AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Taking Pictures in Public

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Taking Pictures in Public
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-07-25, 22:33

OK so you're walking around in public and see a really interesting looking person who you want to photograph. What do you do? Do you try to sneak candids or do you go and talk to him and ask to take his portrait? What's standard etiquette / protocol with this sort of thing? If you DO take candid shots of people you don't know, do you tell them? What if they see you taking pictures of them and get all up in your bizness?

For that matter, how do those of you who are more serious photographers go about your business? Have you learned to ignore your sense of uncomfortableness (and maybe even shame)? You're in a crowded place and see that getting down on your stomach could produce a really nice composition, how do you feel about stuff like that?

And finally, if you wish to share some anecdotes, what are the funniest/most awkward/interesting encounters you've had with people while taking pictures?

There seems to be some natural awkwardness to photography (in public places), and since I've gotten my new camera and been taking it around to a lot of places, I've started to experience that awkwardness more and more. How do you overcome it? Just ignore it? Are there more graceful ways to go about snapping pictures?
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-07-26, 01:38

Well, my understanding of photography-related law (I am not a lawyer, of course) is generally:

-You can photograph anything and anyone in a place where they have no reasonable expectation of privacy: i.e., public property (parks, streets, etc.) Caveats: you cannot use subterfuge (hiding in bushes, behind objects, etc.) in order to photograph people, even if they are in a public place, and you cannot photograph someone who does have a reasonable expectation of privacy (out of the way places, restrooms, etc.). You and your subject have to be out in the open.

-On private property, you generally must have the owner/tenant's permission. Malls, shopping centers, and the like may have their own specific policies.

Generally, if you're looking to take a picture of a specific person or group of people out in public, it's considered good etiquette to ask them first - but it is not legally required, as long as you're abiding by the above guidelines. The rule of thumb: if they're in public, easily visible to people around them, you can snap them.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-07-26, 08:22

Long lenses are really helpful here. I knew a rich spoiled brat young woman in college who had an enormously long lens just for this purpose. Note that some photogs will ask people for their permission on the street too, a la Scott Schuman (aka, The Sartorialist) or Kirk Tuck. Depends on what you want out of the photograph.