just interested if anyone has anything to add?

Thanks again.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'

Last edited by scratt : 2005-01-10 at 04:28. Reason: so many typos.. I must be pissed or stoned, or something!!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-01-10, 04:01

My Bro checked for this as soon as he got his G5. If you boot off the hardware test CD, it will tell you what kind of card you have.

Nowadays, the easiest way is to download this and open the Preference pane.

Some overclocking programs are here, but I don't recommend using them and they also void your ATI warrantee.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-10, 05:23

I've overclocked a 9800 Pro before. It didn't go very high above stock speeds before losing stability, but I think I had it running at least a little above normal just fine. Default clock speed for the 9800 Pro is 380 MHz core, 680 MHz DDR. I got mine to 400/700 or something like that. I didn't see any change in performance, though.

Technically it would void your warranty, but the only way that would come into play is if you actually wrecked your graphics card doing this. If you set it back when you're done and you don't do any damage, no one will be able to tell. And damage will only result if you leave it running at too high a clock speed for too long. Generally, the computer will shut down or you'll see artifacts before it starts running so hot as to cause damage. The way I see it, it's just kind of a hobby-like thing you can do, and just set it back once you've messed around with it. At least with the 9800 Pro it is, as they don't overclock much.

If you have a lower-performing Mac, especially one with a 9600 Pro, then I'd suggest trying it out. A friend of mine got a nearly 100 MHz overclock out of a fanless Apple 9600 Pro. Should also work pretty well with eMacs, and maybe even iBooks. The Radeon 9200 is a cheap, low end card with a low clock speed so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a much better overclock than a higher end card like the 9800 Pro.
scratt
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 05:31

Cool...

So it's not just gonna go whizz bang pop then!!?!? That is good to know.

Bearing in mind that you confirm the fact that it's not a great speed enhancer on the 9800 then it is as you say, a hobby thing. Cool to do for kicks and personal education..

I am going to find my anorak...