AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Working Out – And Suffering

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Working Out – And Suffering
Page 7 of 9 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-05-09, 05:04

Congrats turtle - what a tremendous effort. Big congrats!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-01, 15:15

I never did thank you guys but truly, thank you! It was not easy but I have been maintaining my "weight" while still shrinking. I've had to start wearing a belt again. Funny enough, it is a belt I wore when I was in my 20's. It is a special belt (buckle) from when I was an active volunteer fireman. It feels so good to fit in this belt again. I also had to switch my Watch band to the S/M strap because the M/L doesn't fit anymore!

I've upped my consumption to around 2200 a day average and have maintained right at 162 with ups and downs but trending at that. My pants are getting more and more loose and my tone is getting sharper. The veins in my arms are unreal at this point to me! I don't know that I've ever had visible veins like this. I'm not devoid of fat, and my biceps only measure 13.5" on flex but the veins when working out just blow my mind. I had to get measure by Mrs T because she was buying me a new shirt for outdoor work. I was also shocked to read my other measurements:
Neck: 15.5"
Chest: 43"
Waist (at belly button): 28.5"

I still have more fat to burn and will likely begin implementing 500 calorie fasting (intermittent) again on my strength days with that being all protein. For now though, it is nice to feel like I can eat all I want and still be burning fat!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-01, 15:20

Oh, I also have to throw out there that Mrs T hit her intermediate weightless goal too! I'm going to not give specifics other than to say she was able to enjoy this long weekend without having to watch what she ate really. She is back to cutting again to get down where she wants to be, but I'm really proud of what she's accomplished too!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-01, 15:27

I've been alternating 4-week cycles of cutting/bulking and maintaining 175-180. I'm with you on the veins, though. When I'm lifting, those suckers pop! Never had that before.

I think I'm going to focus mostly on bulking until September, and then do a hard cut before I go on vacation first of October. Then bulk again through the fall and do a soft-cut headed into next spring and summer. Since my goal is muscle mass, I have a long road to travel and have decided to stay on that road. My goals remain the same:

1) Bench 200 pounds (I'm up to 135 from 75 6 months ago)
2) Do 10 unassisted pull-ups (I am now doing pull-ups with a band-assist)
3) Find my six-pack (It is starting to press out through my belly fat)
4) Look good in the mirror

And all of this needs to happen in a sustainable manner, so developing good eating habits, sleep habits, and workout habits is key. And that takes time.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-01, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Oh, I also have to throw out there that Mrs T hit her intermediate weightless goal too! I'm going to not give specifics other than to say she was able to enjoy this long weekend without having to watch what she ate really. She is back to cutting again to get down where she wants to be, but I'm really proud of what she's accomplished too!
This is very good news. Congratulate her for us.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-15, 15:28

I started cutting again. I did a great job maintaining ~162. Now I'm cutting down to 150. I'll be willing to stop short if I get rid of the fat but I still have a healthy coating on my gut and back of my arms.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-15, 15:37

I'm bulking through July, and then cutting hard August/September before I go on vacation end of September.

I haven't weighed in a while, and am focusing on how I fit in my clothes. So far, all is good, and the extra weight I seem to be gaining is all muscle, or mostly.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-22, 15:15

** Caution: Rant ahead **

Well, poop!

So, when I first started doing this I told myself there's no way I'll join a gym. Too many show-offs, ego-lifters, and do-gooders looking down their noses at you. Then, I joined a gym because I wanted access to equipment I needed but couldn't afford. All was going well, with no negative interactions with people.

So, I'm working on the incline bench doing reverse-loaded crunches (50 pounds carried on the way down, you strain against the weight and try to lower yourself gently to the bench, which makes your abs feel like they're in a paper shredder). Anyway, it's not a common exercise, because most people show up and do the same things over and over and over and … bench press, biceps curls, bench press, biceps curls.

So, this lady and her giant boyfriend are next to me on the back-lift bench and I hear him whisper, "look at this guy. What an idiot." Or something to that effect. And she says, "Yeah, I know," and then something unintelligible. They clearly have no idea what I'm doing, but being "experts" have decided that I'm doing it wrong.

I see people every day who are doing their exercises wrong, or ego-lifting, or straining themselves to look good for whoever, but I say nothing. To each their own. That's how I work at the gym. I do my thing, you do yours.

But!

It did make me want to work harder, so I've decided to start my cut now instead of waiting for August. That means it's back to suffering for the next 6-8 weeks while I try to burn off the last useless 10 to 15 pounds of body fat I'm carrying around. Meanwhile, the giant boyfriend still needs to drop 30 pounds.

So, moral of the story: Mock me if you want, because that's just gonna make me press harder.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-22, 21:42

The military gyms were worse. There the pressure to be a gym rat was greater than anything else. I mean, if you were active duty but not working out drinking out of gallon jugs you sucked.

I don't envision I'll ever join a gym. Maybe buy a new home gym machine but that is about it.

I'm really hating the cut session. My body is not enjoying this cutting at all. I'm losing weight, but not as fast as I want and I'm so ready to be done with this. I'm still in the 150's again, but only just barely. Still, less than I've weighed in 25 years at least.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-23, 10:40

Yeah, I hear you, Tony. The hardest thing for me is date-night (which is tonight this week), because I fast on that day so I can enjoy a nice meal with my wife. So, I go to the gym at 6:30, work out like hells-bells for an hour, and then don't eat for 12 hours.

And then I have to contend with the weekends, when the family wants to bake this and deep-fry that. There's a lot of pressure to "eat what's for dinner", but it's usually not in line with my diet. I have to train myself to eat less on the weekends, but then so much food winds up going to waste, and that makes me not only mad, but feel guilty. There's just too much damn food in this country!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-23, 16:03

We are at the point where my kids eat differently than Mrs T and I. They aren't on a limited diet like we are so we always end up eating separately.

We don't have waste, but we are also not doing the big family meal right now.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-06-24, 10:31

So I finally got an Apple Watch a couple of weeks ago. I particularly like that the "goals" are based on Calories burned rather than "Steps" like my old Fitbit - it would frequently nag me despite me doing multiple hours of cycling.

The Apple Watch comes with a free trial of Fitness+, which I really wanted to like...but...unfortunately, it appears that all fitness instructors, of which I've tried a few, grate on me. I don't think it's for me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-24, 11:06

I have no desire for choreographed TV "fitness" instructors, since they mostly remind me of those '70's-era fitness tapes where some pretty girls in tights gyrated for the camera for hours on end, with little old men hoping their wives would watch one of them and suddenly be a pole-dancer.

I can't stand them. Physically fit "health" instructors (for me that means well-built men who have climbed around in that space and have something to teach me) are my go-to.

Find some good YouTube folks (I watch Max Posternak of Gravity Transformations; He's sharp, fit, and doesn't use "bro science"), learn what your body needs, and do a lot of it! Proper diet, proper weight training, proper cardio. Learn to do it right, and then focus on small daily goals, mid-term weekly goals, and long-term health goals. It doesn't happen overnight, nor does it happen in 6 months. It takes years. Unfortunately I only learned this last year, so I have a very long ways to go. I don't suspect I will reach my long-term goals for at least another two years*, especially considering I am still—over a year later—struggling to meet even my daily goals.

Bad habits take minutes, good habits take years. It's a lot of work, especially in the mind.

* Bench 200lbs 10x3; Perform 10 pull-ups 10x3; Build 6-pack abs; Consume a consistent 1700-calorie maintenance diet; Get my family onboard.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-06-24 at 11:17.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-24, 15:00

I think Fitness+ isn't even available here.

I get that Apple wants to make sure they have translations, but… why not just let me watch it in English?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-24, 15:10

Aren't German laws pretty tight in health related things? I take for granted so many things that we can have online/on-air here in the States.

I'm to where I only do one HIIT a week with Fitness+ but I do like it when they aren't trying to force an awareness special down my throat. I'm here to workout, not anything else. That being said I like just about all of the HIIT trainers. I don't think I've disliked one of them yet. I haven't done treadmill or core yet. I do "Mindful Cool Down" and those aren't bad even though they could easily push a religious belief at me but they don't.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-06-24 at 15:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-24, 15:30

I was gonna say, Deutschlanders get a whole new set of regs, don't they?

Might be something in there about getting shot if you aren't perfectly lined up?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-26, 14:31

Well, back up the thread aways I told a story about how some self-appointed gym experts were quietly giving me a hard time about my workout, and that I had decided to work more on cutting. I mean, in an ideal world the male human body can shuffle in a whopping 1 pound of muscle in any given month and, spread out over the entire body, it's pretty hard to see any results for many long months, or even years. Thus, I decided to work on cutting out the remainder of my excess body fat rather than focusing on muscle growth. Mostly because it's a lot harder to cut out that last ten pounds — comfort-wise, anyway — than it is to just lift a bunch of heavy weights.

So, I set out a month ago to knock out 20 pounds and wanted to post an update on my progress. When I posted my rant, I was weighing in at 178-180 every week (once again, I found my maintenance level and was comfortable there). I wasn't gaining, I wasn't losing. Today, I weighed in at 168.5. I like to round up, so I've cut 10 pounds in 4 weeks. 2.5 pounds per week is hard, too, especially as the body fat comes off and you start hitting those hard-to-hit spots: The stomach, the love handles, and the lower back. Apparently, there is very little blood flow to that stuff, so it is extremely hard to metabolize, and harder still to get to it without burning off muscle. It's, well, hard!

I restructured my diet to about 1200 calories/day M-F before accounting for calorie-burn during my workouts. I was actually knocking out about 4 pounds/week, but I kept losing progress over the weekend. I mean, it's camping season, already! Beer and burgers, baby! BUT! Those beers and those burgers were really ticking me off, so this last weekend I decided on a different weekend approach. I took only two beers camping, and focused on eating less goodies. Thus, I went into the weekend at 168, and came out at 168.5, whereas last weekend I went in at 168 and came out at 172! And that was a heartbreaker. I mean, I suffered all week and lost all of my progress over the weekend.

My own fault.

What did I learn? The primary culprit is the beer and the mixers. Last weekend I had 6 beers, and 4 whiskies with either coke or lemonade. So, that's 10 total ounces of alcohol and 4 high-calorie mixers, as well as all the trimmings with meals. I pigged out! However, this just past weekend I felt very much more in control and, although I did splurge on the goodies a bit more than I wanted, I booted the alcohol by simply not having any extra with me, and no mixers at all. 1/5th the alcohol, and none of the sugary wonderful. It helped a lot!

This weekend there are no campings planned, but I have much easier access to my stash, so it will be fun trying to keep it under control. But, now that I can see the difference I'll have a better insight, and I plan to keep it under control for the simple reason that I want to hit my goal by the end of August. That is, between 155 and 160.

Also, this week is a "rest" week in both diet and workout. Lower weights, higher reps at the gym, and I'm taking in an extra 300 calories (or so) each day. By Friday, I hope to have gained nothing. However, if I lose a little that's good, and if I gain a pound that's okay, too. Then, next Monday it's back to the hurt for 4 weeks.

You can do it! 🤬

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-26, 16:03

You can do this for sure! Heck, this thread helped me get going on my journey for better health. I'm right at 160 still after hitting a maintenance level. I'm still pushing my weights but not focused on burning the fat off specifically anymore. Heck, my neighbor noticed the weight loss and asked if I was going to start eating again soon. Seems I'm smaller in everyone else's eyes than my own.

I still see the fat covering my abs. At least I can see my veins when working out now so I know I've cut the 40 pounds of fat from my body since around New Year's Day. I mean, 40 pounds!

I'm stronger than I've been in 20 years or so too. Now so that I don't obsess over the smallest bit of fat I'm letting those close to me help me see what point I need to stop cutting and start maintaining.

In one of the videos you, Ken, posted there was a comment about guys disappointed with their body because their biceps was 16" instead of 17". I realized I don't want to go down that road. My real goal is healthy level of body fat and stronger that I have been. I have hit that. Now it is to maintain that.

Sure I'm still increasing the weights as they get easier. However, I'm eating 2200 calories consistently now. My "maintenance" level per Lose It is 2300 calories. I'm giving myself that extra 100 off for things I forget to log or mismeasure.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-26, 16:08

Good work, Tony. The point behind all of this is to hit a different level of consistent, healthy eating and exercise. I still have my physical goals, but developing those habits of good eating, exercise, better sleep, etc. is the end game.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-09, 19:14

I'm still grinding every day. Been maintaining weight between 180-185lb while pretty eating what I want within reason and drinking beer. I'm on the Peloton every day and lifting at least 4x a week. Last month I went over 800mi on my bike. Did 1h45m on it for 38.54mi. I'm up over 1900cal and 167m on my Apple Watch today. Body is really starting to change in terms of muscle mass and definition.

I'm currently on pace for over 900mi this month on the bike. Well see how my body feels though. I love the challenge.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-10, 11:27

Keep working, Yontsey!

I weighed in yesterday at 199.8 169.8, and this morning at 166. Pretty sure that's all water-weight.

Once I get below 160 I'm going to find my maintenance level and take a break for a couple weeks (break, as in diet ) and then sort out a bulking diet that doesn't balloon me back up.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-08-10 at 11:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-10, 11:53

33 pounds of water weight? Am I reading this correctly? Did you type a wrong number somewhere? Or did you drink a swimming pool yesterday?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-10, 11:56

Ooops. Yeah, that was supposed to b 169.8. Thanks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-10, 12:00

Okay...whew. I just kept thinking "there's no way that can be!"

I'm not Mr. Health & Fitness or anatomy/biology, but I was thinking "is that possible in 24 hours?! Does he have to buy new clothes every other day?"

Yeah, 3-4 pounds is more like it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-10, 12:07

Yeah. 33 pounds would be possible only if a lion chewed off my leg!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-10, 12:19

Yonstey! That is amazing man. Keep at it. I bet your body composition is completely different with that kind of activity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
33 pounds of water weight? Am I reading this correctly? Did you type a wrong number somewhere? Or did you drink a swimming pool yesterday?

I was thinking the same thing!

Personally I'm still at my maintenance level. I'm around 158 and have been around there since leveling off a bit ago. Still working out daily though less intensive on the weekends. Weekdays though, I'm digging in. Working on being very intentional with my weights now. Focusing on form and not "slinging" the weights. It has made it harder for some of the moves that I've been doing for a while though I have also been steadily increasing the weight levels themselves too.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 13:45

So, here's something. The other day I was thinking about how much weight I've lost (35 pounds so far) and I wondered what that actually felt like just to carry around. I've been hauling around dumbbells at the gym upwards of 70 pounds each, and deadlifting 200, and it occurred to me that I could just pick up a 35 pound weight and think to myself, "Self, you don't have to carry that around anymore". And …

Holy crap!

I was carrying around that much fat?

Losing 35 pounds doesn't seem like much until you've lost it, and then have to lug around an equivalent weight for even a few *seconds*. Damn, people. I've never discovered or even heard of doing that, and I cannot imagine a better way to get through to someone just what it is they're carrying under their skin.

Seriously, ask yourself these questions:

1) Am I overweight?

2) By how much?

Now, go find an equivalent weight and pick it up. Yes, you have that much fat on your body. Now, do something about it!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-19, 13:52

I feel you. I'm down 78lbs from my heaviest. I think about that every day when I lift.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-19, 14:02

Yeah, wow. The heaviest barbell I've picked up is 70 pounds. I know what it feels like to lift it, and the thought that I would have to carry around another 78 pounds every day is just … eye-opening. Congratulations to you, and here's to your health, Yontsey.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-08-19, 14:27

Thanks brother! Needless to say, my back and knee pains have mysteriously disappeared.....