AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Insult my code (pt. 1)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Insult my code (pt. 1)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-04-17, 00:08

The reason we program in an OO syntax is to facilitate code reuse, modularity, readability, and maintainability. It also allows our programs to be structured in a way that is easily describable and replicable, so the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented for every problem.

I say facilitate because all computer languages when reduced to machine code are in fact linear.

To say a language really is OO even if its syntax looks like a shell script might be technically correct depending on the language (I too know nothing about ruby), but completely misses the point of OO.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-17, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
The reason we program in an OO syntax is to facilitate code reuse, modularity, readability, and maintainability.
All of which can be done in Ruby. My above code was a terrible example of that, but that's the very reason this code exists.

Quote:
To say a language really is OO even if its syntax looks like a shell script
Here we go again. Whether a language is statically- or dynamically-typed has absolutely NILCH to do with its OOP-ness. It's purely the developer's preference. Same for whether a language is managed or requires manual management. Same for whether it's interpreted or compiled.

None of these have to do with OOP.

Quote:
might be technically correct depending on the language (I too know nothing about ruby), but completely misses the point of OO.
You fail to explain why.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-04-17, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
All of which can be done in Ruby. My above code was a terrible example of that, but that's the very reason this code exists.

Here we go again. Whether a language is statically- or dynamically-typed has absolutely NILCH to do with its OOP-ness. It's purely the developer's preference. Same for whether a language is managed or requires manual management. Same for whether it's interpreted or compiled.

None of these have to do with OOP.

You fail to explain why.
Alrighty, I'm fairly certain I didn't mention anything about static or dynamic typing, interpreted or compiled code, etc.

I thought I had said "why" in the first paragraph, but I'll give it another try.

From the computers perspective, all programs are linear. They start at 10 START and finish at 100 FINISH. The computer doesn't care whether it is object oriented or if you wrote the program in ruby, java, or c, because it never sees that.

So what is a programming language exactly? It is a language readable by humans for talking to machines. And because we are humans, we have further typed and subdivided these languages into other categories and given them labels. Object oriented is one such label.

Without going into what Object oriented programming is (as that was covered in another thread) I want to explain why we use it.

-It's easier to read. By giving classes and their methods meaningful names we have a much better idea what they are for.

-It's easier to reuse. A collection of data and functions to manipulate that data and other data are encapsulated into a class. This class can then be used in any program without even looking at the code if documentation is provided.

-It's easier to maintain. Because classes are separate from each other, you can easily make changes to one class without affecting the rest of the program.

-It allows programmers to visulize programs and properly label specific computing problems that occur frequently. Because of this communication we have been able to identify said problems and come up with solutions for them so that each programmer who encounters the problem will not have to rethink the problem. In other words, it has made it easier for programmers to talk about their programs.

You'll notice that all those reasons specifically have to do with programmers. Computers don't care about any of them.

So OO is a human concept created by humans for humans. Allow me to reiterate my earlier comment.

Quote:
To say a language really is OO even if its syntax looks like a shell script might be technically correct depending on the language (I too know nothing about ruby), but completely misses the point of OO.
To classify a programming language as OO can be quantified. Does it do this? can it do that? etc. if it checks all the right blocks than it is indeed object oriented. You'll notice that defining something in this way is purely mechanical, but the OO structure was not developed for machines, it was developed for people.

So whilst a language may check all the blocks and meet the requirements for being calling OO. If it doesn't confer the advantages of being OO then what is the point? It's just a label.

For example, the base object. If a method is automatically added to the "base" object how is this object oriented? Well by mechanical definition it might very well be, the interpreter has instantiated a base object in memory and added a method pointer to it's method index that may now be called by other subroutines. But has it made it easier to read, easier to reuse, easier to maintain, or easier to talk about? A machine might call it OO because it meets the definition but in my eyes it falls short, OO was created for me, not machines.

In the same way human language shapes thought processes, programming languages shape computer programs. In my eyes a "proper" OO language facilitates the creation of proper OO programs through its structure and syntax.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-17, 04:11

Quote:
Alrighty, I'm fairly certain I didn't mention anything about static or dynamic typing, interpreted or compiled code, etc.
No, but others did.

Quote:
For example, the base object. If a method is automatically added to the "base" object how is this object oriented?
What gives you the idea that there is a "base" object? And even if there was, it would be purely optional.

As you state yourself, it's all about human choice. Certain things may be easier to do in a non-OO context.

So this is your only concern? That messages can be sent outside an explicit object? You made a very long post if you only had one single point.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-04-17, 04:39

My smaller post was geared towards the Ruby is an OO language discussion, and my larger post was to explain "why" because you stated that I failed to explain why.

Basically my point is that OO code should look OO. If it doesn't look OO even if it is technically, then of what use is it?

I personally have no concern, I'll learn and use Ruby if I'm ever in a situation where it would be advantageous to do so.

Last edited by AsLan^ : 2006-04-17 at 04:48.
chucker

2006-04-17, 05:01

I strongly disagree with a notion that a language should limit its user's freedom for the purpose of "cleanness". Python, for example, enforces a certain typography, if I'm not mistaken, something I simply can't live with. A computer should give me the freedom to operate in the way I want to.

Take HTML: you can have a page that is well-formed and validates, yet it can be semantical nonsense. It's up to the author to fix that, not to the language.

Likewise, Ruby doesn't force me to write clean OOP. It doesn't keep me from doing so either, but it doesn't insult me with "I don't like your code". That's not its job. That's the job of human peers.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-18, 03:06

Hey chucker just noticed this on digg..
I don't know if you frequent digg or not but it seems like quite a nice little blog entry with loads of resources on Ruby..

http://ibloggedthis.com/2006/04/16/r...inks-and-more/

Enjoy.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
chucker

2006-04-18, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Hey chucker just noticed this on digg..
I don't know if you frequent digg or not but it seems like quite a nice little blog entry with loads of resources on Ruby..

http://ibloggedthis.com/2006/04/16/r...inks-and-more/

Enjoy.
Yeah, I frequent digg. But that's Rails, not regular Ruby. Rails is a web framework for Ruby, something I've experiemented with before; it's very well-designed, but I'm currently rather interested in desktop apps.

(It would be interesting, of course, if one and the same codebase could 'power' a CLI app, a GUI app and a web app.

Thanks anyways.

I've made some significant progress on my code and I suppose I could publish it here again; I'd be delighted to hear what parts of it need to be more OOP
chucker

2006-04-18, 04:10

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby require 'socket' require 'iconv' # conversion between native and Windows-1252 # constants: some of these should eventually be moved inside explicit objects; # others are just fine this way an dothers again (e.g. DefaultHost) will # eventually fit inside a settings mechanism Version = "1.0d7" ProtocolVersion = "1" DefaultHost = 'cho.cyan.com' DefaultPort = 1812 DebugPort = 1813 C2SLoginCommandID = 10 C2SQuitCommandID = 15 C2SPrivateMessageCommandID = 20 C2SRoomMessageCommandID = 30 C2SWelcomeCommandID = 40 C2SIgnoreCommandID = 70 S2CNickErrCommandID = 10 S2CNickSetCommandID = 11 S2CPrivateMessageCommandID = 21 S2CRoomMessageCommandID = 31 S2CWhoListCommandID = 35 S2CWelcomeCommandID = 40 S2CIgnoreCommandID = 70 # as specified by RFC 822: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt CommandTerminator = "\r\n" NativeEncoding = 'utf-8' # assume the system you're running CCCCCCC on isn't from the past CyanChatEncoding = 'windows-1252' GroupUser = 0 GroupCyan = 1 GroupServer = 2 GroupGuest = 4 # These will go away once we have a settings mechanism Timestamps = 1 RotateLines = 1 Nickname = "cccccccTest" # String mixins class String # add string conversion for CC's backwards-ish windows-1252 def nativeToCCEncoding begin iconv = Iconv.new(CyanChatEncoding, NativeEncoding) convertedText = iconv.iconv(self) rescue Iconv::IllegalSequence # TODO: return some decently converted string puts "faulty nick" convertedText = "faulty nick" rescue Iconv::InvalidCharacter puts "even worse nick" convertedText = "even worse nick" end end def ccToNativeEncoding begin convertedText = Iconv.new(NativeEncoding, CyanChatEncoding).iconv(self) rescue Iconv::IllegalSequence puts "faulty nick" convertedText = "faulty nick" rescue Iconv::InvalidCharacter puts "even worse nick" convertedText = "even worse nick" end end def cleanupNickname # meet server's criteria for the nickname length and text # nicks must be at least 2 characters, so let's add an invisible character: a non-breaking space newNick = self if newNick.length < 2 newNick += ' '.nativeToCCEncoding end # delete forbidden characters from nickname forbiddenCharacters = [] [',','.','|','^'].each do |character| if newNick.include?(character) forbiddenCharacters += [character] newNick.delete!(character) end end # notify the user of the character(s) at fault if forbiddenCharacters.length > 1 print "Please note that the following forbidden characters were found in your nickname and removed: " else print "Please note that the following forbidden character was found in your nickname and removed: " end forbiddenCharacters.each do |character| print character + " " end puts # trailing newline return newNick end end # a class representing a command class CyanChatCommand def initialize(commandID, arguments) @commandID = commandID @arguments = arguments end # creates a command from the given line def CyanChatCommand.createCommandFromLine(line) if line.length > 3 && line[2].chr == '|' # if command includes arguments parts = line.split('|', 2) commandid = parts[0] arguments = parts[1] # this will need further splitting into arguments, in /other/ methods else # command has no arguments commandid = line end return CyanChatCommand.new(commandid, arguments) end def CyanChatCommand.createLoginCommand(nick) nick.cleanupNickname # create login command CyanChatCommand.new(C2SLoginCommandID, nick.nativeToCCEncoding) end def CyanChatCommand.createQuitCommand CyanChatCommand.new(C2SQuitCommandID, nil) # e.g.: C2SQuitCommandID + "\r\n" end def CyanChatCommand.createWelcomeCommand CyanChatCommand.new(C2SWelcomeCommandID, ProtocolVersion) # e.g.: C2SWelcome.to_s + "|" + ProtocolVersion + "\r\n" end # returns a binary representation of the command, ready to send def serialize # append command id bytes = @commandID.to_s # append arguments if @arguments bytes += "|" + @arguments end # append terminator bytes += CommandTerminator return bytes end # return a debug string def to_s return "DEBUG " + Time.now.strftime('%X ') + output + "\n" end end # connection class # manages the TCP connection to the CyanChat server class CyanChatConnection attr_accessor(:tcpSocket) def initialize(host=DefaultHost, port=DefaultPort) @tcpSocket = TCPSocket.new(host, port) @bufferLines = [] end def sendCommand(command) @tcpSocket.send(command.serialize, 0) end # read next line from connection def readNextLine # no buffered lines left: read more if @bufferLines.length < 1 buffer = @tcpSocket.recv(1024) @bufferLines = buffer.split(/\r\n/) end # return first line and delete it return @bufferLines.delete_at(0) end def connected? # FIXME: check whether socket is still open return true end # return a debug string def to_s # make timestamp debug = "DEBUG " + Time.now.strftime('%X ') + "\n" # append all buffered lines bufferLines.each do |line| debug += " " + line.ccToNativeEncoding + "\n" end return debug # TODO: test if this works' # previously: # return "DEBUG " + Time.now.strftime('%X ') + "\n" + bufferLines end end # main class class CyanChatClient def initialize @connection = CyanChatConnection.new(DefaultHost, DebugPort) end def run # send welcome command @connection.sendCommand(CyanChatCommand.createWelcomeCommand) # run loop which reads and reads and reads while @connection.connected? # select socket or keyboard input activeIO = select([$stdin, @connection.tcpSocket]) # handle next line from socket or keyboard if activeIO.to_s.eql?(@connection.tcpSocket.to_s) handleSocketData(@connection.readNextLine) elsif activeIO.to_s.eql?($stdin.to_s) handleKeyboardData($stdin.gets) end end end def handleSocketData(line) puts "### [SOCK] " + line # convert it into a command object command = CyanChatCommand.createCommandFromLine(line) # handle command... somehow # TODO: handle command end def handleKeyboardData(line) puts "### [KBD ] " + line case line when /\/login[\n\r]?$/ puts "=== Logging in!" @connection.sendCommand(CyanChatCommand.createLoginCommand(Nickname)) when /\/quit[\n\r]?$/ puts "=== Quitting!" @connection.sendCommand(CyanChatCommand.createQuitCommand) end end end # main program cyanChatClient = CyanChatClient.new cyanChatClient.run
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-04-18, 08:45

I actually installed Ruby to try this out

You might want to include a "download" link because to cut and paste I first had to pretend like I was going to quote you and then cut the text from the resultant text box otherwise it stripped out all the carriage returns. Perhaps its just a Firefox or Linux thing.

Anyway I like the way you've rearranged your code, although I'm still curious if it's possible to split the classes into separate files.
chucker

2006-04-18, 09:12

Quote:
I actually installed Ruby to try this out

You might want to include a "download" link because to cut and paste I first had to pretend like I was going to quote you and then cut the text from the resultant text box otherwise it stripped out all the carriage returns. Perhaps its just a Firefox or Linux thing.
Must be your system. I just tried to copy and paste, and it copied all whitespace — including tabs, spaces and linebreaks — properly.

In any case, here you go. Slightly newer version too, and I've included some of the remains of the pre-OOPization code.

Quote:
Anyway I like the way you've rearranged your code, although I'm still curious if it's possible to split the classes into separate files.
I've done this before with a different project, and it should generally be fine, using the Kernel class's 'require' method.

I can try and put the CCCommand and CCConnection classes in their own files; give me a few.

Last edited by chucker : 2006-04-18 at 09:20.
chucker

2006-04-18, 09:20

Tarball containing a three-part version of the same code. All I did was split off CyanChatCommand and CyanChatConnection into their own files, core/cccommand.rb and core/ccconnection.rb, then add require statements in main.rb to include them.

Notice that 'require' adds the '.rb' extension to the search path automatically, so I could omit it from the require statements.
chucker

2006-04-20, 13:39

Alright, so, as detailed in my blog, I'm running into a Windows socket handling problem. Specifically, my select() call that switches between keyboard input and TCP socket input doesn't work, as Windows never switches to the latter (or rather, the bug is supposedly, that Windows never stops listening on the keyboard).

Various searches and inquiries on the web, on #ruby-talk, etc. yielded very little useful information.
  • I could use Cygwin's Ruby, but I don't want to, because 1) it's GPL (I don't agree with the copyleft concept) and 2) it's not designed for distribution (it can cause crashes due to Windows's asinine DLL handling, and it's unsupported and strongly discouraged). "Native" (VC++-compiled) Ruby triggers the bug, and MinGW Ruby appears to as well.
  • One person in #ruby-lang said that using Ruby threads instead of select() may fix this, but was very unsure about that, and some research suggests that Ruby threads internally use select() anyway.
  • There's a native threads fork of Ruby, but it only had one release, 0.0.1, and it hasn't been updated in one and a half years, not to mention it's clearly marked as highly experimental.
  • Recent releases of Ruby apparently include support for non-blocking sockets, which I'm told is basically polling instead of notification, i.e. you check a bazillion times a second whether something happened on the socket.

So that basically leaves me with the routes of moving to threads or moving to non-blocking sockets. However, I have found extremely little information about either. Communicating between various objects of one thread to another doesn't seem all that easy, and while non-blocking sockets apparently get activated by using a special parameter, I haven't really gotten that to work yet either.

Worst of all, even with removing the select() call, not accepting keyboard input at all and concentrating on the network socket for now, the app behaves confusingly under Windows. It receives one batch of socket data, then hangs. There's no backtrace either.

On the bright side, I have written a nice little class for storing and retrieving settings using YAML. Would be even nicer, perhaps, if I could extend it to use the Windows registry or plists on OS X, but this solution works fine for now, on OS X, Linux and Windows.

Here it is.
chucker

2006-04-20, 14:39

Actually, scrap all that, I apparently found a solution, namely an exemption in Cygwin's license.
Quote:
[T]here’s a further allowance from Cygwin themselves for open source projects: if you statically (rather than dynamically) link against the Cygwin library, and your app is already Open Source according to the Open Source Definition (which includes your licence), you can basically ignore the fact that cygwin is there.
So, I'll go ahead with using Cygwin for now.