Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari resource hogging

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari resource hogging
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-07, 15:10

Ever since I got Safari 2.0.1, it seems to hog much more system resources than I would expect. I noticed it mainly because I was trying to switch between tabs while a page was loading, but it wouldn't let me - it just beachballs.

So I ran Activity Monitor, and Safari uses 70-80% of CPU when loading a page. Is this normal? I'm sure I used to be able to flip between tabs and let other tabs load in the background before.

I'm running a 17" Powerbook, 1.33ghz, 1GB ram, 10.4.2 and Safari 2.0.1 (412.5)

In other news, I'm tempted by Omniweb. Does anyone here recommend it?
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-09-07, 15:19

I use OmniWeb, and personally I love it. I'd be hard pressed to choose between it and Safari if I had the choice, but...well, I don't. My Safari is completely bugged up since 2.0 (it crashes almost every time you close a window or tab), and I have no idea why or how to fix it, so I've essentially abandoned it in favour of OmniWeb, which is fine, because OmniWeb's great.

If Sogudi didn't exist (it adds a certain utterly indispensable feature into Safari that's built in to OmniWeb), OmniWeb would win by a mile. As it is...I think it probably still wins, purely because its tab system's so much better-implemented. I never would have imagined how much I love having my tabs in drawers before - they're SO much more easy to manipulate than Safari's, and they come with pretty page previews ^^