Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.19 (The Wild Update)
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 11:03

The Wild has been loosed!

Lots of neat stuff in there. My son has been playing snapshots for a while and the Deep Dark is pretty intense at times.

This is certainly a worthy update for personal servers... so the next question is when should we look at updating the ANMC server?

Oh, iOS updates for 1.19 are available to DL too if you play on mobile.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-07, 12:05

Looks fun1

I think 709 is gonna crap hisself over those mud blocks.

And frogs!!
¡Damned!

2022-06-07, 12:19

The mud stuff does look fun. And I'm all for another wood type, especially since it's more of a nicer red color than the crimson shroom log things. Not sure I'll have much use for the allay mob, but the warden and frogs (& tadpoles!) should add a bit more danger and ambiance.

Is this a world trim before upgrading? I'm pretty sure the 'biome blending' works between all updates now, so we could trim and still get our nice borders, I think. There's a few areas I've built on since then – I'll pull up that old trim map and mark them down asap.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Is this a world trim before upgrading? I'm pretty sure the 'biome blending' works between all updates now, so we could trim and still get our nice borders, I think. There's a few areas I've built on since then – I'll pull up that old trim map and mark them down asap.
The official wiki page for 1.19 seems to support this!
Quote:
Upgrading of old worlds
  • Now support 3D biome blending, so it blends the underground biomes as well.
I keep telling myself I'm going to find time to get back in the server for another adventure, but I never manage to find the time. Life never stops being busy! Gotta try to change that at least for a while around this update.

Takes note to check resource pack for updates…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2022-06-07, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The official wiki page for 1.19 seems to support this!
Nice! There's just one new biome topside (mangrove swamp) but maybe we should trim anyways to get maximum Deep Dark / Ancient City areas underground.

Here's a new map with the additional areas requested - it's just keeping new rail and lookout towers, really:

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-08, 12:36

I'm good with a trim for sure. Brad, I put a copy of 1.19 on the server in /opt/minecraft/versions-local/1.19.x-vanilla. That is in case you have a hankering to tinker in the backend of the server. I've got a ton going on and not really going to be able to devote time to this in the near future.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-08, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm good with a trim for sure. Brad, I put a copy of 1.19 on the server in /opt/minecraft/versions-local/1.19.x-vanilla. That is in case you have a hankering to tinker in the backend of the server. I've got a ton going on and not really going to be able to devote time to this in the near future.
👍

I know that feeling! I'm penciling in some time to give 1.19 a test spin this weekend.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-06-13, 07:24

Quote:
Nice! There's just one new biome topside (mangrove swamp) but maybe we should trim anyways to get maximum Deep Dark / Ancient City areas underground.

Here's a new map with the additional areas requested - it's just keeping new rail and lookout towers, really:

The terrain blending is working pretty well these days. I’m good with removing r.-6.0 from the list to be saved.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-16, 20:54

I took 1.19 for a local test drive today. It felt pretty much the same as 1.18, but I didn't go deep enough to encounter any of the new underground stuff.

I didn't get to touch anything last weekend, but this weekend I'm hoping to refresh my resource pack and try a dry-run of the world upgrade locally to be sure there aren't any surprises when we run it on the server.

I also took a look at the current state of overviewer (the tool that powers mcmaps.applenova.com), and they don't have an update ready for 1.19 changes yet. It seems that it'll run and generate tiles as usual, but new block types will be invisible. I would imagine that's probably okay for us, but I figured I'd mention this to drop it on turtle's radar for later, and as a heads-up before we do any server upgrades.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-17, 07:46

Thanks for looking at that. I noticed Overviewer never did add the lower depths for 1.18 yet. At least not that I have seen. Maybe I'm just running a really old version at this point.

¡Damned!

2022-06-17, 08:51

Quote:
I took 1.19 for a local test drive today. It felt pretty much the same as 1.18, but I didn't go deep enough to encounter any of the new underground stuff.
Yeah, for a so-called 'Wild Update' it's pretty tame. There's grousing online about Mojang overpromising and having to back off on features to make a deadline, but that kind of grumbling happens every update (and I've participated in some of it! ). I'm OK with a few new block types and an OP baddie, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I noticed Overviewer never did add the lower depths for 1.18 yet.
Or the upper height limit from 256 to 320. Still a nice reference to have.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-17, 08:55

Quote:

I assumed that, but haven't tried to touch the sky yet so I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that though.

I think I read that the core code for Overviewer is why they are struggling to get past the new upper and lower limit. I should look into it again though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-17, 10:44

Quote:
Ugh. Now I have to build Tall Town higher!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-18, 15:38

Fuck you, Microsoft.

I literally just created a new Microsoft account and went through the forced migration a few days ago, and they're already screwing me over. I've done literally nothing with this account after creation other than log in and play Minecraft in single-player mode for a few hours. I knew this would be disastrous since I read this was coming a year ago.

Guess I won't be updating anything for 1.19 today.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-18, 15:41

I might just have to give up on Minecraft if this nonsense persists.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-19, 00:06

Got through with another phone number. What a major pain in the ass.

I'm a little extra salty with the Microsoft login process because I've been having to deal with them with increasing frequency at work, with half a dozen different logins in my password manager, and I loathe to endure the pain of Microsoft SSO in my leisure time on my personal computer too. I've managed to avoid it for all these years until now.

¡Damned!

2022-06-19, 16:31

Ugh. I did the migration back in September and it was not easy. Resetting passwords, site hangs, etc... I must've tried 4 or 5 times to get it to 'stick' before it finally did. I think I remember Drew having some sort of glitchiness too. Sorry it was a pain.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-19, 16:55

I pulled a backup of the server world yesterday, and I just did a local test after pruning regions as indicated in 709's post (minus r.-6.0 per Elysium's post), and it looks like the biome blending is still really good!

I flew out to the border between r.-6,0 and r.-5,0 to see how it performed, and I am impressed. Preserved r.-5,0 on the right, deleted and newly generated r.-6,0 on the left. If not for the occasional blocks of snow (???) between them, I wouldn't have guessed where one started and the next began.

¡Damned!

2022-06-19, 17:43

Quote:
If not for the occasional blocks of snow (???) between them, I wouldn't have guessed where one started and the next began.
There used to be a massive snow biome to the west of E's before we... changed seeds? Or maybe the seed is the same and the biomes got Mojang-scrambled during one of the last couple of updates? Definitely leftover from that previous frozen area. And yeah, the biome blending in general is insanely impressive.

I love this world building game-ish thing, obviously, but even I can't keep track of all the slicing and dicing we've done over the last decade (!!!). The best part of the whole thing has been being able to chat with fellow ANers IRL, honestly. Or maybe screwing with Ken is the best part. Or dying on any adventure that involves Drew. It's definitely one of those things.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-06-19 at 17:54.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-19, 19:50

Quote:
There used to be a massive snow biome to the west of E's before we... changed seeds?
Ahh, yes, that would make sense! It's been so long since I went out that way, I'd completely forgotten what the previous region looked like.

Quote:
I love this world building game-ish thing, obviously, but even I can't keep track of all the slicing and dicing we've done over the last decade (!!!). The best part of the whole thing has been being able to chat with fellow ANers IRL, honestly. Or maybe screwing with Ken is the best part. Or dying on any adventure that involves Drew. It's definitely one of those things.
Hear, hear! I haven't been around nearly as much as I was in the golden days, but the live chat and adventures were always a perk. Maybe we should try to arrange another adventure alongside this update.

Seeing as the updated biome blending works very well, I felt a bit more adventurous and tried surgically removing some of the smaller 16x16 chunks inside one of the larger region files to see what Minecraft would do. I don't have any tools to quickly and easily feed in a bunch of options, but for a few very specific locations, I can use a local editor to strike some out and for Minecraft to regenerate them just like in the old days. There have been a few Cliffs of Jeb™ from our previous migrations that always bothered me. Take this cliff, for example, on the east side of r.-2,0.

If I remove just a few bothersome (and uninhabited) 16x16 chunks right along the edge, then voila!

It works exactly as I hoped, smoothly replacing with new ocean/island terrain between the two watery sides.

What do you think? Are there other region edges like this that could stand to be nuked and reformed with a smoother transition? The biggest drawback is I have to do the file editing locally. So, whenever I do this, I need to stop the server for a while to make sure nobody is working in the same region files that I'm editing.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-19, 21:08

Good heavens, yes. Using that same approach to clean up the eastern cliff of the the Tranquility lake/basin:

That's still just working on my local copy, but I think I'm so satisfied with what I've seen that I'm now officially open to taking requests for more.

Also, here's what everything would look like with my current region trim selection, outside of those smaller chunk cleanups:

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-06-19, 21:21

Quote:
Good heavens, yes. Using that same approach to clean up the eastern cliff of the the Tranquility lake/basin:

That's still just working on my local copy, but I think I'm so satisfied with what I've seen that I'm now officially open to taking requests for more.

Also, here's what everything would look like with my current region trim selection, outside of those smaller chunk cleanups:

That’s awesome with the local blending. One area that could definitely use a blend trim is the mesa boundary at r-5.1 and r-4.1.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-19, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
That’s awesome with the local blending. One area that could definitely use a blend trim is the mesa boundary at r-5.1 and r-4.1.
Good idea!

In some places, the blending is pretty good, but in a few spots, Minecraft kind of goes nuts and makes giant spires at the edge instead of smoothing, even after deleting the same chunks a couple of times. Still, I think it's more good than bad!

¡Damned!

2022-06-20, 08:24

That's 100% amazing. I would've thought that deleting smaller chunks like that would pull from the seed to regenerate instead of blending existing biomes. Super cool!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-20, 13:14

I think it looks fine.
¡Damned!

2022-06-21, 15:13

Quote:
Maybe that badland area on the north edge of r.-1.2? It could spill over into the tiaga there without affecting anyone. There's also the west edge of arteggio's frozen area (r.1.-2) but I have no idea how much mining or underground work has gone on over there so I wouldn't feel comfy giving it a rec. iJak & Gleek have a cabin to the west and they might have something down there as well.

[edit]: These aren't necessarily requests, btw, just places that I've seen Cliffs of Jeb™.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2022-06-22 at 08:44.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-21, 21:23

Wow, I'm REALLY impressed with this. I don't have any requests but love the updates!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-22, 17:35

Nothing major to update here other than I upgraded my home MC server my son (an I occasionally) plays on and no issues at all. It pretty much runs the same version as the ANMC server and I use it like a pre-production test bed.

¡Damned!

2022-06-23, 09:13

So..... it is safe for me to fiddle with the Overworld before we move to 1.19? I don't want to do too much craziness if it's going to interfere with this surgical blending.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-23, 10:23

I'm going to let Brad manage that part since he's engaged in that. Seems like as long as you aren't near a major chunk border (that is being trimmed) you would be fine though.