User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Adium Video Chat?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adium Video Chat?
macuser256

2006-07-26, 21:56

I love using Adium but i'm annoyed because I'm always drawn to ichat because I can audio and video chat with all my other iChat using friends. Is there any hope of Adium ever getting video and audio conferencing among iChat and Adium users in the near or even distant future. If Adium could just get this one feature it would become the only chat client one could ever need.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-26, 21:59

Generally, no, not any time soon. At least, not outside of Jabber.

Quote:
Adium does not currently have any Voice or Video (webcam) Chat functionality. The Adium team is aware that many users want to be able to audio/video chat.

Adium depends on libgaim for its protocol-level functionality, which means that information sent or received over (most) protocols must go through libgaim. We therefore can not offer audio/video capabilities until libgaim does; the Gaim team is working on implementing such features, but there is not currently any ETA on when they will be available.
macuser256

2006-07-26, 22:03

thank you very much that pretty much answers my question
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-27, 02:12

Yeah, 'cept Adium has abandoned libgaim in favor of joscar.

How this changes their plans for video chat is impossible to tell. It will do one of two things:

Push video chat even farther out because joscar is a younger, newer interface when compared to libgaim.

On the other hand, because joscar is better and the developer seems to be more on the ball than the guys over at libgaim are, it might happen sooner.

But really, its a complete crapshoot. It'll get here when it gets here

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-27, 02:25

^ From what I've read, it will probably be a year or so at the least.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-07-27, 02:30

I would use skype for my video from now on. Saying that, the skype IM feature itself ain't too shabby.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-27, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit
I would use skype for my video from now on. Saying that, the skype IM feature itself ain't too shabby.
Ditto. That's what I'm probably going to do.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-27, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
Yeah, 'cept Adium has abandoned libgaim in favor of joscar.

How this changes their plans for video chat is impossible to tell.
The change only applies to OSCAR, i.e. .mac/AIM/ICQ. It doesn't apply to MSN or Yahoo!, nor to any other protocol (though Jabber and Jabber-based, e.g. Google Talk, protocols are being moved away to different libraries as well).

It also has no effect on audio or video.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-28, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The change only applies to OSCAR, i.e. .mac/AIM/ICQ. It doesn't apply to MSN or Yahoo!, nor to any other protocol (though Jabber and Jabber-based, e.g. Google Talk, protocols are being moved away to different libraries as well).

It also has no effect on audio or video.
But isn't video chat conducted over OSCAR? (That is, .mac and AIM?)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-28, 06:42

Neither joscar nor Libgaim provide any video chat support.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-28, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Neither joscar nor Libgaim provide any video chat support.
Well, obviously, because if they did it would be easier for Adium to provide it.

My question was, isn't video chat conducted over OSCAR?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-28, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
My question was, isn't video chat conducted over OSCAR?
Only for AIM because OSCAR is a protocol only for AIM.

Keep in mind, though, that OSCAR is a closed, publicly undocumented (at least officially) protocol.
chucker

2006-07-28, 11:44

Yes, AIM video chat happens through OSCAR (and thus, as of Adium 1.0, would be handled, in part, with the joscar library). MSN video chat happens through MSNP, and thus through Libgaim; same for Yahoo! video chat.

But there's many, many aspects to implementing it. One aspect is reverse-engineering how that part of the protocol actually works, which hasn't been thoroughly done. Another is hooking up QuickTime, Quartz Composer or something similar so you can get access to a video input source (read: a camera) and somehow serialize and encode that motion image (probably through QuickTime) for transmission, and to decode and deserialize (again, probably through QuickTime) the incoming motion image from the other person. There's an awful lot of work involved in getting that to work at all, and much, much more to get it stable.