Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

How Long until Full Screen iPod & OSX 10.5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How Long until Full Screen iPod & OSX 10.5
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turano

2007-01-09, 15:55

I am thinking that these will be a separate announcement as there was no further information on 10.5 and no mention of traditional iPod upgrades/improvements.

Will the traditional iPod just fade away, with Flash chips increasing in size and decreasing in cost will this BE the future iPod?

Any idea of when? Will Vista get out of the "Gates" first?

Turano

13" Blackbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 20" Cinema Display
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-09, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turano View Post
no mention of traditional iPod upgrades/improvements.
Huh? It's only been updated a few months ago. Why would there have been such a mention?

Quote:
Any idea of when? Will Vista get out of the "Gates" first?
Before 10.5? Absolutely. Vista has been done since October, has been available to some since November, and is coming to retail and OEM this very month.
turano

2007-01-09, 16:20

I only assume that the iPod will follow in the footsteps of the new iPhone to give users access to the new navigation tools which will then fuel sales for the iPhone.

I am thinking that AAPL has something up it's sleve for 10.5 so it may be waiting for Vista to launch and then smack it down before it gets too hyped up this launch will come with updates to iLife.

13" Blackbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 20" Cinema Display
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-09, 16:22

The next HD based iPods will probably look just like the iPhone, and probably have a similar interface as well.

And their probably not that far out, either.

On Vista and Leopard: we've known Vista was coming several months before Leopard for a while now. I dont think there's any reason for schedules to change.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
chris e boy

2007-01-09, 17:41

I could really go for an iPhone without the phone bits. or even just the music and video bits would do really.

I assume Apple need to be careful not to take any wind out the iPhones sails (or sales even) before it goes on sale in June though so im not really holding my breath.

If Apple had released an iPod similar to the iPhone I would have bought it on the spot.

As for Leopard. Have to say I was really disappointed it was a no show. If we don't get enlightened this week I guess there will be a special event to show it off, which would be... strange.
DarthMathicus

2007-01-09, 17:47

except if it's a special release event..?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-01-09, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
I could really go for an iPhone without the phone bits. or even just the music and video bits would do really.

If Apple had released an iPod similar to the iPhone I would have bought it on the spot.
Me too, without hesitation. Release this thing sans-phone and I'll be all over it. I don't even care if it's flash. I'd buy an 8 GB non-phone version of this for $300, no problem. Maybe even for $400.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Gizzer

2007-01-10, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
As for Leopard. Have to say I was really disappointed it was a no show. If we don't get enlightened this week I guess there will be a special event to show it off, which would be... strange.
I think it makes sense to have a special event for the 10.5/iLife launch. Trouble with those is that they tend to be Press-only events. I don't know about the rest of you but there's never the same electric atmosphere at these events due to the lack of 3700 fever-pitched Mac fans!

Steve at a press event: "And the final top secret feature of Leopard is that Time Machine really does take you back in time"
Press: Slight nod of approval.

Steve at a Macworld keynote: "Looky here - if I click this button on the screen, it highlights in a slightly hazy shade of blue"
Macworld Audience: "OMFG OMG OMG" "Steve for president" "Woo hoo" "I think I've just wet my pants" "Wooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo!"

Something as big as Leopard needs the latter in my opinion
noleli2

2007-01-10, 10:09

I'm in the same camp with chris e boy and fcgriz: drop the phone and make that the new iPod.
Personally, if they could keep the WiFi and Bluetooth, and use the extra space by removing the phone to squeeze in a 40 GB harddrive, I would be willing to spend $300-$400 right now for it.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-10, 10:55

I'd pay $500 - $600 for the iPhone without the phone but add the 80GB HDD. Heck, I paid $500 for my 20GB iPod back in 2002. Still waiting for something big in order to upgrade and the iPhone - phone + 80GB HDD would be that something.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2007-01-10, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turano View Post
I only assume that the iPod will follow in the footsteps of the new iPhone to give users access to the new navigation tools which will then fuel sales for the iPhone.

I am thinking that AAPL has something up it's sleve for 10.5 so it may be waiting for Vista to launch and then smack it down before it gets too hyped up this launch will come with updates to iLife.
But surely if apple release information about Leopard before Vista is on the shelves for Consumers, then people who are wanting to buy a new computer will look at Vista and then look at leopard and possibly go for an Apple Mac instead...

As it stands, most people know what is in Vista already, but we don't know what the top secret features are in Leopard to entice Windows users...

Obviously it makes no odds to me as will get Leopard whenever it is released, but I had Vista on my Work's PC but removed it a month later (if not less) because this User Security thing even though I was an admin it popped up with everything and anything reglardless - don't get me started, it was crap and gave me a headache!!

Bring on Leopard! and iLife 07!!!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-10, 13:18

I would also plop down a wild sum of money to own an iPod with the iPhone interface. I'm almost positive that Apple will sell one of those soon, the coverflow feature is to die for...

It's so gorgeous. The software makes up for an almost lack of physical hardware. I guess that's the point!

There's nothing left to take away!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-10, 13:30

I wonder what the cost difference would be to add the 80GB HDD while removing Bluetooth, WiFi, mic, speaker & possibly the proximity detector (could still be useful to shutoff display when iPod put in pocket). I want to upgrade my 2G 20GB iPod at some point but now I want the iPhone's beautiful interface & display on it, but can't hang with the 4 or 8GB song/pic/movie space.
noleli2

2007-01-10, 13:31

While I agree that Cover Flow is absolutely amazing, if it's just an iPod, the wheel interface is better (even if it's a software wheel) than scrolling. Being able to use the internet capability using WiFi would be the only thing that would make me go for this over the current iPod FF.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-10, 13:39

I think that if the phone components were taken out, the price of manufacturing the device would drop significantly. You're right: remove the phone/internet stuff, the camera, and the mic and you might be able to get the price to $599.

People would pay $599 for an iPod with that UI. And actually, I don't think it would need a software scroll wheel...the new scrolling seems much more natural. It's basically the same as what we do now with our trackpads or a mouse with iTunes menus.

And yeah, get that thing out there for $599 and in a year it could drop to $399...and so on.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-01-10, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
I think that if the phone components were taken out, the price of manufacturing the device would drop significantly. You're right: remove the phone/internet stuff, the camera, and the mic and you might be able to get the price to $599.

People would pay $599 for an iPod with that UI. And actually, I don't think it would need a software scroll wheel...the new scrolling seems much more natural. It's basically the same as what we do now with our trackpads or a mouse with iTunes menus.

And yeah, get that thing out there for $599 and in a year it could drop to $399...and so on.
Way high. I see 80 and 100 GB versions of this for $349 and $449, sans all the phone bits.

The 30 GB (40?) stays at $249 to reel in the cheapskates, with no changes to the current model.

I also see 10 and 20 GB iPhones before christmas, perhaps even before launch.

(Such an iPhone capacity increase would probably come hand in hand with nano bumps, I see 5 GB, 10 GB and 20 GB nanos as well.)

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-10, 16:38

For 2.5 years of R&D....I don't know if I am "way high."
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-10, 16:44

The actual cost of making the iPhone has been estimated to be between $600 and $1000+ USD*, so I'm not sure that just taking the phone part will drop it down to $249.

*Word is that AT&T is subsidizing some of the cost, therefore making it $499.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-10, 16:50

They certainly are subsidizing. A contract-less phone would easily be upwards of $1k. This won't be a more affordable device for a few years to come.

Steve stated in the CNBC interview that they'll drive the cost down as soon as they can, and that if he could, he would prefer to offer it for $99.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-10, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
The actual cost of making the iPhone has been estimated to be between $600 and $1000+ USD*, so I'm not sure that just taking the phone part will drop it down to $249.

*Word is that AT&T is subsidizing some of the cost, therefore making it $499.
Eh? It's common knowledge that the final price includes the 2-year contract stipulation. That's not new...

I'd imagine a multi-touch widescreen iPod with a 1.8" HDD would still be ~$500 if you remove the phone bits, BT, wifi, camera, etc. That's inline with the original iPod's price, but probably not going to cut it in today's portable media player climate. The appeal of the iPhone is that it does literally everything for a little bit more.

Unsubsidized, I'd figure the iPhone to run between $800-900.

Last edited by Eugene : 2007-01-10 at 17:49.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-10, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I wonder what the cost difference would be...removing...possibly the proximity detector (could still be useful to shutoff display when iPod put in pocket).
Unless one prefers to play their iPod while it's in their pocket.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-10, 18:01

If the consensus is that the iPhone (minus the phone stuff etc) were to sell as the new iPod, it would go for maybe $599? Apple sold an iPod at that price before, I believe.

I would expect them to announce an iPod with this functionality within this quarter, then.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-10, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Unless one prefers to play their iPod while it's in their pocket.
I believe he meant that the sensor could be used to shut off the display *backlight* while in the user's pocket.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-10, 18:43

Quote:
If the consensus is that the iPhone (minus the phone stuff etc) were to sell as the new iPod, it would go for maybe $599? Apple sold an iPod at that price before, I believe.
Consumers are no longer willing to pay $500-600 for a portable media player. They aren't cutting edge anymore.

Quote:
I would expect them to announce an iPod with this functionality within this quarter, then.
I would expect them to be smart and not kill the iPhone hype before it's even released. A widescreen multi-touch iPod would make a perfect gadget gift for the 2007 holiday season though.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-01-10, 19:23

Whatever they do with the next iPod, I think they should copy the case styling from the iPhone, it's way sexy. I can't stand the look of the current video iPods: rounded corners on the bottom, sharp corners on the top - WTF?? The iPhone just looks like something you'd want to carress.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-11, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Consumers are no longer willing to pay $500-600 for a portable media player. They aren't cutting edge anymore.

I would expect them to be smart and not kill the iPhone hype before it's even released. A widescreen multi-touch iPod would make a perfect gadget gift for the 2007 holiday season though.
They're different devices and markets, it won't hurt the iPhone at all.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-11, 20:22

Quote:
They're different devices and markets, it won't hurt the iPhone at all.
You are really, really stupid.
chucker

2007-01-11, 20:37

Blunt.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-01-11, 21:29

Quote:

Quote:
You are really, really stupid.
We'll see what happens.

And I'm stupid, why, because I think the devices are different and are meant for different markets?

By your logic, Apple should just stop selling all iPods now, and force people to either buy a competitor's product or the iPhone as the only iPod option? We wouldn't want anyone to go get an iPod right now, since that could kill the iPhone hype and take away a potential iPhone sale!!!

LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I believe he meant that the sensor could be used to shut off the display *backlight* while in the user's pocket.
You're right. I missed the word "display" in his original post.